Electrical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical help

In wanting to run power to my front gate which is about 1100’ from the panel. All I need is a plug for lights and a battery charger for gate. What size wire should I use and how big of breaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it not possible to set another service pole at your gate?

Comment

Direct bury or ran in conduit? Load draw of charger? What type lights and how many?

Comment

If it is for a gate opener. Go solar with a deep cycle battery. That is a huge distance just to run power for a gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          If it is for a gate opener. Go solar with a deep cycle battery. That is a huge distance just to run power for a gate.

This
          And solar lights

Comment

I currently have this but due to trees the battery won’t stay charged unless I go to chopping down trees

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              This
              And solar lights

This is what I would do. If you absolutely want power ran to it, I would look into a small service. That distance to me is not practical.

Comment

Move solar cell to where it will get light and extend wires by splicing.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                  Is it not possible to set another service pole at your gate?

Yes I’ve talked with elec company about this and I’m trying to weigh the cost difference, this would entail 120’ overhead across a road which is $960 roughly, a meter pole, underground to meter pole which was rough quoted at $1500 - 2000 and then running the power 150’ to gate area.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbone3636 View Post
                    Yes I’ve talked with elec company about this and I’m trying to weigh the cost difference, this would entail 120’ overhead across a road which is $960 roughly, a meter pole, underground to meter pole which was rough quoted at $1500 - 2000 and then running the power 150’ to gate area.

The cost of wire alone running that 1100 ft will make that quote look like chump change.

Comment

Move solar cell to where it will get light and extend wires by splicing.

I’ve done this, i even bought a bigger solar panel so it would handle the distance better... didn’t work I have a ton of oak trees at front of property

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        Direct bury or ran in conduit? Load draw of charger? What type lights and how many?

It would be for a couple of led lights max 3-4 and to charge battery for gate opener

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                          The cost of wire alone running that 1100 ft will make that quote look like chump change.

I guess my question is what size of wire would I need and is running aluminum a viable option

Comment

Whether it’s wires, cables, cable assemblies, or electrical accessories for commercial and residential applications, Paige Irrigation and Landscape Lighting offers the best of the best. We build irrigation and landscape lighting systems that are smart, efficient, and reliable.

Comment

What kinda amps would I require for 3-4 led lights and a trickle charger, also this is outside city limits so a 5% drop should be fine?

Comment

Working...
                              X