Sciatica Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sciatica Help

I experienced my first ever case of sciatica in my right leg this past weekend, and I would never wish this on my worst enemy...

I'm a 26 year old former college athlete that works out 3-4 times a week, so I lead a pretty active lifestyle. I have been having consistent lower back problems for about 6 months now, with it being worse over the past two - three weeks.

Over the past month or so, I have seen my chiro approx. 5 times for adjustments/stem/PT and it has seemed to help. After X-rays and evaluations, we have figured out my L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs are bulging ( I have not done an MRI yet). This same analysis was done by two independent chiros that told me the exact same thing after the initial visit to each of them.

Last Friday, I laid about 100 sq ft of top soil and sod, and I'm pretty sure that is what caused the sciatica to occur. Saturday rolls around and almost like someone flipped a switch, a burning/tingling sensation starts running down my glute and all the way down through my toes. It is now Tuesday, and the tingling is about the same as when it happened. The burning has subsided.

My question to those who have experienced it in the past... other than icing and rest, what have you done to overcome the tingling and pain?

Steroid pack, muscle relaxers, and pain meds is what the dr gave my wife yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine got to the point I couldn't work, walk, anything. Lasted for 2 weeks.

10-15 chiro visits with no relief.

My family doc gave me a steroid shot, had relief in 6 hours.

Comment

Welcome to my nightmare...

and for joining the other 4 million people with L4/L5 herniation. I've been living with it for years. 3 or 4 MRI's and the orthopedic tells me they aren't herniated enough for surgery.

I've done PT, chiro's, traction, you name it. I woork out 4-5 days a week as well. What helps me may not help you and it all depends on where the bulges are. Mine are anterior bulges so they are a little harder to deal with.

First, when you were evaluated did they say you have an anterior pelvic tilt? Just curious. Lots of core exercises, stretching, and even yoga have helped. A good antiinfalmmatory and ice will help as well.

Comment

Get one of those round foam rollers. roll your weight on your thigh muscles. Loosens them to relieve pressure. Also stretch, stretch stretch. For me it was doing push ups and hold them while hips stay on the ground. it helped me a lot.

Comment

Chiro has always fixed me up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

only thing that helps me is prescription strength Naproxen, rest and lots of massaging the area of the glute and leg. Stinks!

Comment

Steroidal shots may be on your horizon. However you are young, so rest and alternating hot/cold packs might provide sufficient relief. I've dealt with it and ultimately had surgery so I'm very familiar with the excruciating pain. Take it real easy until it subsides. That is a whole new kind of pain for sure.

Comment

My aid was a doctor visit followed by an ESI. I haven't had sciatica for 8 years - thank goodness.

Comment

I have a bulge in the same area. I've not had the sciatic pain for over 10 years now. Every now and then when I overdo something I can feel it a little but that is enough to let me know to stop ASAP.

My pain was so bad that I could hardly sleep most nights.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      and for joining the other 4 million people with L4/L5 herniation. I've been living with it for years. 3 or 4 MRI's and the orthopedic tells me they aren't herniated enough for surgery.

I've done PT, chiro's, traction, you name it. I woork out 4-5 days a week as well. What helps me may not help you and it all depends on where the bulges are. Mine are anterior bulges so they are a little harder to deal with.

First, when you were evaluated did they say you have an anterior pelvic tilt? Just curious. Lots of core exercises, stretching, and even yoga have helped. A good antiinfalmmatory and ice will help as well.
                      This right here helped me. A good friend of mine gave me half a dozen or so stretches that have done wonders for my bulging 4's/5's. Also, if you sit alot at work, a lumbar pillow is very helpful as well.
                      Hope all you guys can get some extended relief...

Comment

I got an epidural injection a couple months ago for one. Instant relief.

I've also been going to the chiropractor and doing spinal decompression. It was worked, but not like I hoped. I plan on getting an inversion table.

Probably the biggest piece of advice id give, is to stretch. A LOT. Do yoga. Even if its painful. And lots of ab work to strengthen your core.

I'm on a computer all day, so I got a stand up desk for my office. I also am a heavy side sleeper. I try to sleep with a pillow in between my legs, usually laying in an almost fetal position. That really helps a lot.
                        Last edited by Grizz83; 09-27-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

STRETCH.

Lay on your back and pull your knee to your chest. Do it 10 or so times for 10 seconds each, 2-3 times a day. Also be sure to stretch each side equally. Ibuprofen doesn't hurt either.

Find a massage therapist. It'll help loosen it up. I've been in your shoes and agree on not wishing it on anyone.

Comment

I had a bad case a couple years ago while working in Kuwait. Luckily I was at the end of my rotation. The 14 hr plane ride from Kuwait city to Washington DC was the worst hours of my life. I got home and my chiro did decompression therapy. I couldn't walk for three days. It took about two weeks to heal up. I hope I never get that again. Like you said, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It was BAD!!!

Comment

I know a couple people that have had sciatica and after trying everything under the sun, yoga was the only thing that soothed their pain long term.

Comment

Working...
                              X