No announcement yet.

TRAPPING SEASON Thread 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got this boar in the same trap as the female I got yesterday. Really hoping to have a coyote or cat in my other sets tomorrow. Taking out the corn thieves is nice, but really want to get some fawn killers off the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

James do you not use something like a stick on your blind sets to get critter to step in trap?
        I focus on a spot on the trail where grass/brush narrows the trail down. Then I take note of exactly where the tracks are right in front of the narrow spot. I then bed my trap, and position the pan right where the track(s) are.

There were two traps on that trail about eight yards apart. The second set was placed at another narrow spot just past where a secondary trail joined the main trail.
        Last edited by TUCO; 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Here’s my only catch from yesterday’s check.

We did a little trapline fly-by from camp before hopping in the Polaris.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coyote 1A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	24521510

Comment

Got my first double. They were raccoons, and I let the closest one go for being too small, but it was still cool to see. Have to pull my line tomorrow morning. Hoping for more than just ring tails in the morning, but still happy to have some success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post

[ATTACH]884963[/ATTACH]
              Well that's pretty cool! Makes me think I need to charge up the ol Phantom 3.

Comment

May have gotten another place to trap. Need to figure out the pay tho. Also a gman has been working it for years but I guess he has been slacking lol no sure yet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

What coyote and hog bait are yall having the best luck with. Ive got some serious off season killin to do

Comment

Good looking catches on the 21st BT!

That earth anchor rig looks awesome!

I had two catches on today’s check.

This is the second catch on a deer leg set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	24521550

Comment

[ATTACH]884963[/ATTACH]
                      Talk about not disturbing a set

Comment

We have caught 3 coyotes in a week. I am running 4 traps, but one hasn't produced in 2 years. I am baiting them with domestic dog droppings and a little coyote scent.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post

We have caught 3 coyotes in a week.

I am running 4 traps, but one hasn't produced in 2 years.

I am baiting them with domestic dog droppings and a little coyote scent.
                          Congrats on the coyotes SB!

You might consider moving your traps just outside of the catch circle.

It will increase your chances for another catch.

You’ll need to clean the traps off good before you bed them in new ground.

Good Luck!

Comment

The one I caught last night was on the same trap I caught one on Saturday night. I just scraped the blood off with a shovel and put it in the same spot. I am always afraid the blood will make them dig it up or attract buzzards.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                              The one I caught last night was on the same trap I caught one on Saturday night. I just scraped the blood off with a shovel and put it in the same spot. I am always afraid the blood will make them dig it up or attract buzzards.

You can still catch coyotes in a remake from a coyote catch, but you’ll have more coyotes shy away from the catch circle than enter it.

Out of twenty-five coyotes caught this fall I’ve only had two remake catches; and both were pups.

Now if you happen to catch a cat or coon, those remakes are much more likely to be checked out by coyotes; especially the cat remakes.

BT & Fergeris know a lot more about this than I do, maybe they will chime in.

Comment

You can still catch coyotes in a remake from a coyote catch, but you’ll have more coyotes shy away from the catch circle than enter it.

Out of twenty-five coyotes caught this fall I’ve only had two remake catches; and both were pups.

Now if you happen to catch a cat or coon, those remakes are much more likely to be checked out by coyotes; especially the cat remakes.

BT & Fergeris know a lot more about this than I do, maybe they will chime in.
                                I actually tried something this last year on a place I trapped. I didn't shot a single coyote I used a catch pole like you would for cats. An I was actually catching coyotes in catch circles the next day. Blew my mind. An old trapper told me to try it do I did an man it made a difference

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X