Hog disease concern question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog disease concern question

My land owner warned me to be careful quartering hogs. I asked why and he said due to pseudo rabies. I've heard they can be carriers but he was telling me to tie a string around the ****** so no urine leaks out and to hang it up and wash and scrub the pig before starting to cut. He was serious too. He tends to be overly cautious. What does the green screen think? Is this kind of caution necessary?

No

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
      My land owner warned me to be careful quartering hogs. I asked why and he said due to pseudo rabies. I've heard they can be carriers but he was telling me to tie a string around the ****** so no urine leaks out and to hang it up and wash and scrub the pig before starting to cut. He was serious too. He tends to be overly cautious. What does the green screen think? Is this kind of caution necessary?

I had a bull dog die from pseudo rabies and the vet said it poses no harm to humans. He did say the dog contracted it from wild hogs and advised me not to hunt the area I had previously been to anymore. Waited a yr before I went back, never lost another dog to it. To answer your question I wouldn’t worry about it any more than you worry about catching anything else. I never clean any animal without gloves if I have cut or any other wound that could come into contact with blood. And you should always keep things clean as possible especially when it comes to urine and feces touching the meat. Don’t let it happen and if it does wash it off thourghly and quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd be more concerned with brucellosis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

If it concerns you kill them and backstrap and cut the large muscle off both hams and donate the rest to buzzards. I did it and wasn't concerned with any disease.

Comment

Pseudorabies is not a threat to humans. It is to dogs. I don't go to those lengths. But if it works for you, get te done.
            Getting poison ivy from a hog is a possibility.

Comment

From Wikipedia:
              Aujeszky's disease, usually called pseudorabies in the United States, is a viral disease in swine that has been endemic in most parts of the world. It is caused by Suid herpesvirus 1 (SuHV1). Aujeszky's disease is considered to be the most economically important viral disease of swine in areas where hog cholera has been eradicated.[1] Other mammals, such as humans,[2] cattle, sheep, goats, cats, dogs, and raccoons, are also susceptible. The disease is usually fatal in these animal species bar humans.[3]
              The term "pseudorabies" is found inappropriate by many people, as SuHV1 is a herpesvirus and not related to the rabies virus.
              Research on SuHV1 in pigs has pioneered animal disease control with genetically modified vaccines. SuHV1 is now used in model studies of basic processes during lytic herpesvirus infection, and for unravelling molecular mechanisms of herpesvirus neurotropism.[4][5]

Comment

Working...
              X