No announcement yet.

Red Dot’s on Pistols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Leupold Deltapoint Pro can use the Jpoint or EGW adapter mount and they are much better than Leupold's mounts. Same mounting holes between Deltapoint, JPoint and Optima. They replace the rear sight and mine are a tight fit in dovetail. You just have to know what cut your rear sight is. You can also have your slide milled but that's not reversible, sight can sit a little lower and can look melted in.

JP Mounts
    http://jprifles.com/1.6.1a.php

EGW Mounts
    http://www.egwguns.com/optima/jp-mounts/

Comment

I guess the Burris Fastfire 3 works on those Jpiont adaptors or EGW mounts?

Comment

Burris Fastfire copies the Doctor mounting pattern.

http://www.egwguns.com/images/custom...st%20Final.pdf

Originally posted by kennyelp View Post
        I guess the Burris Fastfire 3 works on those Jpiont adaptors or EGW mounts?

Comment

I use an RMR on my duty pistol, an M&P Performance Center 9mm. I use it for my old eyes and especially in night shooting advantage to me. It is not faster in my opinion except at longer ranges. Like most things there are advantages and disadvantages.

There is a definite learning curve. I think the tendency is to look for the dot or even stare at the sight itself. You have to look at your target first and really push out or lock your arms. Yes looking at the target seems obvious but it isn’t true when you start staring at the glass trying to find the dot.

My old reading glasses needed eyes can’t hardly make out even night sights in darkness. The dot overcomes that. With my AR15 the red dot is all about speed in any light, period. A mounted rifle on the shoulder with my cheek against the stock as an anchor point makes the dot acquisition instant. That luxury does not exist for an unsteady handgun at arms length.

They can be learned and fun to shoot but in my opinion there is simply no comparison to a red dot on a rifle and on a handgun. Just don’t buy one thinking they are the same even if you are shooting to exact same model.

If it was for a personal defense weapon and unless the person puts in a lot of time and ammo at the range, I wouldn’t get one. If a person has the time and money or if it is for fun or hunting, they can be great.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
            I use an RMR on my duty pistol, an M&P Performance Center 9mm. I use it for my old eyes and especially in night shooting advantage to me. It is not faster in my opinion except at longer ranges. Like most things there are advantages and disadvantages.

There is a definite learning curve. I think the tendency is to look for the dot or even stare at the sight itself. You have to look at your target first and really push out or lock your arms. Yes looking at the target seems obvious but it isn’t true when you start staring at the glass trying to find the dot.

My old reading glasses needed eyes can’t hardly make out even night sights in darkness. The dot overcomes that. With my AR15 the red dot is all about speed in any light, period. A mounted rifle on the shoulder with my cheek against the stock as an anchor point makes the dot acquisition instant. That luxury does not exist for an unsteady handgun at arms length.

They can be learned and fun to shoot but in my opinion there is simply no comparison to a red dot on a rifle and on a handgun. Just don’t buy one thinking they are the same even if you are shooting to exact same model.

If it was for a personal defense weapon and unless the person puts in a lot of time and ammo at the range, I wouldn’t get one. If a person has the time and money or if it is for fun or hunting, they can be great.
            Thanks you for your service and the insight.

I wouldn’t buy it as a primary protection gun. If I shoot it and become proficient then I may change my mind down the road but my intention is just for targets and carrying at the lease.
            I am impressed with how fast some of these people can move and shoot but I also understand it’s not because of a magical attachment they installed on their gun but rather lots of time and work.

Comment

Well after doing some research and being able to put my hands on a few different guns I decided to go with a Kimber KHX .45 ACP that has a Vortex Viper installed.
              I debated even posting yet because I did not have the time to go shoot it yet but I hope to be at the range within the next two days, worst case by this weekend.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X