Deer coming to corn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer coming to corn?

I hunt out at Comfort Texas and have not had any deer coming to the feeders. I think it is because so many acorns are on the ground. Anyone else have this same experience in the hill country? Any suggestions for changing hunting tactics?

They are hitting are corn hard in East Texas but htey have been mostly doing it at night. We saw a total of 3 deer at the feeders all weekend.

Comment

I don't have any oak trees on my lease, and the deer aren't coming to corn much, except for some at night. With all the rain lately, they have lots of new forbs and such to eat. I think they're still eating prickly pear fruit too. I watched a herd graze around for a couple hours Saturday morning about 200 yards from my stand. Later, I walked over there to see what they were eating, and it was solid pear. I didn't find much else, other than grass. Some of the cactus still had good ripe fruit. I even saw a few that had green fruit.

We need a good freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

We need a good freeze.
        Agreed

Comment

They are coming to corn in Goliad county, mostly at night and again around noon. A good rain fall will sometime sour the acorns and the deer will not eat them as much, hopefully rain will help you out.

Comment

I agree, just wait for the acorns to sour, or move a blind into an area with lots of acorns if you have acorns on your place

Comment

I hunted around Lost Maples/Vanderpool last weekend and the corn was growing under the feeder. I hunted in Mountain Home this weekend and there wasn't a drop of corn under any of the 8 feeders on the ranch. Not sure what the differences are from place to place.

Comment

Im going through a bag a week in Decatur.

Comment

Originally posted by txsuperdad23 View Post
                  Im going through a bag a week in Decatur.
                  I'm up by Alvord (Wise/Montague Co.) and they are hitting my corn good. Both my stands are on the edge of an thick oak bedding area and I had 8 deer Sat. evening. But they are also hitting it hard at night too...
                  This rain will sour the acorns better than in the past few years so the rut ought to be great if I can keep the does around...

Comment

Coming good in Guadalupe and Hays counties, even with acorns on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                      I'm up by Alvord (Wise/Montague Co.) and they are hitting my corn good. Both my stands are on the edge of an thick oak bedding area and I had 8 deer Sat. evening. But they are also hitting it hard at night too...
                      This rain will sour the acorns better than in the past few years so the rut ought to be great if I can keep the does around...
                      Ive got a good crop this year. Numerous does eating up all my corn. Bobcat im stalking that he doesnt know about. Ive still got a big 10 coming in that is great at avoiding my trail cam some how. A couple of good 8's and saw a bachlor group of 7 crossing the road out side the front gate the other night all looked to be outside the ears. If I can keep them coming to corn or my food plot AR"s arent gonna hunt me this year. Picking and choosing does wonders but it also help to have lbj right now the road.

My deer are tearing up the deer cane and apple buck jam. 2 bags of dope and 1 bottle of syrup a week as well. Ive got em hooked lol.

Comment

TTT....
                        Not touching it milam county
                        Hammering every kernel in lampasas

Comment

I hunt in center point and since feeding in July I have been twice to check on things and feed and corn has been gone from under the feeders both times.

Comment

Working...
                          X