Pitchfork is Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitchfork is Down!

This hunt starts in October of 2010. Pitchfork, as he is now called, had made his appearance on the game cams this summer. Skipshot and I noticed him as a deer with potential but nothing that we wanted to put on the hit list at this time. I had just recently introduced my wife to bow hunting and she was spending some time in the stand with me during the 2010 season. Well, this buck came out with a typical 11 point frame and she immediately asked if she could shoot him. I acknowledged that it was fine by me and she slowly prepared for the shot. Everything was done perfectly in preparation for the shot but buck fever set in and the arrow was sent toward the buck only to go right over his back. In 2011, Pitchfork was now a mature deer but broke off a G3 while he was in velvet. He got a free pass and spent this last summer as a regular at the protein feeder. I immediately knew that I would like to go after this buck for the 2012 season. Well, one thing lead to another and with my lovely wife staying home with the kiddos, it was my turn to try for a buck. I left work and headed west to the lease this past Friday afternoon. I was able to crawl in the tree about 4:30 in preparation for the feeder to go off at 5:15. After the feeder went off, a doe and two yearlings came in and fed for a good while. About 6 they looked up as I saw a young 8 jump in the feed pen along with Pitchfork. I slowly reached for my bow and eased it on my knee as I clipped on my release. I waited for all eyes to look the other way and drew back as he was facing to the left and slightly quartered away. I settled in behind his shoulder and “WHACK”!! The arrow found its mark right behind the shoulder as blood immediately began to spray. As he jumped out of the feed pen I could see blood pouring out as he already started to go down. On his way down, about 20 yds from the feed pen, he crashed into a big mesquite and I could hear horns breaking. Well, he was down within 20 yds of my tree and I was pumped. Upon walking up to him, I could see that he had broken off 8 or so inches of his right beam and his G4. Needless to say, I was lucky enough to find all of the pieces and it will look just fine on the wall. This was a very memorable hunt and another rewarding experience to watch this deer grow and mature. He taped out at 134 3/8. Here are a few pictures of Pitchfork over the last couple of years.
    Attached Files

Great deer. Congrats

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Outstanding, great write up and progresion of pics!

Comment

Congrats. I can't wait til I can name a deer.

Comment

Outstanding buck, congrats.

Comment

great Buck. congrats

Comment

Nice buck...Congrats!

Comment

He's a good one! Congratulations!!!

Comment

Very nice buck!!!

Comment

Very nice, congrats.