What draw weight/length to start off my son with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What draw weight/length to start off my son with

My son wants a bow for Christmas. He's 9 years old and tall for his age and a little thick(husky). I haven't taken him to an archery shop yet but was just curious what yall think a general starting point is for draw weight/length for kids his age. Thanks.

would need to be measured first, no way to tell here.

Comment

What ever draw weight he can pull easily. No idea on DL.

Comment

22ish and 20 pounds.

Comment

I don't know his draw length or what he can pull back yet. Just trying to get an idea of where to even start before going to a pro shop.

Comment

go to a shop that has the mission bows(or others) that can easily change draw weight and lengths.You'll have it figured out in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              22ish and 20 pounds.
              Thank you.

Comment

Sonny,

Cameron upgraded to the PSE Mini Burner I believe at the beginning of this year. Its adjustable and he likes it. Shoots it well. Your more than welcome to try it out to see if "I'm assuming" Ryan likes it. Just let me know.

Comment

Best advice, go to bow shop

Comment

Start him with a 30# recurve and you don’t need to worry about draw length. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                      Start him with a 30# recurve and you don’t need to worry about draw length. Just a thought.

Very good advice here!

Comment

Thanks. I bought a 41# recurve when I was 13, and still can shoot it today- 49 years later. I’m on my 5th compound which are tools- the recurve is an old friend.

Comment

there is no standard to start with, it is dependent on the child themselves as to what they can do,,,i have started 9 year old boys off with 20# and 10 days later they were pulling 40# with ease. I have seen them stay at 20# for a year because they really did not have much interest and the 20 was easy...

the greater their interest the more they will learn and the faster they will develop .....my own son was an example always small for his age but at 14 he could draw an 80# bow like most grown men handle 60,,, today at 27 he is still only about 5'7 and 160# ,, shoots 70 because he likes the weight much better than the 80# he still draws with ease

Comment

Working...
                          X