Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Raleigh
Ten Point

Default Are Cutco Knives really worth the price?

As a favor to a friend I had a Cutco sales guy give my wife and I the pitch last nite. To say I was shocked at the prices is an understatement. I just had no idea how much these things cost. I am sure they are awesome knives but $1,200.00??

Is there a high quality knife company out there that is not as expensive as Cutco or is that just price for a high quality set of knives.

Appreciate your feedback.
Raleigh
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Hail no!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
mfarmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

I have the Cutco filet knife and ill say, its not my go to when cleaning fish...
We just had a home show in Victoria a month ago and Cutco sales rep had a booth. I talked to him for a while due to interest in a set of good knives including steak knives. He went from $1200 to $750 in about 5 minutes... for his 1 time end of show special. I still walked but if you're considering it, there is room for negotiation.
mfarmer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Not sure if they went up on their pricing but when my sister sold them in high school, my parents bought a set of 8 steak knives, the kitchen shears, and a full block of chefs knives for around $600 or so. That was almost 12 years ago and everything I'm over there for dinner they're still as sharp as I remember the day they got them
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

I have ONE like this.

Name:  drop-point-knife.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  69.4 KB

It hasn't impressed me yet.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Nope. It's a big marketing racket where a bunch of people get paid. The sales guy, his boss, his boss' boss, etc.
BitBackShot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
duckboy007
Six Point

Hunt In: TX, AR, & OK

If youre looking for something for the kitchen, there are much better options. You don't see many professional chefs running Cutco.
duckboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

I have the hunting knife and kitchen set and IMO yes they are. Are kitchen set gets used heavily and have never had an issue.
gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Wife bought a set when her cousin was selling them. They're good knives, haven't had any issues with the kitchen knives. I broke the fillet knife while cleaning a redfish. I sent it back and they sent me a brand new one.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy007 View Post
If youre looking for something for the kitchen, there are much better options. You don't see many professional chefs running Cutco.
Some of the Cutco tools are really great and others not so great. I have two sets of the kitchen shears and they are absolutely the best I have ever seen. One set is very old and still cuts like new. I have two hunting knives, one serrated blade and one straight edge. The guarantee on the serrated blade is legit they will sharpen in for free but you have to ship it to them but worth it. The straight edge is OK but not the best but still a good knife. I really like the handle on both of them very user friendly. I have some of the kitchen knives and 4 steak knives. The kitchen knives stay in the drawer and I very rarely use them (I have german knives for everything meat). The steak knives are excellent and we use them a lot. So there you go! Picky what you buy.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaleziam View Post
I have the hunting knife and kitchen set and IMO yes they are. Are kitchen set gets used heavily and have never had an issue.
My son's buddy was selling them in college and I bought one to help him out. That knife is still my go to gutting/skinning knife and seems to be very well made. It's the only one I own but I am impressed with the overall quality if that means anything.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
OrangeBlood
Ten Point

Hunt In: where the deer are

My wife, MIL & SIL all have Cutco's, they like them. They didn't pay $1200 for them though, not sure which set we have but I believe they were around $700 at the state fair.
OrangeBlood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #13
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I think they are great knives, it's their sales model that bugs me. I might try one if I could go online and buy a single knife. Instead it's a local kid, eg: son of a friend, who calls and says "I just started this new job and I need to practice my presentation. Can I come by one evening this week?" You then get the full-blown pitch along with a $1,200 price tag. No thanks.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
postman
Ten Point

You are paying a lot for the name, can you get the job done for less, absolutely. Salesmanship sells. Only thing better if a good lookin, scantly clad woman would have been selling them. Then I there is an option to have a couple beers while your lookin at the show to loosen you up a bit. My take and 2 cent.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #15
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I think they are great knives, it's their sales model that bugs me. I might try one if I could go online and buy a single knife. Instead it's a local kid, eg: son of a friend, who calls and says "I just started this new job and I need to practice my presentation. Can I come by one evening this week?" You then get the full-blown pitch along with a $1,200 price tag. No thanks.
Yep, this college kid in our neighborhood did the same thing. Ask someone they're friends with for their full contact list of the neighborhood, we got a heads up that "I gave this great kid your name. He's super cool and hard working." Kid calls, I tell him we don't need any knives, "Oh, I totally get it. Can I just run the pitch by you for practice even though you won't buy anything?" And then he puts the hard sale on and acts insulted when the answer is still no.

I know his parents. They have more money than I do. I feel no obligation to pay for his beer money, and it's annoying that I'm now the bad guy.
BitBackShot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #16
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

I got one for a present back in 1968. I have never had to send it in to be sharpened(they will do it for free) and it has cleaned hundreds of deer and pigs. I probably will send it in after a few more. Not sure of the quality now but that old knife has been a great one.
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #17
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Nothing about the knife demands a high price. Cheap steel that they use on every knife at Walmart.

People may very well like them, but you could spend way less to get the same thing, or spend the same amount of money and get a good set.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #18
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

The kitchen ones are for sure.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #19
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

As someone who has used a knife or knives, for almost 35 years, on a daily basis, ABSOLUTLEY not... No way in hail.. They are a good average blade with a cheap, rubber handle that is very inexpensive to produce..

