LRGV Nilgai Hunt Recap(Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LRGV Nilgai Hunt Recap(Pic Heavy)

Got drawn for unlimited Nilgai and hogs rifle hunt on Teniente tract NWR. I put in w/my two favorite hunting partners. My dad Pedro and my bro Jr. We were pumped!! I've never drawn anything. Always wanted to hunt Nilgai. So we start doing our research on the properties and acquire some necessary gear. Our hunt starts Fri. Feb.3-Sun5.
    Pack up and head out Wednesday to get there to scout Thursday before.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	25107005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7186.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	25107006
    Headed down south to Raymondville, Teniente is just a few miles outside of town.

Name:	IMG_7188.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	25107007
    Flat on the loop near Austin.

Name:	IMG_7190.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	25107008
    Bad pork chop at Jerry B's or some such in I don't remember ville.
    Make it in to our home away from home.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7192.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	25107010
    La Quinta Raymondville

Name:	IMG_7219.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	25107011
    Thursday first day of scouting. We walk 5 miles or so and find some sign and a couple places to sit.

Name:	IMG_7223.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	25107012Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7196.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	25107013
    Friday first day of hunt
    Head out early to try and b first out. Dad and I sit on some senderos w/fresh dung piles. Jr I dropped off in a different part where he sets up in a place he deemed ok. I see some deer and a hog fly by full speed. Dad has some does go by. I get ansy and hike further in hoping to scare something up. At about 10am I get a text from Jr. "Nilgai Down"!! I work my way back to Dad. We head towards Jr, dad drops me off and parks. I head towards map pin Jr. sent. To this point, he hasn't said cow or bull.

Name:	IMG_7230.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	25107014
    Walk up on this beast!! We hug and fist pump. I'm ecstatic for him!! He recounts the story of seeing something dark in the woods, big. Then he thinks this bull has him spotted as he is standing facing him., but no bull puts his head down and feeds, grazing in the cover as Jr. try's to maneuver for a shot. Moving several times finally an opening about pie plate size 80 yds away or so. Squeeze off 270 and the Barnes bullet enters the shoulder. Bull drops, thinks about getting up. Another one in shoulder makes it impossible. Wow!

Name:	IMG_7239.jpg
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	25107015

Name:	IMG_7237.jpg
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	25107016
    Now the work begins, takes us about 5 hrs. to butcher,debone & pack out in several trips.

Name:	IMG_7243.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	25107017

Name:	IMG_7245.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	25107018Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7246.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	25107019
    Friday Eve, dad and I hunt. Jr goes for ice. Nothing but whitetail for us.
    Saturday second day of hunt.
    Up at 4am, only to see it's pouring rain. Kinda of a welcomed rest. We catch breakfast,grab some supplies, and another spare tire. Head out to hunt around 1pm. Dad and Jr. go to new areas, as do I. I walk in about 1 1/2 miles because roads are nasty in some parts and don't want to chance in 2 wheel drive SUV. Dad and Jr both see deer and pigs(no shot opportunity) I see zilch. Now as I'm walking back down the road halfway. In pitch dark w/headlamp on, I hear a growl. Turn to my right where there are a set of eyes staring back at me. It's a cat. Most likely a bobcat(can't shoot any cats here, I think because if Ocelots in the area). So I try to scare off by making noise and stomping to no availe. Start walking and this sucker is still coming, stalking me haha. I keep moving getting further away. Must have looked like a strobe light on that road. Looking forward,side to side and back. No sign of Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats

