Fishing on a paddle board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing on a paddle board

Anyone on here fish from a paddle board? My son is saving his money and wanting to buy one. No one in my circle of friends have one set up for fishing so I can offer him no real advice..... Man them things are expensive coming in at about $2K.

He has been on paddle board a few times but not for fishing. I have not.

J-Fish in Conroe

This is similar to what he is desiring.
    Attached Files

those cat style boards are nice but not necessary. I fish from a standard touring style board and have no issue with a fly rod or conventional tackle. I use one of my buddies, I think it's 11'2" and I can throw a 25qt bison cooler, a dry bag and be good to go. Those ones are really nice but if he's just wanting to get into it basic ones like Jimmy Stix, Tower, Austin Paddle Sports or an inflatable from SeaEagle would be good.

I like the Bote boards better than those Live2Fish boards
    BOTE crafts the highest quality, most innovative, best looking, and easiest to use stand up paddle boards, kayaks, docks and paddle gear on the planet. Shop BOTE for Black Friday deals today.

Comment

Hooligan, who in Houston sells Bote? I have seen them (I should say he has had me watch videos on them) but where is the best place to see them in person? Anyone do a wet test with them? How does one get his feet wet with one?!? lol pun intended.

Comment

Look at Kaku as well. They make a couple of fishing boards as well as kayaks. I have a Wahoo 12.5' kayak that I love to fish out of. But their fishing SUPs look pretty awesome too.

Austin Canoe & Kayak sells them, and they have 2 locations in Houston. May be another dealer or two in Houston, I don't know. I had ACK in Austin ship my two kayaks to me.
        Last edited by Shane; 07-12-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
          Hooligan, who in Houston sells Bote? I have seen them (I should say he has had me watch videos on them) but where is the best place to see them in person? Anyone do a wet test with them? How does one get his feet wet with one?!? lol pun intended.
          I have no idea on the Houston area. My buddy up here has a paddle sports shop and I just shot him a text, will PM you if he has any shop recommendations.

I will recommend that he paddles a couple. Its like a kayak, everyone is gonna have a different fit and feel. Big upfront cost but then you're set. Invest in good racks too. Not much to make your heart sink like watch $3k worth of boards go flying off your expedition in the rearview mirror... luckily I was able to flip around and get them back but repairs aren't cheap

Looks like these guys are the main Houston dealer
          Fishing Tackle Unlimited

12800 Gulf Frwy
          Houston, Texas 77034
          United States

Phone: 281-481-6838

I've heard good things about these but never used one
          Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboards & accessories For adventurers and fishermen

Comment

That's pretty cool looking but for that money I'd look at the Hobie Pro Angler. About the same money and more vestal IMO.

Comment

If he's interested in getting a kayak, I'd check out Nucanoe. They have a few models that are wide open decks that you can customize to whatever you would like. I stand up and paddle mine a lot, bass fish, and duck hunt out of it as well. I don't know much about the SUP's.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                That's pretty cool looking but for that money I'd look at the Hobie Pro Angler. About the same money and more vestal IMO.
                X2 on this.

Comment

why is he stuck on buying a paddle board? What style and type of fishing is he wanting to do?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                    X2 on this.
                    Love me a paddle board . But yea kayaks are so good these days and more versatile than a paddle board I would think . You can stand all over these new age yaks no?

Comment

I recently rigged out a paddleboard for fishing and it works great. My main reason for the paddleboard is they float shallower than a kayak and they have greater stability for standing and casting. I like to fish some pretty skinny back lakes that my bay boat cannot get into. I refuse to buy another shallow running boat because that's all they're good for. My solution: I bought a used paddleboard. I had my neighbor weld up a removable trolling motor mount for the back. The weight of the motor was too much, so off of that mount I made two pontoons for stability purposes. So now I motor out to the bay in my boat to where I can anchor up outside of the entrance to back lakes and I assemble my paddle board and take off. It moves about as fast as I could jog. I know if it has a motor it should be registered. I guess I'll deal with that if a game warden is bored enough to mess with a paddle boarder in a back lake. Sorry I don't have any pics of it. The benefits of the board is that it fits next to my console much better than a kayak and when sneaking up on a tailing red I can shut off the motor and pole right up to it.

Comment

I have a bote flood, i also have a bonafide kayak, I love the bote board and would way rather be on it, my tips are get a yeti, a 25-45 depending on how much he weighs, I try and push the weight rating as much as I can, in my opinion it makes it more stable also it doubles as a chair. have him do his research, depending on what type of fishing he does will determine what kind of board, I do a lot of shallow water fishing and wish I would have got an inflatable, you will never rip them they are super stable and you can’t scratch, crack and nick it like the fiberglass... the under neath of mine looks like I dry it off with sand paper and it makes me sick to my stomach. We will definitely want a bote board that accepts the rack bote board offers, most of them do. I hang my back pack on my rack and I have 3 rod holders on it as well, another great buy is a sand spear, don’t buy bote boards... waist of money, you can make your own 8 foot fiber glass rod to shove into the ground and tie off too, some of the new models of bote board come with a scupper type hole in them for this purpose. If he is hesitant of spending the bread on a bote, the flood maverick is a fraction of the price and way more riggable for fishing, just not as cool as a bote board. But they are made of good plastic so scratching and hitting things isn’t as big of a deal... hope I could help, if you have any questions I’d love to answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	24546332Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	24546333Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg