Giving up on Bullheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up on Bullheads

So, I've had some difficulty actually hitting turkeys where I was aiming with my bullhead broadheads and assumed it was just me, because my practice head was pretty accurate. Well, out of curiosity, I shot a couple of other arrows and heads and found that each shot in a different location by as much as 18" at 20 yards. Now, before anyone says anything, my bow is tuned with these arrows. So, my problem is that I can shoot my one arrow broadhead combination, and after that, I have to resight in. I have one arrow per hunting session, and, once that one is used (the blades break upon contact with anything) I'm done. I'm just going to have to go back to using expandables and taking body shots. Really sucks.

I was told not to shoot a bullhead or guillotine over 12 yards for that very reason. I'm sticking to bodyshots

Comment

How much helical do you have on your fletching? Makes a big difference. Also put the longest feather or vane you can get on the arrow. Mine shoot like darts at 20 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by darralld View Post
        How much helical do you have on your fletching? Makes a big difference. Also put the longest feather or vane you can get on the arrow. Mine shoot like darts at 20 yards.
        I'm shooting four fletch bullhead arrows with a strong helical.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I was told not to shoot a bullhead or guillotine over 12 yards for that very reason. I'm sticking to bodyshots
          Me too ! The only time a Rocket Hammerhead or a Grim Reaper ever let me down was when I miffed.

Comment

You need them slow down around 200fps

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
              You need them slow down around 200fps
              I'd have to get a different bow for that, and I'm not that motivated to stick with them.

Comment

Once I started shooting straight away shots, I didn't have any issues with regular broadheads. Couple headshots with regular broadheads as well.

Comment

I haven't shot the head so take this with a grain of salt. I was told you need a much stiffer spine and 4 inch vanes that have as much Helical as you can get.

Comment

I've killed numerous turkeys with the guillotines and tried the bullheads when the guillotine heads became hard to find... I never could get them to fly right. I found several packs of replacement blades for my guillotines and that's what I've killed the last 4 or five turkeys with. I've had good luck with the guillotines flying well out of my bow. Shots up to 25 yards are OK for me.

Comment

I thought this post was gonna be about me!

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                        I thought this post was gonna be about me!
                        Different and much more entertaining thread.

Comment

I don’t think the novelty of them is worth the headache or the replacement blade cost after the shot. Archery hunting turkey in general isn’t conducive to how I want to hunt them and enjoy hunting them. Camping in a popup is boring. If the birds aren’t talking, that’s understandable, but turkey hunting is the only real hunting I do. I like to cover ground and try to find a bird that will work.
                          Last edited by 2coolforschool; 04-13-2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                            I don’t think the novelty of them is worth the headache or the replacement blade cost after the shot. Archery hunting turkey in general isn’t conducive to how I want to hunt them and enjoy hunting them. Camping in a popup is boring. If the birds aren’t talking, that’s understandable, but turkey hunting is the only real hunting I do. I like to cover ground and try to find a bird that will work.
                            I've killed plenty without a blind. It's just hard to film that.

Comment

Working...
                            X