stone cold killers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stone cold killers....

I posted a pic of an eleven point buck I killed with a stone point. Here's a pic of the point used....

I've been using self knapped stone and obsidian points for five er so year now. Not all the time, but regular like. The best points for me come from raw Texas rocks, Perdenales, Georgetown Blue, Edwards. Hard to work but tough as nails and SHARP!!!!!

Herer's two local Alabama Tallahatta Quartzite points(1st and 4th) with two Texas points in the middle. The Tallahatta is fairly brittle...I've broken two on deer and hogs....

I usually mount em on Lodgepole Pine or Hickory shafts, making up a 600gr or so arra. I've found em to penetrate better than steel points on hogs. And at my deadly distance of eleven yards they fly great.
    troy

great Knapping skills someday Id like to try my hand at it.

Comment

Man you are all about traditional. Them are some nice looking points

Comment

sweet

Comment

Thats really neat! I've wanted to learn to knap for a couple of years now. Heed to get started. Congrats on the kill.

Comment

awesome, much respect for that.

Comment

thanks guys..

Buff, when I shoot steel I use 160 STOS and the 180 Silverflames. Daaauum, those Silverflames are sharp. Quickest kill I've made in forty years of bowhunting was a doe with a Silverflame. Arra went thru like lightning, she jumped sideways twice and fell dead. Elapsed time couldn't of been five seconds.
              troy

Comment

Thats awesome, how did you learn to make your own heads it has to bring you a great amount of satisfaction to make your own arrow and heads.

Comment

Too freakin' cool!

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Comment

KTULL, I wanted to learn how to make hunting heads so I drove to MOJAM, in Marshall Mo to sit with experienced knappers to learn first hand. I broke a lot of rock for a year, went back in July the next year and relearnt how!!!

I've killed deer and hogs with a bow, shaft, stone point that I made by hand. It's pretty cool doing so. And I really don't give up much to modern materials and factory equipment. After all, how much difference can it make at twelve yards???? And ya ought to se what I can do inside nine yards...
                    troy

Comment

That is awesome...I heard some time ago that tests have been conducted between stone "serrated" heads and steel, with the stone head having more penetration. Don't know if this is true but you didn't hear of too many hungry Indians.

Very impressive.

Doug Key

Comment

I really hate my computer at work. It won't let me see the pics!

Congratulations! I've made stone points for years, but I've never hunted with them. I've sold some to other people that have used them to hunt with!

Comment

thats dadgum thats awsome i have flint knapped two heads made out of glass and they arent very good but im pround of em

Comment

I AM impressed, you got skills...

Comment

Sweet! That's serious, hard core, traditional equipment!

Comment

Working...
                              X