Final hunt of the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final hunt of the season

Things are winding down here, with stags about to cast their antlers for another year.

I've been after this one thumper since early in the year when I first saw him in the late stages of velvet.

He lives in some really thick bush with a couple of other stags and try as I might I just haven't been able to get on them. Either I just couldn't find them or they'd get the drop on me first, even with the aid of my gun dog.

Yesterday I decided I'd have one of my last hunts for reds for the year and set out after them. We'd been stalking for a while when Ellie my gsp started air scenting. I followed her, carefully moving through the bush, glassing every nook and cranny hoping to spy a deer. After about 200m I heard a stick snap ahead and to my left, i moved over and at that moment they busted out of the thick bush.

Hunting this thick country on foot was always going to require snap shooting and I was just hoping I'd be able to take the right one if it came to it.

As they pushed through, the rear stag came into view and in that split second I decided to take the chance and fired two shots as he ran past through the bushes.

I ran forward and clear of a thick patch only to see the big stag in front of the one I'd shot and disappearing into the bush.

I was bitterly disappointed and was kicking myself but unfortunately that's how this thick bush hunting can go if you choose to take chances.

Don't get me wrong he's a nice stag and lots of people would be happy with him but for me he was a bit young and had potential to be a lot better.

To rub salt in the wounds, as I Carried the head out I dropped it and both antlers fell off! So he was merely days from casting himself.

The consolation of it all was that I got some prime meat which really is the main thing in the end and the property owner told me he wanted the next head I shot on his property for himself so I'm much happier handing over this one than if I had of shot the big boy (would have offered him money to let me keep that).

Not exactly the celebration I would have liked for the end of 2016 but sometimes it's just how these things go.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Very nice

Comment

Always like following along on your stories. Congrats on the stag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool story! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats a a beautiful stag!

Comment

Great write up...what you gonna hunt next "down under"?

Comment

Heck yeah man. Nice work.
              Always enjoy your stories.

Comment

Good stuff, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                  Great write up...what you gonna hunt next "down under"?
                  Thanks all,

Death from above - fallow still have about 2-3 weeks before they'll drop do I'll spend a couple of weekends chasing them. Normally around September through November is good hunt for sambar in the high country but I'm getting married in October so my leave is going towards that and the honeymoon.

Heading to Koh Samui for the honeymoon and I'll do some fishing there.

As we move into late spring and summer it's all fishing/yabbying and calling foxes and hares with the bow until deer strip their velvet in February next year! Do a lot of kangaroo shooting over the warmer months too.

Never ends, though nothing is quite like free range red deer to me!

Comment

Congrats on a nice stag!

Comment

Hope you keep your spirits up! That's a great stag!!!!

Comment

Will admit. I had to look up "yabbying" to see what it was
                        Congrats on your hunts and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
                          Hope you keep your spirits up! That's a great stag!!!!
                          Thanks mate

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                            Will admit. I had to look up "yabbying" to see what it was
                            Congrats on your hunts and thanks for sharing!
                            Haha yeh sorry didn't think of that, similar to what you guys call crawfish I think?

Comment

Working...
                            X