Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #51
Diamond S
Ten Point

I can't understand why I can't drop this and say it is what it is. I know most all of you are right in your replies to similar things that you have seen. I guess my hang up is the iPhone.

Why you ask, well it could be he has a son or daughter that has tried to help and he keeps messing up and they have had enough. So now they just pay for the plan in case he gets in a bad bind he has some way to contact someone. But for the life of me I can't understand why any able body person would eat food off of the floor and out of the trash can. I know I did not speak to him and he could have had mental issues, but the old radar did not go off saying this guy is off or keep an eye on him, or he is bad news or any of the other gut feeling you would get. I guess that is just the price you pay for always trying to be aware of what is going on around you.
Diamond S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 01:54 AM   #52
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

I would have done the same thing as you OP. No doubt about it
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 01:56 AM   #53
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond S View Post
I can't understand why I can't drop this and say it is what it is. I know most all of you are right in your replies to similar things that you have seen. I guess my hang up is the iPhone.

Why you ask, well it could be he has a son or daughter that has tried to help and he keeps messing up and they have had enough. So now they just pay for the plan in case he gets in a bad bind he has some way to contact someone. But for the life of me I can't understand why any able body person would eat food off of the floor and out of the trash can. I know I did not speak to him and he could have had mental issues, but the old radar did not go off saying this guy is off or keep an eye on him, or he is bad news or any of the other gut feeling you would get. I guess that is just the price you pay for always trying to be aware of what is going on around you.
So, if this is the case and a son or daughter is paying for the iPhone plan, then they are now an enabler. And that doesn’t solve or help the root cause
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 02:10 AM   #54
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Well heck...did you see if he had unlimited data? He could have been really poor and only had 10 gigs a month. Don't be selfish.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 AM   #55
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Well heck...did you see if he had unlimited data? He could have been really poor and only had 10 gigs a month. Don't be selfish.
Maybe its still a extended plan on the Obama phone...?
MasonCo. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 AM   #56
J-DUB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Batson, Sonora, Africa, North Dakota, Saskatchewan

wonder who he texts, other homeless people? If its his family or friends, why don't they help him out? For me, i would rather eat and have a place to live than a cell phone, i would have kept walking
J-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #57
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

He may simply have had a daughter in competitive cheer...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #58
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post

This^^^ truth
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #59
Jtrisler
Six Point

Quote:
funny.......but oh so true!!
Jtrisler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #60
Rescue1
Eight Point

Quote:
I laughed harder than I should at this. man speaks the truth

op, I'd have done the same.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #61
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
You funny long time
Diamond S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #62
DTala
Ten Point

I'd of probably walked also.

I NEVER give money...ever. I will offer to buy em gas or food, but I have only once had anyone take me up on that. I bought food and gas for a woman I found parked, sleeping in her car, in an out of way place once. She was running from an abusive man, and looked like a punching bag. She had run near out of gas and just parked the car.

My wife once LOUDLY cussed a woman that needed gas money in a WalMart parking lot...same woman had hit her up the week before in the same lot for the same reason. LOL
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #63
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
So let me set this up right quick. The wife and I are in Wendys eating lunch, I see this typical looking homeless guy pushing a grocery cart full of stuff up to the wall. Now here is where I really feel bad for the guy, there were two kids ( 16 to 18 years old ) at the table next to us. one of them dropped a chicken nugget on the floor and just left it. About the time they were leaving homeless comes in, he spots the cn and walks over, picked it up and eats it. Then he goes to a trash can in the corner and digs out left overs and sits at a table and begins to eat. I tell the wife what I just witnessed and said I was going to give him some money. I started that way with money in hand, I was about 10 feet from him about to introduce myself and make the offer when he reached in his pocket and pulled out what looked to be an iPhone 8 and started checking text messages. I walked right on past him and out the door.

I mean i didn't feel nearly as sorry for him as when I first saw him.

What would you have done?
I woulda offered him $50 for the iPhone.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #64
Charles
Pope & Young

I would have kept on walking too.

I don't give money. I have offered to buy a meal.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #65
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:

That same person will sell that phone just as fast as you give it to him. A close family friend had a kid that went off the deep end. They haven't spoken to their son in over a year, no idea if he's alive or not. Serious mental health issues, and he does not want help. They always left him with a phone. And sure enough, a week or two later, it was "lost" to the first person who offered $50.