Comment

Sounds like a good time

Comment

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
        Got drawn for unlimited Nilgai and hogs rifle hunt on Teniente tract NWR. I put in w/my two favorite hunting partners. My dad Pedro and my bro Jr. We were pumped!! I've never drawn anything. Always wanted to hunt Nilgai. So we start doing our research on the properties and acquire some necessary gear. Our hunt starts Fri. Feb.3-Sun5.
        Pack up and head out Wednesday to get there to scout Thursday before.
        [ATTACH]839917[/ATTACH][ATTACH]839918[/ATTACH]
        Headed down south to Raymondville, Teniente is just a few miles outside of town.
        [ATTACH]839919[/ATTACH]
        Flat on the loop near Austin.
        [ATTACH]839920[/ATTACH]
        Bad pork chop at Jerry B's or some such in I don't remember ville.
        Make it in to our home away from home.[ATTACH]839922[/ATTACH]
        La Quinta Raymondville
        [ATTACH]839923[/ATTACH]
        Thursday first day of scouting. We walk 5 miles or so and find some sign and a couple places to sit.
        [ATTACH]839924[/ATTACH][ATTACH]839925[/ATTACH]
        Friday first day of hunt
        Head out early to try and b first out. Dad and I sit on some senderos w/fresh dung piles. Jr I dropped off in a different part where he sets up in a place he deemed ok. I see some deer and a hog fly by full speed. Dad has some does go by. I get ansy and hike further in hoping to scare something up. At about 10am I get a text from Jr. "Nilgai Down"!! I work my way back to Dad. We head towards Jr, dad drops me off and parks. I head towards map pin Jr. sent. To this point, he hasn't said cow or bull.
        [ATTACH]839926[/ATTACH]
        Walk up on this beast!! We hug and fist pump. I'm ecstatic for him!! He recounts the story of seeing something dark in the woods, big. Then he thinks this bull has him spotted as he is standing facing him., but no bull puts his head down and feeds, grazing in the cover as Jr. try's to maneuver for a shot. Moving several times finally an opening about pie plate size 80 yds away or so. Squeeze off 270 and the Barnes bullet enters the shoulder. Bull drops, thinks about getting up. Another one in shoulder makes it impossible. Wow!
        [ATTACH]839927[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]839928[/ATTACH]
        Now the work begins, takes us about 5 hrs. to butcher,debone & pack out in several trips.
        [ATTACH]839929[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]839930[/ATTACH][ATTACH]839931[/ATTACH]
        Friday Eve, dad and I hunt. Jr goes for ice. Nothing but whitetail for us.
        Saturday second day of hunt.
        Up at 4am, only to see it's pouring rain. Kinda of a welcomed rest. We catch breakfast,grab some supplies, and another spare tire. Head out to hunt around 1pm. Dad and Jr. go to new areas, as do I. I walk in about 1 1/2 miles because roads are nasty in some parts and don't want to chance in 2 wheel drive SUV. Dad and Jr both see deer and pigs(no shot opportunity) I see zilch. Now as I'm walking back down the road halfway. In pitch dark w/headlamp on, I hear a growl. Turn to my right where there are a set of eyes staring back at me. It's a cat. Most likely a bobcat(can't shoot any cats here, I think because if Ocelots in the area). So I try to scare off by making noise and stomping to no availe. Start walking and this sucker is still coming, stalking me haha. I keep moving getting further away. Must have looked like a strobe light on that road. Looking forward,side to side and back. No sign of Bob.

Sunday last day of hunt
        Up early again. Dad sits where Jr. Shot his bull. Jr is in a different spot. I decide to brave it and go to same place, past the kitty cat. It's thick thick in fog, but still manage to find same tree from Saturday evening. Sit and wait for fog to lift. It finally does. Not long after that I catch movement coming out of the woods, but not exactly where I anticipated. I had setup on ground near a tree w/low branch I would rest on. Planned on having a shot directly in front or to the left of me. Well four Nilgai cows step out to the right of me of course. No cover and no rest on tree. I had shooting sticks, but was not ready when they came out quickly. Not to mention all I've heard is they have great eyesight. I thought the biggest cow had me pegged. So I raised up my 30 06 and off hand steadied best I could at 120 yds w/only a chest shot present. I squeezed off and felt good. Surprised to see it didn't drop. They get to running full speed thru dry lake. I squeeze off another and sounds like a hit. I stand up to go around bend. I shoot for another cow. She kicks, definitely hit.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7252.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	24484638Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7254.jpg
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	24484639
        Walk up and find.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7271.JPG
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	24484640
        I gut and put her under some shade as it's warming. Thinking I'm gonna need some help. Oh forgot to mention I forgot my phone in truck. So no way to contact dad and Jr. Starts hiking out and thank god they are on the road. My bro comes to help, while dad has to run to HEB for a couple more coolers. My bro proceeds to clean while I look for other cow. I find blood but then I'm just following tracks and they kept leading to smaller cow. My bro finishes cleaning and comes to help look. Finally pick some other tracks and find blood and a lil more blood. Then none, now just tracks and then those seem to disappear in the brush. I start looking for buzzards and Mexican eagles. It's hard to tell as they are circling around small one too. I see one eagle in a tree 300 yds away and another swoop down, I say let's try there. Jr finds a track that seems like it's running. I'm keeping eye on eagles. Then I pick up orange color. I say there she is, Jr says there's nothing. I say here look thru my rifle scope. He's like holy s... I can't believe we found her. Walk up on her and we celebrate hugging and yelling.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7257.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	24484641Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7265.JPG
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	24484642Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7284.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	24484643Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7262.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24484644
        Loaded down 4 coolers full of what I hear is the best table fare!!! This hunt was so taxing physically, by No means a gimmie hunt. We came in w/tempered expectations to say the least. We considered seeing Nilgai a success. But this was outstanding to b quite frank. So rewarding and a total blast to b w/ my dad and bro.

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt on many levels
          Congrats on the groceries and the quality time with the family

Comment

Awesome!!! Love the recap!

Comment

That's awesme!

Congrats to y'all!

Bisch

Comment

My first thoughts were, "You're gonna need bigger ice chests." Congrats on the Nilgai. Excellent eating!

Comment

Awesome!!! Congrats!

Comment

Ourstanding

Comment

Wow, you guys kicked butt!!

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Congrats. Those are some of my old stomping grounds. Been trying to draw for a couple of years. Is that the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Pack you have on your back? See any other hunters?

Comment

Wow, great story and congratulations on a successful hunt!

Comment

Sounds like an awesome hunt

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X