First time to hunt mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time to hunt mountains

I have a bear hunt planned with a friend in Idaho for the latter part of May - first part of June.

I guess you could say it’s a “semi-guided” hunt. My buddy has a friend that lives there and he will be our guide. I don’t know the guy, other than following him on social media. He will be with us, at least until he gets tired or I decide to trek out on my own.

We are not hunting with bait or dogs. We will probably spend a lot of time hiking, sitting, and glassing.

I’ve never been to Idaho, and I’ve never hunted in any mountains. The most relevant experience I have is chasing aoudad afoot in the Trans-Pecos area of Texas.

I’m going to ask our “guide” if there is any special gear I will need, but thought I would ask the Green Screen as well.

I think I’m most worried about staying dry. I have 3 pairs of hunting boots and I’m taking all of them just in case they start to get wet and not dry out.

I don’t have any waterproof hunting clothes other than a thin jacket.

Right now I’m thinking I need to get a good pair of waterproof pants or overalls, and a good pair of medium-weight waterproof gloves.

Who has recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides water proof gear, invest in a couple pairs of quality socks. Your feet will thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff995 View Post
      Besides water proof gear, invest in a couple pairs of quality socks. Your feet will thank you.

Thank you. I bought one good pair of socks last year just to see if I could tell a difference when I’m covering a lot ground versus the cheap socks I usually wear and they are definitely worth it!

I plan on having enough good socks to wear a fresh pair each day.

Comment

I have been eyeballing the KUIU pants with the padded knees. Anybody used them? Anything similar that anyone would recommend?

Comment

I have done a mule deer/elk hunt in Idaho. It was amazing. Good luck. I am no help on rain gear, sorry.

I can tell you get in goat shape, it will give you an advantage over others doing the same thing you are.

Comment

Hiking and climbing in the mountains with overalls on would be awful. Shoulder straps tugging all the time... Get a good breathable rain suit that's pants and a jacket. Take merino socks and base layers. You'll likely need warm stuff in the mornings and evenings and then want to shed layers mid day.

Comment

Working...
            X