Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
    Hey fish. In the qdma store they have a book and dvd called ultimate deer food plots by Ed Spinazzola. I watched the dvd and it was pretty informative.
    Cool I will try and check it out. There is a ton of good info on the qdma forum.

Comment

Here is a hog video that I forgot about from 2012. At times the place is overloaded with them...but then last year we never saw a single hog while we were hunting.

I didn't get the kill shot cause I had to put the camera down to shoot but I ended up shooting 3 from this group with my bow that evening. Fun times.
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Whl5b_WwQ"]BCA Hogs 10 26 12 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Holy moly! ^^

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Here is a hog video that I forgot about from 2012. At times the place is overloaded with them...but then last year we never saw a single hog while we were hunting.

I didn't get the kill shot cause I had to put the camera down to shoot but I ended up shooting 3 from this group with my bow that evening. Fun times.
          Wholey cow, I have never seen that many hogs coming through the woods. It's amazing how they come and go year to year. I wonder what kind of damage you could have done with an AR on automatic.

Comment

i like shotty with buckshot. pump off a couple rounds and they dont go far.

Comment

I started to read this thread and completely fell in love with it, lol. We hunt on the other side of burleson county in between caldwell and rock dale. My general question is the soil type you plant is the sandy loam or more clay like, we mostly have the sandy loam, and the only thing we have been able to grow seems to be the cereal rye! also though it could be because we broadcasted our pea plants and like you said the seed just might be too big for it to work out. anyways nice thread, i will definitely be following

Comment

Originally posted by doublebfarms View Post
                I started to read this thread and completely fell in love with it, lol. We hunt on the other side of burleson county in between caldwell and rock dale. My general question is the soil type you plant is the sandy loam or more clay like, we mostly have the sandy loam, and the only thing we have been able to grow seems to be the cereal rye! also though it could be because we broadcasted our pea plants and like you said the seed just might be too big for it to work out. anyways nice thread, i will definitely be following
                Thanks. Yep I have sandy loam on the back plot.....although the cereal rye will add lots of organic matter to it so it will change it alot within one growing season.

I'm gonna try and check on my cow pea experiment tomorrow. I'll post up some pics.

Comment

Checked on the plot today. So far so good.....the experiment is working.

Cow peas can definitely be planted by just broadcasting and mowing over the top. Of course the 10 inches of rain surely helped.

Pea poking thru the thatch.

Lots of grass in the plot but lots of peas poking through too!

It seems like it takes them way longer to germinate than traditional planting methods. I think the roots really get established this way at first and then the energy goes into poking up through the thatch. Just my theory.

The tall rye really protected the chicory from being eaten early but now its looking great and getting browsed.

Comment

I planted an Egyptian Wheat screen to shield my entry/exit and to make mature bucks feel more secure during daylight hours. Need to get some N on it. It will get 10-12 feet tall if its not a high seeding rate and apply some N in a timely fashion.

Comment

Looking good. Those Peas should be growing like wildfire soon. I hope the pigs don't destroy your screen this year.
                      Looks like the deer are hanging out year around on your place with the buffet you have for them.
                      Can't wait to check on my place this weekend, it's been 6 weeks since I been down.

Comment

I also did the Egyptian wheat thing this yr as a screen and it is about 2' tall now. Screening off soybean's hoping to give the deer a feeling of comfort. Now I am thinking of all the places I could use it. So do u know if it has to be replanted next year or does it come back each yr? I forget

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                          I also did the Egyptian wheat thing this yr as a screen and it is about 2' tall now. Screening off soybean's hoping to give the deer a feeling of comfort. Now I am thinking of all the places I could use it. So do u know if it has to be replanted next year or does it come back each yr? I forget
                          If you let it go to seed it can volunteer back the next year. I have a few spots that are doing that this year.

Comment

This is the reason I try to keep my soil covered at all times. This video is amazing in the difference in soil surface temps between a no-tilled/cover cropped soil vs tilled soil. This saves tons of moisture and can get the crop through a drought.

40 degree difference
                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4SnCGOTByI"]Ray the Soil Guy speaks on soil temps - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Its been a while since I've updated this thread. The cow peas are gone.....completely wiped out. Just a few straggler plants left. Need to do more acreage next year....had about 1.5 acres planted.

The Egyptian Wheat screen is looking good. It needed some N so I put some 21-0-0 on it. This screen is right in front of my tree stand so it can hide my entrance and exit from the plot.

This is the view from within the plot looking back at one of my treestands. The EW is in front of the big Post Oak tree in the middle of the pic. I have a treestand in that tree.

The clover is still going. This is the latest I've had the clover still growing.
                              Durana

Lots of deer are still eating in the plot and yes they still bed down in it.

They are eating several things in the plot....clover, oats that volunteered, and lots of native weeds that are growing in the plot now.

Comment

I haven't shown much native brush in this thread so here are some pics. It is lush right now.

I have tons of thick mesquite brush on my 37 acres. Including some bull mesquites that you could almost hang a tree stand in. Also have lots of honey locust, elms, Post Oaks and a few Native Pecan tree.

Filled feeders today including some Roasted Soybean / Corn Mix @$12/50lb bag. It comes out to 15% protein content. Gonna see how the deer like it....I'm sure they will be hooked on it like crack.

Comment

Working...
                                X