No announcement yet.

TRAPPING SEASON Thread 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY!!!! I was beginning to forget what a coyote looked like. Caught on the sheep. This trap has been set for a month an I never touched it I would just drive by an look. Well I rebaited once. An today I drove up an the hole was blowed an trap gone man I was stoked. But at first I was fixong to start cussing donkeys again but then I saw this one hit the end of the chain

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Alright trapping experts. I hunt on 7,500 acres on a 130,000 Ranch in S. Texas. This year we had a trapper working on the Ranch. He worked our pasture for the last 4 weeks. I don’t know the final numbers yet, but I think he caught around 35 coyotes and 10 bobcats. He also trapped on (3) pastures next to mine. I know he caught over 100 coyotes and around 40 bobcats in our area.

With watching the trapper work and following this thread, it has gotten me wanting to try trapping for fun. I normally make it down to lease on Friday midday and leave Sunday morning. Can y’all answer a few questions for me?

What would be a good starter trapping kit to buy that is not real expensive? Since I’m just getting started.

What could I realistically catch setting 6 traps on Friday and picking them up Sunday? I know the areas where the varmints live.

Would stacking the (6) traps in a small area better my odds to catch something in 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
        FINALLY!!!! I was beginning to forget what a coyote looked like. Caught on the sheep. This trap has been set for a month an I never touched it I would just drive by an look. Well I rebaited once. An today I drove up an the hole was blowed an trap gone man I was stoked. But at first I was fixong to start cussing donkeys again but then I saw this one hit the end of the chain

Awesome! That's always a great feeling!

Comment

The best answer to all your questions is : it depends
          You've got time between now and next season to check the interweb and u-tube to do a lot of learning and researching. Checkout wolfernation/Clint Locklear, trapping talk, and YouTube. Immerse yourself in learning you'll come out smelling like knowledge.

Comment

[QUOTE=Big Mike M;13239210]Alright trapping experts. I hunt on 7,500 acres on a 130,000 Ranch in S. Texas. This year we had a trapper working on the Ranch. He worked our pasture for the last 4 weeks. I don’t know the final numbers yet, but I think he caught around 35 coyotes and 10 bobcats. He also trapped on (3) pastures next to mine. I know he caught over 100 coyotes and around 40 bobcats in our area.

With watching the trapper work and following this thread, it has gotten me wanting to try trapping for fun. I normally make it down to lease on Friday midday and leave Sunday morning. Can y’all answer a few questions for me?

What would be a good starter trapping kit to buy that is not real expensive? Since I’m just getting started.

What could I realistically catch setting 6 traps on Friday and picking them up Sunday? I know the areas where the varmints live.

Would stacking the (6) traps in a small area better my odds to catch something in 2 days.[/QUOTE

I think you could have a great time with it. You show up Friday and set a few traps and have two nights for success. All you really need is a few traps and a sifter to be in business. I would recommend MB550 traps but you can use whatever you want. You could probably pick some up at any farm and ranch store that will work for you. As far as bait I would pick up scat from the area you are trapping and use that. That is about as good of bait you can have, especially in the warmer weather. Good luck and keep us posted and ask questions if you have any.

Comment

I can't add anything else to what others have said. I agree with Bt get some mb550 they may cost a bit more but you will regret losing animals more

Comment

I have been watching some YouTube videos and know way more now than I did 6 months ago. Would buying MB550’s better my odds than say Duke or Bridger traps? What bait/lure works best in S Texas? Would dirt hole sets be my best bet for success? I see plenty of scat driving down the roads.

Comment

For the big coyotes in my area, I prefer the MB650's. I've lost 4-5 yotes this year with MB550's. The 550 is an awesome trap for cats. I will have to say though, I can't solely blame the trap. I'm in the black land prairie, and our soil is the heavy dark stuff, so when it rains(even just a little bit) it takes a lot to break through that moist soil on top. I always check my traps the next day, so I had a lot of scenarios where I'd put the traps out and it'd be dry, we'd get a little rain overnight, and then I'd have traps that were set off and coyote tracks all around. Wax dirt would fix the problem, some people use peat moss. Either way The MB-650's have enough power to explode through a little bit of moist soil and they have bigger jaws(nothing's going to work after a downpour or heavy rain unless you use wax dirt) and still catch the critter. The 550's really perform better with an extra set of springs added to the other side. I just find them to be a little to small for coyotes, but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                    For the big coyotes in my area, I prefer the MB650's. I've lost 4-5 yotes this year with MB550's. The 550 is an awesome trap for cats. I will have to say though, I can't solely blame the trap. I'm in the black land prairie, and our soil is the heavy dark stuff, so when it rains(even just a little bit) it takes a lot to break through that moist soil on top. I always check my traps the next day, so I had a lot of scenarios where I'd put the traps out and it'd be dry, we'd get a little rain overnight, and then I'd have traps that were set off and coyote tracks all around. Wax dirt would fix the problem, some people use peat moss. Either way The MB-650's have enough power to explode through a little bit of moist soil and they have bigger jaws(nothing's going to work after a downpour or heavy rain unless you use wax dirt) and still catch the critter. The 550's really perform better with an extra set of springs added to the other side. I just find them to be a little to small for coyotes, but I'm no expert.
                    I double coil all my 550's and have not experienced a miss like you referenced yet this year. Some of the places I trap are black river silt bottom similar to the blackland you trap in

Comment

Thanks guys. I’m in really sandy soil.

Comment

Would you recommend Dukes, Bridger, or Victor traps? I would think our heaviest cat or coyote would be around 35 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
                          Would you recommend Dukes, Bridger, or Victor traps? I would think our heaviest cat or coyote would be around 35 lbs.
                          You'll be amazed at the whoopin' those coyotes will put on your traps, most will hold up for 1-2 but some will bend and pop the jaws the first time a coyote hits the end of the chain. Get as heavy a built trap as you can afford, it will pay off later, trust me on this, heavy duty is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
                            I've got some traps I bought last year that I'd be willing to part with.
                            Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 03-13-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                              I double coil all my 550's and have not experienced a miss like you referenced yet this year. Some of the places I trap are black river silt bottom similar to the blackland you trap in
                              Single coil and wet sets could have been my problem. I double coiled them after that. I'm still learning on coyotes, trapping cats is a lot easier. I don't know if I'm leaving to much scent in the area, or what. I'm scent control freak went it comes to bowhunting, maybe I need to try that with my trapping. Where gloves and all, but just seem to have a lot more luck with the cats. The 4-5 coyotes that have stuck there foot in my traps pulled out of the single coiled 550, but like I said, the sets where usually just rained on or something. Bad timing.
                              Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 03-13-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post

Do you run stock pans/dogs on those Newhouse traps or do they have a tensioning screw on them?

Comment

Working...
                                X