Consider Releasing Your Big Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you having a good day on the water and already have plenty of fish, or the bite is good enough that you will catch plenty of eating size fish, please consider releasing your big trout. It differs among my friends but 22"-23" is as big as we keep. Research shows that anything that length or larger are female fish possibly 8-10 years old. Keep what you want but please consider C&R on those big girls when your having a good day.

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
    If you having a good day on the water and already have plenty of fish, or the bite is good enough that you will catch plenty of eating size fish, please consider releasing your big trout. It differs among my friends but 22"-23" is as big as we keep. Research shows that anything that length or larger are female fish possibly 8-10 years old. Keep what you want but please consider C&R on those big girls when your having a good day.
    Great reminder! Especially now that croaker are readily available. Get your trophy pic and put her back in the water

Comment

those big ones produce a bunch of eggs so in the future you will continue to have those excellent days!

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
        I release them good day or bad day, catch them again another day.

Comment

No.

Comment

I personally dont like those big fillets anyway. I like those small fish to keep and fry up.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              I personally dont like those big fillets anyway. I like those small fish to keep and fry up.
              Exactly

Comment

That is a good suggestion/reminder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

26 and over I will release unless hooked in the gills and you know they won't survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 18-24" are the fish that carry the population. There are for more fish in that size range than a 25+". The only benefit to releasing a big girl is so someone else has a chance at her. Croaker guides are the ones that are killing the majority of big fish. I throw them back over 25", but it's legal to keep them so I don't get too upset about it.

Comment

I keep the legal limit on the first legal fish I catch, but I usually only get to go once or twice a year so I am sure that I am not hurting the population of big fish. Heck I am lucky if I catch one over 24". If I fished all the time, releasing the bigger fish would be no issue for me but my goal when I get to go is to limit out and put fish in my freezer.

Comment

I've killed a few, and released a few. I think there are a lot more "big trout" than most people believe. I tend to go by whatever the boat owner wants to do.

I don't have a problem with anyone killing a legal fish, or releasing a legal fish, but I do hate it when the holier than thou types act like you killed an infant for eating a thirty inch trout.

Comment

Don't kill big deer.

Comment

Or kill all your big deer and see what you end up with. I know your trying to be a smart one but this helps prove my point.
                            Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                            Don't kill big deer.

Comment

I release every trout over 25". If anyone wants to keep them and it's legal I have no problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X