No announcement yet.

Electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a neutral problem. It sounds like the line from the source to your well may have a bad spot in it.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
      My point was just that with your breakers off, your feed to the building will probably have the correct voltage since there is no load. This would be because your neutral is bad, and not balancing the load properly. You really just need to check your connections, and if everything is good then you more than likely need to pull new wire.
      I checked the lugs on Sunday night with all the breakers off in the well house and I was getting 150 V and 90 V with no load.

I didn't play with it last night because it was raining and the main breaker box is outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
        Call an electrician. It will be worth the money.
        This.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          I checked the lugs on Sunday night with all the breakers off in the well house and I was getting 150 V and 90 V with no load.

I didn't play with it last night because it was raining and the main breaker box is outside.
          Without being there to personally look at everything, troubleshooting the problem is difficult. It still sounds like a neutral issue to me. If you are not having problems in your house that the main panel feeds, it shouldn't be a problem coming from the utility.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
            Without being there to personally look at everything, troubleshooting the problem is difficult. It still sounds like a neutral issue to me. If you are not having problems in your house that the main panel feeds, it shouldn't be a problem coming from the utility.
            The main breaker is off of my workshop that I haven't been in in a couple of weeks. The house is on a totally different panel from a totally different electric company.

Comment

Then check your voltages in that workshop. The problem could be oringinating from that service.

Comment

I had a few minutes to check the shop. It looks like I am getting about 120V between the hot and neutral and hot and ground. I am getting zero between neutral and ground. I didn't have time to check incoming and outgoing voltage of any breakers.

The voltage in the well house are 150 on one breaker and 90 on the other between the hot and neutral and hot and ground but zero between neutral and ground.

Comment

I had a few minutes to check the shop. It looks like I am getting about 120V between the hot and neutral and hot and ground. I am getting zero between neutral and ground. I didn't have time to check incoming and outgoing voltage of any breakers.

The voltage in the well house are 150 on one breaker and 90 on the other between the hot and neutral and hot and ground but zero between neutral and ground.
                  Loss neutral, or burned in conduit, loose connection in main panel

Comment

I think I fixed the electrical problem. The ground was burned off at the main panel. I have the correct power now.

Comment

I think I fixed the electrical problem. The ground was burned off at the main panel. I have the correct power now.
                      Good to know and you're still alive!

Comment

Did you fix why the ground wire burned off?

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                          Did you fix why the ground wire burned off?
                          I think so. While I was checking out everything I found a120 v wire that had been sheared and was touching. It was black and charred. I don't know why that breaker didn't pop. It was a 30 amp. I replaced it with a 20 amp.

Comment

I think so. While I was checking out everything I found a120 v wire that had been sheared and was touching. It was black and charred. I don't know why that breaker didn't pop. It was a 30 amp. I replaced it with a 20 amp.
                            Good deal that you found the reason for the burnt ground.

Comment

4 years later and I am having this same problem. I haven't checked anything yet except I am having the crazy voltage in the well house and the light works when it wants to. The light was replaced 4 years ago.

I did have a space heater on when it started acting bad. 4 years ago I also had a space heater running.

Comment

What size wire is feeding your pump house?

Comment

Working...
                                X