I'd say 5 1/2. Good deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Trophydoehunter View Post
            I'd say 5 1/2. Good deer!
            This. Shoot.

Comment

5 1/2 or 6 1/2

Comment

I did shoot him last Saturday but I missed him. I must have twitched a little bit before I fired.

Fist time missing a deer, not a great feeling at all.

he will be back.

Comment

Tt

Comment

No younger than 4.5, but most likely 5.5.

Comment

take him down

Comment

I hunt Sterling Co. also west of hwy 163. Most of the mature bucks we have are showing to be a year or two years older than we guess them at once we get them on the ground and look at the teeth. Exceptions are the ones we know and keep track of thru the years. I see your buck as being right at 6.5 and really in his prime body wise. We have had a couple that we thought were 5 and they turned out to be 7 and 8. Your buck may well field dress around 140. We have killed a few that were heavy like that. One old 8pt weighed right at 200 live weight.
                        Last edited by muzzlebrake; 11-18-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Really? That's some good information for me. This is my first year hunting out here. And I have watched this buck all of opening weekend just never could guess on his age. I knew he's older and bigger than all the other deer I've seen so far. I just could not get the connection feeling that I wanted him during opening weekend.

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          I hunt Sterling Co. also west of hwy 163. Most of the mature bucks we have are showing to be a year or two years older than we guess them at once we get them on the ground and look at the teeth. Exceptions are the ones we know and keep track of thru the years. I see your buck as being right at 6.5 and really in his prime body wise. We have had a couple that we thought were 5 and they turned out to be 7 and 8. Your buck may well field dress around 140. We have killed a few that were heavy like that. One old 8pt weighed right at 200 live weight.

Comment

Well, he is definitely old enough and looks to be an 8pt. We have had a good horn year for that part of the country and he is most likely the best he will ever be horn wise. A good buck to take out before he breeds any more of those 100" racks. He may go close to 115" to 120" depending on his mass. If you are in the northern part of the county is his pretty typical. Southern part of the county has a lot better deer from what I have seen. Good luck on putting him in the freezer.
                            Last edited by muzzlebrake; 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Yeah i have decided he will be a great buck to take and keep those smaller rack bucks away. I just just found a smaller buck with the same antler size. other than that i have been really impressed with the bucks here.
                              Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Well, he is definitely old enough and looks to be an 8pt. We have had a good horn year for that part of the country and he is most likely the best he will ever be horn wise. A good buck to take out before he breeds any more of those 100" racks. He may go close to 115" to 120" depending on his mass. If you are in the northern part of the county is his pretty typical. Southern part of the county has a lot better deer from what I have seen. Good luck on putting him in the freezer.

Comment

Working...
                              X