Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

OK guys,

After seeing the DVD and some of your videos I would like to start videoing my own hunts/fishing and other outdoor adventures.

At this stage I know absolutely nothing of camcorders, and tripods.

I would appreciate it if you can give me a couple of guidelines and links on where to start.

Appreciate the help.

Gerhard

Gerhard did you try the search feature for "video camera" ?

You did? Great, then here is my opinion, don't settle for anything less than HD.

Camera: Sony FX1
    Tripod/Head: Manfrotto 3021BN & 501HD
    Monopod: 562B

This will get you started.....Oh don't forget, if you don't have quality Audio, your video won't be worth a crap!!

Comment

Originally posted by WSentertainment View Post
      Gerhard did you try the search feature for "video camera" ?

You did? Great, then here is my opinion, don't settle for anything less than HD.

Camera: Sony FX1
      Tripod/Head: Manfrotto 3021BN & 501HD
      Monopod: 562B

This will get you started.....Oh don't forget, if you don't have quality Audio, your video won't be worth a crap!!
      Thanks,

I like the camera but its way over my budget for now.

What do you suggest I look at in the $1000 to $1300 price range?

Thanks for the info.

Gerhard

Comment

Gerhard for that type of price range look at HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7, or the HV20.

Comment

Gerhard----I"m going to counter Coaches' recommendations. The cameras that he's suggesting are good but I think also, that since you are just starting out, that to confuse the issue of taping your stuff and including 'in the mix' the llearning curve of HD, higher end editing systems, monitors, and stuff, will just be a bit too much 'overload'.
          For the price range you have specified one of the most hardy,stable and available cameras would be the Canon GL2 of which it has been tried, tested and proved to be an outstanding little unit in the field.
          There are a couple of 'cross over' upgrades in HD for about a thousand dollars more.
          GL2's are readily available in good shape, second hand from many retailers around the world, eBay, B&H (last resort!) or other 'consumer' stores and internet sales outlets. You can find them on sale in the classifieds on Craig's List occassionally and also on HuntingFootage.com
          Go to Campbellscameras.com for a peak at some camera packages they have put together for hunting and taping.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
            GL2's are readily available in good shape, second hand from many retailers around the world, eBay, B&H (last resort!) or other 'consumer' stores and internet sales outlets.
            I know 3 people who are getting rid of their GL2's and upgrading to HD. So right there, is 3 GL2's that you could get 2nd hand if you decide to go the GL2 route.

Comment

Originally posted by WSentertainment View Post
              I know 3 people who are getting rid of their GL2's and upgrading to HD. So right there, is 3 GL2's that you could get 2nd hand if you decide to go the GL2 route.
              What price would a GL2 be second hand?

How do you know a second hand camera has no problems??

Thanks,

Gerhard

Comment

You actually don't know if a camera has problems but you make the decision of buying it from your relationship with the seller.
                I've seen them range in price from 1k to about $1400. Some still come with the warranty and some have been factory refurbished and some have been factory cleaned and the heads adjusted.
                I know that alot of people are 'upgrading' to HD but the initial investment for editing systems, true HD monitores\tv's, tape, etc. can become quite cost prohibitive for a novice videophile.
                I know this from first hand experience having been working in HD since '93....(yes, it's been around that long & actually much longer than that! It's just recently in the past 5 years become more acceptable because the price point has become more 'consumer'----just like computers, cars, and any other technology that first hits the market). For example: I paid 140K for my first HD camera and now you can buy them everyday for about 70K.....Did I lose money buying it first..........NO....because I had it, used it and shot programs with it LONG BEFORE many other production companies bought theirs.(and that was about 11 years ago.!)

I'm NOT SAYING don't buy HD.....
                just do some research beofre deciding to invest the money and then make an informed decision based on what YOU think is best........!!

One more thing! Since you're in Africa and the Middle East they probably use the PAL system.....so make sure your camera is too!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                  You actually don't know if a camera has problems but you make the decision of buying it from your relationship with the seller.
                  I've seen them range in price from 1k to about $1400. Some still come with the warranty and some have been factory refurbished and some have been factory cleaned and the heads adjusted.
                  I know that alot of people are 'upgrading' to HD but the initial investment for editing systems, true HD monitores\tv's, tape, etc. can become quite cost prohibitive for a novice videophile.
                  I know this from first hand experience having been working in HD since '93....(yes, it's been around that long & actually much longer than that! It's just recently in the past 5 years become more acceptable because the price point has become more 'consumer'----just like computers, cars, and any other technology that first hits the market). For example: I paid 140K for my first HD camera and now you can buy them everyday for about 70K.....Did I lose money buying it first..........NO....because I had it, used it and shot programs with it LONG BEFORE many other production companies bought theirs.(and that was about 11 years ago.!)

I'm NOT SAYING don't buy HD.....
                  just do some research beofre deciding to invest the money and then make an informed decision based on what YOU think is best........!!

One more thing! Since you're in Africa and the Middle East they probably use the PAL system.....so make sure your camera is too!
                  Thanks for all the info.

Gerhard

Comment

Working...
                  X