Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	25137074

Click image for larger version

Name:	1EA75B25-BD8F-46D1-9F6F-63EB9CC3273D.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	25137075
    Wanting an idea on age. I’m pretty sure I know age of deer but wanted opinions from teeth “expert”

Probably 3.5, however, the dentin is wider than the enamel on the 4th and 5th tooth and there's a pretty good cusp on the 6th tooth. If the deer looked 4.5 on the hoof, I might go with that.

Comment

I just started trying to learn how to age deer by looking at their teeth.

I would guess 5 on this one?

As a general rule of thumb, I think they get wore down to where they aren't very sharp any more at 6 yrs old.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

This is pretty good:

Comment

These look 3.5 to me

Comment

Comment

Comment

3.5-4.5

Comment

Best I can get on him is 3 1/2...

Comment

3.5 all day long. I tend to lean young when questioned.....unless killed in a super sandy area,

Comment

Comment

This is another reason why I struggle to believe teeth aging is accurate. I’ve got the deer left shed from 2 seasons ago and based off some of these guess there’s no way he was 1.5 2 yrs ago. Here’s pic of shed 2 yrs ago. Yes it is pretty sandy but figured that would wear teeth down faster. Click image for larger version

Name:	73296788-6BFE-4590-9C13-2913BC18129A.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24527316

Comment

Tooth wear is unreliable, I lean cementum annuli if going to use teeth. Best way is visual record over time in my opinion.

Comment

any more guesses

Comment

I find this very interesting. Thanks for posting, I have been collecting jaws for years. Mostly from deer that I had a long history with and knew how old they were. I think most of the time The teeth are a pretty close match to the true age, but not always. One of the oldest bucks we have killed was a known 8 1/2 year old but his teeth were in great shape and looked to be 5 1/2. He was also very big, fat ,and healthy. The heaviest buck we have killed off of that place. The main things I think I have learned is, if the teeth look a certain age, They are at LEAST that age. The other thing I think I have learned is The more I learn, the less I am sure of.

Comment

Working...
                              X