No announcement yet.

Traditional FSC - Week 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and I was test shooting some arrows yesterday so I messed up the FSC part of it. I figure the off season is time to expand my horizons.

Comment

A note on those wood arrows:

They are Port Orford Cedar from 3Rivers, 11/32", cut to 30". With Tophat adapter and 250-grain fieldtip, F0C is 20% on the 725-grain arrow. Finished weight among the three arrows varies a bit ... between 710 grains and 756 grains. Those shots shown are the only ones outside of tuning the first one to cut-length yesterday that they have been shot. And the same arrows seem to fly fine out of both the 70# recurve and the 90# longbow/selfbow.

Making up the other nine arrows now. Figure I'll weigh and try to match them into similar groups before the weekend.

Brain needs to adjust a little for these slightly heavier wood arrows, since I normally shoot 679-grain carbons. Also, got some new 340-spine carbon Bemans for the heavy longbow, and they flew like darts out of the box, just screwing on the 300-grain fieldtip (even with plastic veins on, which could come in handy if it rains); they're slightly lighter -- at 632-grains -- than the other carbons.

Comment

Shot longbow first (the one that was supposed to be 75#@28", but turned out to be 90#@28"
        Dang, tradtiger! You must be a burly sonOfagun! Or I'm just a big weenie. 50# wears me out quickly.

Rain and cold in the hill country also. Plus I've got a long road trip coming up. I'll try to get some shooting done today and Friday.

Todd

Comment

Ha. Not big. All my strength claims are OLD: won a few arm-wrestling matches in college, USED to be able to do a few one-arm push-ups and throw a football almost 50 yards (with the wind).

Key to drawing and holding ANY weight bow comfortably is using the back muscles, which you can do by thinking of closing a car door with the back of your arm while holding an armload of groceries.

I will admit that 70 shots with the 90# longbow and another 50 with the 70# recurve yesterday was a pretty good workout.

Comment

Originally posted by cbc0905 View Post
            Thanks! Forgot to give credit to Jeffro for the wood arrows...that's probably why they shoot better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
            , by looking at the pics. id say the woods are spined right for the bow,
            thanks for the cudos but its still the shooter...or as ive heard,
            the monkey pulling the string...

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
              Ha. Not big. All my strength claims are OLD: won a few arm-wrestling matches in college, USED to be able to do a few one-arm push-ups and throw a football almost 50 yards (with the wind).

Key to drawing and holding ANY weight bow comfortably is using the back muscles, which you can do by thinking of closing a car door with the back of your arm while holding an armload of groceries.

I will admit that 70 shots with the 90# longbow and another 50 with the 70# recurve yesterday was a pretty good workout.
              I must admit, I really don't know that I am engaging my back muscles. I've tried thinking about holding a pencil between my shoulder blades, but I can't really feel that.

I will try the imagery that you propose.

Comment

Draw your imaginary bow.
                Put your elbow against the wall.
                Now try to expand your draw.
                You'll find/feel them back muscles real quick.
                Once you find them, they are easy to find again.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                  Draw your imaginary bow.
                  Put your elbow against the wall.
                  Now try to expand your draw.
                  You'll find/feel them back muscles real quick.
                  Once you find them, they are easy to find again.

Rick
                  Might as well work on this....nasty out again this morning.

Thanks, Rick.

Comment

Congratulations to CBC0905!
                    Nice shooting! Pick us a good challenge for next week!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X