lake halbert / corsicana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lake halbert / corsicana

has anyone ever fished lake Halbert? we have a place on the other side of RC but every time I make a trip into Corsicana I wonder if Halbert would be worth a try. My 8 year old loves to fish, we have a 10' predator which would be perfect in halbert. I like fishing small lakes without all the boat pressure.

any advice would be appreciated.

I pass that lake every time my kids go to play ball against Mildred and have wondered the same thing. Looks like it would be fun in the kayaks.

Comment

The pier on Halbert is producing crappie right now. However, expect crowds as it is a known crappie hot spot. It's loaded with brush, so getting hung up is to be expected.

In a month or so, the railroad will be full of spawning crappie. Fish them shallow next to the rocks.

There have also been some good sized blues caught off of the pier as well. Heard there was a 6 pound bass caught off of it as well.

The dam has been baited for crappie as well.

There are a ton of shad, so sand bass are plentiful.

I generally fish for crappie, but I hear all the stories being told.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntin_Toona View Post
        The pier on Halbert is producing crappie right now. However, expect crowds as it is a known crappie hot spot. It's loaded with brush, so getting hung up is to be expected.

In a month or so, the railroad will be full of spawning crappie. Fish them shallow next to the rocks.

There have also been some good sized blues caught off of the pier as well. Heard there was a 6 pound bass caught off of it as well.

The dam has been baited for crappie as well.

There are a ton of shad, so sand bass are plentiful.

I generally fish for crappie, but I hear all the stories being told.
        wow, i guess this answers my question, could be a honey hole. we could drop a few jug lines and do some bass and crappie fishing.

Comment

It's a cool little lake that doesn't get the credit it deserves. Some BIG fish in it.

Comment

Supposed to have a lot of crappy

Comment

These came from Halbert.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Whats the best thing to catch crappie off of there? I am not much of a fisherman but my grandson likes to do it. I need to learn for sure. He lives about 3 miles from Halbert. we have bought a retirement place South of Corsicana. So we will be there a lot in the future. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Lived near there most of my life. Never caught anything but a buzz at that lake

Comment

I've fished it before and caught some nice bass along the dam around the banks. It's a fun little lake.

Comment

Last time I tried Halbert, we caught lots of sandbass. The biggest was maybe 5".

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                        Whats the best thing to catch crappie off of there? I am not much of a fisherman but my grandson likes to do it. I need to learn for sure. He lives about 3 miles from Halbert. we have bought a retirement place South of Corsicana. So we will be there a lot in the future. Thanks for any advice.
                        I've been using jigs. Minnows have been known to work as well. If you fish the pier, it'll probably be elbow to elbow (I hit it as early as possible) and not a lot of etiquette used.

If you have a boat, the dam has a ton of brush and the railroad bed is killer during the spawn.

Comment

Working...
                        X