No announcement yet.

Insulating a Krivoman Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine are deadly quiet. I have the smaller heater buddies and typically have to turn them off even when temps are in the 30s because it gets too hot. Mitch has a place he hunts in Ohio where he has some of his blinds. You should ask him how it's been when temps drop.

Comment

Insulating a Krivoman Blind?

If you could find some sheets of the closed cell pipe insulation like they wrap chiller piping with that would be awesome. I’d love to find 4-5 sheets of it for mine.

EDIT: This is the stuff I’m talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Mike D; 11-21-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roysmoke View Post
        Mine are deadly quiet. I have the smaller heater buddies and typically have to turn them off even when temps are in the 30s because it gets too hot. Mitch has a place he hunts in Ohio where he has some of his blinds. You should ask him how it's been when temps drop.
        I’m not talking about temps in the 30’s but the teens. When I hunted Ohio every blind was spray foamed insulated. If I could hunt in temps at 0 in shorts and flip flops I would be happy. With my shoulder injuries and elbow injuries the colder it gets the harder it is for me to draw. I missed an opportunity in Kansas 10 yrs ago at 180-190 class at 10 yds because I was to cold to draw. It was 15 that morning.

Comment

I have had two RealBark stands sprayed with foam. They are very warm in the winter and noticeably cooler in the summer. I did the entire blind including the floor.

Comment

I insulated three of our wooden 6x6 with foam boards...I also have one that is non-insulated...After 8 years of insulation, I'm not sure it was worth the PITA to install.

Benefits.....
            maybe-maybe 5 deg cooler in early Oct when I get in it. Still a hot *****.
            Seems to muffle sound better.

Cons...
            scratches with any touch
            can be loud when leaning up against it in a chair.
            PITA to install
            With a shooting window open a heater doesn't keep it any more warm than without insulation.

With all windows closed my Mr Portable Buddy kept it toasty in 17 deg temps.....on the flipside it did the same in my one non-insulated in 12 degree temps. Had to turn it off in both instances.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Humper5.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24519471

Name:	Humper4a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	24519472

Name:	IMG_6313.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	24519473
            Last edited by Smart; 11-21-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

IMO Spray foam will be the best bet for those.

Comment

I think you will be fine with a propane heater. But to each his own. Nothing worse than being uncomfortable when you should be enjoying yourself. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
                  If there's no heat source it will still be cold inside and out.

Exactly
                  This ^^^

You can insulate it with 4” of wool, and if it is 4* when you go hunt, it will be 4* inside the blind...okay, maybe 9* . The insulation will be worthless without a heater, and I don’t believe the insulation will help much WITH the heater. Once you open a window, you are back to ambient temperature!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    This ^^^

You can insulate it with 4” of wool, and if it is 4* when you go hunt, it will be 4* inside the blind...okay, maybe 9* . The insulation will be worthless without a heater, and I don’t believe the insulation will help much WITH the heater. Once you open a window, you are back to ambient temperature!
                    My blind is simply carpeted on the inside and the temperature inside changes drastically when you open or close the windows. But to say the temperature wont change with the heater going and the windows open doesn't make much sense. My truck is way warmer with the heater going and the windows down than with the heater off and the windows up. You are correct in that when unoccupied it will be very close to the outside temperature but as soon as you add a 98 degree human body to the blind it will make a significant difference in the inside temperature. The more insulation the more of this added heat will be trapped inside the blind. I believe Krivomans have the deer view windows which means they don't have to be open until you are ready to shoot any way. But adding a buddy heater would definitely expedite the warming process.

Comment

I would not insulate mine. As much as they sweat seems like the perfect scenario for mold and mildew to build up.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                        I would not insulate mine. As much as they sweat seems like the perfect scenario for mold and mildew to build up.
                        That's what I was thinking. I have sat in my Blind on a cold morning and as soon as the sun hits the outside of the blind, moisture everywhere.

Comment

Brandon, it’s a waste of time and effort. As others have said, if it is 12* outside, it will be 12* inside unless you have a heater; then no need for insulation. Trust me on this. The heater will burn you out!

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                            Mr Buddy heater is really all you need.
                            This!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Brandon, it’s a waste of time and effort. As others have said, if it is 12* outside, it will be 12* inside unless you have a heater; then no need for insulation. Trust me on this. The heater will burn you out!
                              Yes sir. Bring plenty of propane and forget the insulation. I don't care if you are in a cardboard box, the Buddy will do the job given you don't run out of propane.

Comment

Working...
                              X