Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Bonus Payment withheld due to Covid 19 - Recourse ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Bonus Payment withheld due to Covid 19 - Recourse ?

I am a bit hesitant to post but wanted to know if anyone else has been in this situation and input. First off, I love my job, especially as it sits presently with some new customers and added accounts. Our company traditionally pays out all sales and operations bonus money in April, May or June for the prior year. A few years in April, the last two were half in May, half in June. We received a notice that all 2019 Bonus $$ was suspended and would not be paid out "until further notice", and from what I now understand may not happen at all.

One note is I am in sales and I have a non compete and this bonus $$ is part of our payment plan or what they call "consideration". Second note is that I was offered a position last year with another company but did not leave since I knew this bonus was in play and I would be receiving. That is water under the bridge at this point. Third note is that I have been given an account that will make up for the bonus money but it was not tabled like that at all. We had a salesperson leave and they divided the accounts rather than hire someone so I stand to make a good bit more $$. (I think it is my local level boss taking care of me.)

I am thankful to have a job and a good paying one at that. My only pay that has been cut thus far is $100 off my vehicle allowance and I can't really gripe about that if it keeps a few folks working. We have had several sales people laid off but our region is doing well, even in this Covid situation. I am also able to work from home so that is nice, and I think that will continue for a while. I have inquired about our bonus money but I all hear is that it is on the CEO's desk and not approved. I speak with our commission administrator on a regular basis and he keeps me in the loop.

I plan to stay where I am now through the end of the year. What would you guys do in the situation? Does the fact I have not received by sales bonus negate the non compete? Thanks in Advance.

Thats what we did and through second half of year no 401k matching. Honestly ill gladly take a financial haircut if i don't have to cut good heads. Been there done that and it sucks to lay off good people for financial reasons. Keeps me up at night worrying about it.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Comment

It depends. Can they afford to pay y’all? I’ve seen some double dipping going on.

Comment

I and my employees are making half of the money we were 3 months ago...........

Comment

I think given the situation with everting going on I’m just blessed to have a decent paying job. My wife’s company laid off a ton of good people and everyone got a 10% pay cut. Sucks your not getting your bonus more than likely. I’d be pretty upset also my bonus is a decent chunk of change but at the end of the day it is a bonus and I don’t count on mine to live or pay bill. My bonus usually goes straight to savings. I think not taking the job you were thinking about for more pay is dust in the wind now with Covid. If covid didn’t happen you’d more than likely be getting your bonus.

Comment

If its truly "bonus" and not a guaranteed commission I don't see any recourse for you. Bonus is just that, bonus.

Comment

Things will turn around just be thankful you still have a job. Lots of people have either lost their jobs or even taken a 30-40 per cent pay cut.

Comment

I’ve worked for 25+ years and never received a bonus. Feel lucky you have a job and are able to go to work.

I make a fine living, but bonuses aren’t a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bonuses are not guaranteed. I’ve had it happen to me before and it sucks. In my case they tried to make up for it the following year when the company was in a better position.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    If its truly "bonus" and not a guaranteed commission I don't see any recourse for you. Bonus is just that, bonus.
                    Maybe I should not have called it a bonus? It's a specific percentage of what you increase your revenue over your set quota for the year. We make a monthly commission and then get this money for what we exceed our yearly number. It is specifically stated in our pay plan/account list that we sign each year.

Comment

I personally got burned on pay and a bonus to the tune of over half of what I was told I would get paid, PLUS a bonus. Never again will I trust a company or individual that tells me you will get paid this much and then if you reach this, you will get a bonus.

Never again, they do that they either pay or they are going to court if their is a signed contract stating as such. Sorry, fool me once, never again!

Sorry this out me and my family in a bind financially due to my thinking this will not happen to me and seeing the best in people when this lady was pure trash and neded to be in prison for what she had done to way more than me!

Comment

Non competes only stand up in court if you leave and start calling on your clients from the company you left. If the crusty all’s you and would admit in court nothing can be done. Company’s will have there attorneys contact your new company and threaten a lawsuit.So be sure your new company is aware, they aren’t hiring you for your customer base.Texas is a right to work state. I would not go anywhere until this corona is over with.

Comment

Could be your company errs on the conservative side so they are sure to stay afloat and keep their employees long enough to weather the storm until things turn around. If so they will be in the catbird seat and you stand to gain by their prudence.

Comment

If it is a part of your compensation employment agreement plan, and you did your part and exceeded your expectation. Then yes, You should be paid accordingly.

Non-competes only hold weight if you actively pursue current clients. If they seek you out, you are O.K. non-competes are a scare tactic. And a feel good for the company.

Comment

Compensation packages can be altered as necessary. Did you sign a contract saying you were guaranteed ***x amount of money and guaranteed a job for *** amount of time? If not, too bad. There’s a financial crisis going on. Less pay is better than no pay. A company shouldn’t have to file for bankruptcy because they had to pay you a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X