Seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    If you think a democrat will do any better you are delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Never said a Democrat would be better, but at least it wont be Dan Patrick. Guy is a straight running jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
      Its a reoccurring theme for districts. Crosby ISD is broke and looking at mid year layoffs. Prior administration officials overspent by million dollars over the last 3 school years and now we are having to dig out of the hole. Its going to be a mess for a while. Teachers have been told they shouldn't use copy paper and are having to email parents to setup classroom donations so that they have enough supplies to make effective lessons for the kids.

FWIW, the playgrounds that are "approved" are much more expensive than you think. Our Kindergarten Center is trying to fund raise for a new playground and its around $75k....and doesn't get you near what you think it should.
      It's the same old political stance.. Spend ALL the money on things they want first...Then when the money runs out threaten to cut back on the real things that are needed to make people feel guilty (like teacher pay, layoffs, school supplies) You know..the (lots of curse words here) stuff that obviously should be 1st on the list for education.

Comment

There is a very easy answer....if you don't like what the local boards are doing, then get on one and quit bitchin', get to work and fix it.

I attend a few school board meetings a year and there is very little participation from the public at large and when there is, our local board generally embraces it.

It is a thankless job, that is a lot tougher than you think, and they don't get paid, they volunteer.

Good schools are the foundation for good communities and good facilities are part of that.

My guess is most of the board positions run un-opposed, they probably have to find volunteers....get involved it will open your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          We're sponsoring a program right now with our local school district with curriculum and hands on experience in civil construction. It includes reading plans, equipment operation, surveying and layout, safety, estimating, material purchasing and project management. It's in its infancy, but we have great hopes that it'll teach some valuable trades to the young men that want to go straight into the workforce.
          sounds great!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            We're sponsoring a program right now with our local school district with curriculum and hands on experience in civil construction. It includes reading plans, equipment operation, surveying and layout, safety, estimating, material purchasing and project management. It's in its infancy, but we have great hopes that it'll teach some valuable trades to the young men that want to go straight into the workforce.
            These are great programs, our high school has had it for 20+ years. We had a lot of guys in my class, who wanted nothing more than to swing a hammer and build things, and are very good at it, but couldn't tell you what the square root of 4 was. Each year of high school, our class built a habitat for humanity house, then shipped it to a foundation. We literally learned how to build a house from permitting to turning the keys over to the owner.

Glad to see it is being re-implemented here in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
              The freshman center is ridiculous too! I've received 4 e-mails this week alone asking for some type of donations for things that I feel should be covered by our taxes.
              Looked at my tax statement yesterday and was again seriously angry over the ASID portion. Looking at retirement in a few years and no way I'm staying here and pay that obscene bill. Thank you very much Allen for robbing my wallet for another year.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                These are great programs, our high school has had it for 20+ years. We had a lot of guys in my class, who wanted nothing more than to swing a hammer and build things, and are very good at it, but couldn't tell you what the square root of 4 was. Each year of high school, our class built a habitat for humanity house, then shipped it to a foundation. We literally learned how to build a house from permitting to turning the keys over to the owner.

Glad to see it is being re-implemented here in Texas.
                Lots of these programs exist in Texas. A buddy of mine helped start a welding program in Splendora ISD that certified young men as welders upon completion. There is a district (I can't recall which one) that does airplane mechanics sponsored by an airline. I wanted to do something that was specific to civil construction rather than general construction practices. I know how hard it is to find good people, so we decided to help create them.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  It's the same old political stance.. Spend ALL the money on things they want first...Then when the money runs out threaten to cut back on the real things that are needed to make people feel guilty (like teacher pay, layoffs, school supplies) You know..the (lots of curse words here) stuff that obviously should be 1st on the list for education.
                  All correct. Buy what you want then complain you can't pay your bills.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                    Don’t get me started...could throw some $ toward school safety measures but the money was spent on recreation
                    This is my complaint, and my soap box stands a little taller than most. I'm all for Highschool football, but if your district can't pass a school safety audit, then a portion of their bond money meant for their new football stadium needs to be diverted into a safety fund. Problem is the state of Texas has no such standard. The bar need to be set and districts should be held accountable for falling short.
                    Priorities change quick when you start getting into peoples pocket.

Comment

ITS FOR THE CHILLREN, PAY UP

If not a bunch of jackaszes will just put it in a bond election with a bunch of other junk and you will get to pay for that too, cause a bunch of jackwagons will say, "its for the chillren" and the other jackwagons will vote for it

Comment

You guys are still all way off base from the OP. This has absolutely ZERO to do with the school board. This is a group of parents and teachers (PTA) that are raising money to do something they think needs to be done. I don't understand how people can't decipher between the two. These people all volunteer a ton of time, effort and energy to try and make a difference. The money is not controlled by the board, district, school, just the parents and teachers that chose to be a part of that organization.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                          You guys are still all way off base from the OP. This has absolutely ZERO to do with the school board. This is a group of parents and teachers (PTA) that are raising money to do something they think needs to be done. I don't understand how people can't decipher between the two. These people all volunteer a ton of time, effort and energy to try and make a difference. The money is not controlled by the board, district, school, just the parents and teachers that chose to be a part of that organization.
                          I understand that perfectly. But just like the guy above stated "spend the money on things you want first and then beg for the things you need". If the playground needs updated it quite possibly be because some things on it are out dated and unsafe. (IDK) That has everything to do with the School board and should be prioritized over frivolous spending such as the big screen TV in the teachers lounge.

Comment

The house that Kyler built!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                              I understand that perfectly. But just like the guy above stated "spend the money on things you want first and then beg for the things you need". If the playground needs updated it quite possibly be because some things on it are out dated and unsafe. (IDK) That has everything to do with the School board and should be prioritized over frivolous spending such as the big screen TV in the teachers lounge.
                              And the school board knows the PTA can beg for money, for the children, and get it...That's why they buy what they want first.

Comment

It couldn't be just for improvement based on what the teachers/parents want could it? Oh wait, from the very site of this school which the OP posted upon:

This year our fundraising goal is to raise $17,000 for playground improvements
                                (update our blacktop with games/activities, similar to Story Elementary, and add soccer goals).

Says nothing about disrepair, or anything of the sort. If you want to have a discussion about misappropriations, we can have that, but this OP was all about him now know what the donation was for, and then several people hopping in about it was the board, or.... They dont need these things, they want them, thus the asking of donations.

Comment

Working...
                                X