Zero Turn Mower Handles too Stiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Turn Mower Handles too Stiff

My grandpa bought a Gravely ZTX-52 at the end of last summer. It has 17hrs on it and he told me he hates it.....says he’ll never buy another zero turn again because they are too much work (he’s 87 and this is his first one).

I went out and looked at this morning and the handles on this thing are insanely stiff. I wouldn’t want to mow with this thing, much less when I was almost 90! Does anyone know if you can adjust how much tension there is in the handles? I can drive my Husqvarna and my parents Kubota with one hand. If you let go they pretty much snap back to neutral. This Gravely does not do that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be several things.........
    Bots were overtightened when assembling / Bottom forward and reverse plates are not returning correctly / the return springs may be too stiff / there are probably hydraulic dampeners that just haven't broken in.......a few others.

Call Gravely's 1-800 customer service number and have the model and serial number ready.
    Probably have the receipt ready as well in case the dealer did not register it.
    Have them open a claim and contact a repair center (prior to taking in) to have the issue repaired.
    They stand behind what they build as long as you take it to an authorized repair center.

Comment

I would guess it has something to do with the hydraulic system. Check the fluid level first and then follow Kbar's advice.

Comment

Stupid question. Is the parking brake releasing?

Comment

Appears to be. With the mower of, push the handles forward and let go......they slloowwllyy return back to the neutral position.

Comment

My dad runs a 62" cut Gravely he's 71, loves it, can't get him off it. I've run it as well, no stiffness to the bars at all. Heck of a machine - powerful

Comment

I wonder if it sat outside in weather while for sale making the handles stiff. Maybe a lil oil and check bolts like said above to make sure not too tight.

Comment

I would make sure that everything is lubricated like mentioned above, it could just need to be broken in but I kinda doubt it. On my parents gravely it is the handles are firm compared to the bad boys and husqvarnas that I have used but they aren’t hard by any means.

One option could be to go on eBay and buy some new hydraulic shocks to replace the ones that are controlling the handles now. Just pull the info of the existing ones and try to find some lighter ones, I’d imagine you can find them for pretty cheap.

Comment

At less than a year old and only 17 hrs I would take it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    At less than a year old and only 17 hrs I would take it back to the dealer for warranty work.
                    My thoughts too.

Comment

Working...
                    X