They have become a FAD. It will fade and something else will take there place.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Anything that comes with a "free" sales pitch is not a great deal... or it wouldn't need the pitch, which you are paying for.
They're good knives, but there are PLENTY of really good knives nowadays that can be had for a fraction of that cost.
If you're a utilitarian type consider Victorinox.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

They absolutely are worth the money. No other kitchen knives come close.

Can you make do with a department store brand? Sure. But if you want the best and can afford it they are peerless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite, TX - Mills County

I'm neither a butcher, nor a meat cutter. My go to knife for cutting meat has become the Victoronix Fibrox boning knife:

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Pro...fe/p/5.6603.15

Between the Victoronix, a Havalon, and a Rapala filet knife I can clean and process fish, birds, deer and hogs. The Victoronix is easy to sharpen, holds an edge well, and is easy to clean. I need to have someone make a sheath for it, as well as for my Rapala filet knife.

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #23
talleywack97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out East a bit

My ol man has a cutco from the 60's he skins/processes with and its pretty legit, but i bet the steel is better than new stuff, just a guess
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #24
breederbuck33
Ten Point

The thing about Cutco is that once you buy them your done buying knives for a very very long time. If they get dull or break send them back and they sharpen/replace the knives. My FIL has a set he bought from his nephew and its jam up. I have the filet knife and its good for trout and crappie, but the Bubba blade set is much better for red fish and snapper.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #25
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
I have ONE like this.

Attachment 910813

Really? Love mine. Makes quick work on deer/pigs
youngbuck1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #26
str8shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin Co. - Fish in Alaska

I don't have complete set of the kitchen knives, but I own a lot of them. The steak knives are the best I've ever used. I have an 11 inch chef's knife that my wife messed up pretty good trying to use it as a meat cleaver. Sent it in and they replaced it - No Questions Asked. The cheese knife is the bomb. I have a couple of utility knives that get used a lot. Two sets of Super Shears - MUST HAVE. I've taken these apart and used to skin a hog because it was all I had in my pack. Worked better than my knife would have. Also have the same hunting knife pictured above in post #5 and I love it.
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #27
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Worth the price? Not really in my opinion. That being said it took me buying a couple of their knives to realize that. Now I wont toss the ones that I have but I probably wont buy another one.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #28
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

The kid that showed them to us told us how much money I could save by cutting up chickens, ribeye rolls, etc by having his expensive knives. I told him I could save $1200 off the top by not buying his knives because you can do that stuff with cheaper knives I already had in the drawer.
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #29
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

I have some Cutco shears that are great, but the knives.....not that great. I've got a few of their carving knives and paring knives that are just "ok". They don't hold an edge very long, and I'm not very hard on my kitchen knives.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #30
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Nope, they are stamped steel. Not even forged for that price.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #31
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Quote:
I have ONE like this.

Attachment 910813

I have this same knife with the gut hook. I have only skinned 2 axis deer but I love it! Stays super sharp and we caped out both animals, entire body and was very impressed.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #32
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh View Post
As a favor to a friend I had a Cutco sales guy give my wife and I the pitch last nite. To say I was shocked at the prices is an understatement. I just had no idea how much these things cost. I am sure they are awesome knives but $1,200.00??

Is there a high quality knife company out there that is not as expensive as Cutco or is that just price for a high quality set of knives.

Appreciate your feedback.
Raleigh
From your perspective, OP. Is it clear after reading this thread if they are worth it or not?
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #33
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Wusthof kitchen knives are **** hard to beat for the money.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #34
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Nope, they are stamped steel. Not even forged for that price.
This. They are cheap, stamped, poorly balanced knives. The reason they’ll replace a broken knife so easily is because they are so cheap.

If you have $1200 for knives get 3-4 Shuns or Mercer MX1s and a decent hone and sharpener. If you don’t want to spend $1200 get some Victorinox or Mercer forged and a Chef’s Choice sharpener. With any of those choices you’ll be passing those knives to your children if you care for them properly.

Avoid Dexter. Their handle sucks and they changed their steel a while back to subpar product.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #35
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

I have a hunting knife, the filet knife, and a set of shears. The shears are are awesome. I use those for doves, quail, and other various things. The hunting knife is pretty good, but I can't say it's that much better than other stuff out there for less money. I don't love the fillet knife, but I still use it. The extendable blade is a good idea, but it'll slide back in once you put some pressure on it. I don't have much experience with the kitchen knives.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #36
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Victorinox knives are well worth the money, a better knife, and they are inexpensive.... I've wore out hundreds..

Cutco is the Kirby Vacuum of the knife world..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #37
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

There is room to negotiate price but yes I feel they are worth it. We’ve had ours for probably close to 10 years. They sharpen them for free for life and they hold an edge for a long time.

We just had ours resharpened. We’ve only had to have them sharpened 3 times since we’ve owned them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #38
Raleigh
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
From your perspective, OP. Is it clear after reading this thread if they are worth it or not?
Yes and thank all of you for your input. Many times on this site a simple question or comment goes down the rabbit hole so fast the OP never get any straight advice. I commend all of you for your honest feedback

Simple answer is I will look elsewhere for some kitchen knives.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #39
nando
Ten Point

Quote:
I have ONE like this.

Attachment 910813

I have that one, and it is basically, crap.
nando is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #40
equyst
Six Point

I have some Cutco shears,I think that are great
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top