Daughters Christmas Present----Playhouse Build. Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughters Christmas Present----Playhouse Build. Pic Heavy

Well the boss informed me that I'd be building our daughter a playhouse for Christmas. So off to work I go. Been working on it when I have time for the last couple of weeks. Just now getting around to posting some pics and will continue to update it as I come along. Wish me luck

First I leveled my foundation blocks with play sand and then started moving up from there making sure everything was level on the bottom. I used treated 6"x6" beams for my skids and treated 2"x6" for my cross supports. Left a 1' over hang on each side of the skids. Put some more floor supports in and topped it off with 3/4" treated plywood.
    Attached Files

I framed the front and back walls in the driveway and then took them to the base and attached them. Built the side walls and tied them in after those were up and squared.
    On a side note: we're trying to keep this as a surprise for my daughter. Probably not going to work but we have a back up plan. I have to let her hang around during the building phase so I can make sure everything is the right size!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Next was installing the main beam for the roof. Used a 2x6 and made the high point 7' tall. That way i can stand up in it when it's my deerstand in 10 years. After getting that done, it was time for my first "Dang It" moment. My base and floor is all treated, but the first level after that is regular untreated studs. I was worried about that rotting out if water got in from the front porch decking. Soooo, I unscrewed the entire bottom plate and inserted a treated railing underneath it. Made me feel a lot better.
        Attached Files

Comment

Started in on the roof rafters. Now I don't have a clue how to figure out pitch and roofing angles and all that. I just held up a scrap board and outlined where the cuts needed to be made for the angles I needed. Then I would use my original rafter as a template for the rest of them. Three different sets total--one for the front, one for the back and one for the porch. Put up the front columns and tied the porch rafters in to them. Got all the rafters done and then added the windows and started the roofing.
          Attached Files

Comment

The inside ceiling will have the rafters exposed coming out of the walls. I'm using bead board as the actual decorative ceiling. On top of that will be 3/4" rigid insulation, then reflective decking, felt and then the shingles. That's where I'm at as of now. I'll be back on it in a few more days.
            Attached Files

Comment

That looks awesome so far! Nice job!

Comment

looks great! when she grows out of it, you have yourself a deer stand too!

Comment

dang!

Comment

You got skills. Must be in construction.

When is the house warming?

Comment

That girl has a talented father!! Very impressed!

Comment

why wouldn't you just buy her a pop up blind, and take that one to the lease!!

Comment

That's some quality work. No skimping at all. NICE JOB!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                            You got skills. Must be in construction.

When is the house warming?
                            Honestly, I've never done anything like this. My wife wanted to get her one for Christmas but they were way out of our budget. So she asked me to try it. I sat down with a ruler and some paper (after looking at lots of different houses on line) and started drawing it out to scale. Of course those went out the window right after I started. Needed to be bigger. I'll probably have $1500-$1600 in it by the time it's all said and done. Hopefully it will last for 10 years or more.

Comment

When she outgrows it you can always paint it camo and have an awesome deer stand! haha

Comment

Working...
                              X