First attempt at leather work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at leather work

My Dad does custom leather work but I've never tried to make anything out of leather. I want to learn how to make knives so I figured I need to know how to make custom sheath's too. I bought a new knife this week so I thought I would start by designing and trying to make one for it that matched a holster my Dad made me for Christmas.

I started by using a LOT of paper working out the design and cutting it out to create a template. Once I had the design worked out and a good template made I traced the template onto the leather and then carefully cut out the leather. I folded my pattern over and used a sanding disk on a drill press to smooth my edges and made sure everything matched well once folded.

Next I came up with an oak leaf pattern and drew it onto tracing paper. I experimented on a round piece of leather before jumping right into tooling the sheath. I then wet the good leather, laid the tracing paper design on it, and used a stylus to trace my design onto the sheath. Finally I used a tool with a sharp beveled blade and carefully traced and carved my outline before using multiple tools to give the leaf a raised look.

Hopefully I will get it stitched up tomorrow and add the snap. I have a LONG ways to go but I don't think it's too bad for my first attempt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Looks good

Comment

Good work.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Nice

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Go to work on it a bit more today. I decided to make it to wear sideways across the back of my belt. The hand stitching killed my fingers when I had to go through five layers in a few places. I'm almost done. I soaked it in warm water in the sink, wrapped my knife and put it in the sheath to shape it a little. Tomorrow I will let it sun dry and then I'll be ready to stain it and add the snap. I don't know how anyone makes any money at handmade leather products...it's a ton of work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice work

Comment

Well done.

Comment

If thats your first try, you have talent

Very nice piece

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Pics of back? Front looks good.

Comment

Man that's some great looking leather work, especially for your first time!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Working...
                              X