Good on you for having a heart, most wouldn't think twice about it. But sometimes it's better to find other ways to serve the homeless.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #66
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Quote:
Worth every penny
Attached Images

low_tec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #67
monsterspike
Eight Point

i try to not lean on my own understanding, rather i seek to be led by The Spirit, in each individual case. that said, i cant imagine a time where i would not buy a meal for someone eating off the floor. i expect i would walk out of my way, and then back to them, to serve them a meal, and i would never advice another to walk away.

am i the sucker? we will find out on judgement day. stay tuned.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #68
"DOC"
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtradesman View Post
Anyone ever read "The same difference as me"? Its called the hamburger drop. Lol
This, Happens a LOT..............
"DOC" is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #69
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I MIGHT would have offered him some food not money BEFORE the cell phone, after the cell phone I would have offered nothing. I had a guy ask me t buy him some food in Mississippi at Taco Bell, I got an application and told him I would but to fill it out and turn it in.. he refused so I didn't buy him anything..
randal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #70
COWDOG
Six Point

Hunt In: Hico / Crews

I had two homeless people ask me in a months time for a random amount.
Not sure why..

For example

One asked for $1.14 and a couple weeks later a different one asked me for $3.27
COWDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #71
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
This. If you want to help the homeless with money, donate to a homeless program or soup kitchen. You will help more people that way.
Anyone work with food ministries? The waste is pretty high. Most people "in need" won't even take the food they're offered. A lot of the ones that do take it are putting on a show and give it away.

We have very very few "in need" people in America. We do have a lot of people that feel bad for "the poor" and enable them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
It’s a tough call. It is impossible for any of us to do an immediate assesment to accurately determine who is a scammer and who is not. I’m not going to argue with either extreme - those who give to nobody or those who give to everybody. One question I ask myself is why do I feel compelled to give? Is it true human compassion or is it an easy way to make me feel better about myself? Am I trying to helping them or me? The obvious BS artist at the gas station (just trying to get gas so I can see my kid in the hospital, etc) gets nothing from me. In other situations I would rather err on the side of compassion even though I am probably getting played.
I almost never give. There are just too many food banks etc they can go to around here. And every store has a Now Hiring sign also.

Every person who gives IMO just makes the problem hang around and get worse.

And IMO most people give because after so many years in church hearing about charity, helping the poor, blah blah they feel guilty if they don't give. Everyone needs to face the fact that these people prey on nice people's feelings.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #72
monsterspike
Eight Point

river rat, there is a lot of waste in feeding deer as well. i prefer to waste mine on people. my wildlife feeding bill will not exceed my efforts toward humanity. but by all means, you are free to do it your way.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #73
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

What if someone gave him the iPhone 8?
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #74
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

My question is who do you call when you're homeless? Preferably someone with a house I assume.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #75
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

I have 3 BILs. 1 has health issues, 1 is homeless and 1 I like. So I have some insight into the homeless bit.

1. He is mentally unstable. Could stay with his brother. But won't abide by any rules.

2. Not trustworthy or my wife would've put him up. He was in roofing. Who knows the number of people he conned. I could even let him stay at my lakehouse till it sells, but not trustworthy. He sold his enclosed utility trailer to another relative type. Never gave him the trailer.

3. His brother (the one I like) gave him an iphone. Actually tracks him so that he knows where he is at.

4. He expects to be taken care of. When my wife or I help out someone in the family, he thinks he should be given something. One BIL did move in for about 4 months to recover from a transplant. Of course the homeless expects that he should also move in.

5. Believes he doesn't get enough from the government even though he never paid taxes.

6. I mention him getting a job and all I hear is that he is 70 years old. Think I'll still be working at that age. He could work - just not right in the head.

7. He has a daughter and a son. Son is a lot like him. Daughter could help.

8. He did have a lady that let him live in her house for a while. Wouldn't abide by rules again. This time for not having anyone stay there when she wasn't there.

9. Recently his truck broke down at a Walmart I think. He pulls out a lawn chair and sets up camp until they tell him he has to move. He somehow got someone to feel like he was creepy.... might've been girl scouts selling cookies or something. Got someone to tow him to a auto shop. They check out the truck. He was out of gas.

We give to church and charities. We do not give to homeless individuals.
dfkoon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #76
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

Don't anyone take this as condescending towards your decision or me being self righteous as it's just the way I'm wired. I understand some of it is humor & not addressing those posts.

If I'm at a restaurant & see what appears to be a homeless / less unfortunate person eating food off the floor & looking for 2nds in a trashcan, I'm gonna order something for them to eat immediately.

Don't care how one got there or about any other possessions on their persons / in their cart that isn't nourishment. Even if I saw cash, I have to assume there is a mental issue?? Hey, I've been through tough times & for sure remember eating a meal I wish was a ribeye, but have been truly blessed to never recall going to bed hungry because I didn't have the resources to eat something.

The fancy phone is weird, but I've never seen someone eat food off the floor like you described & worked in Mexico for 14 years where poverty is way more rampant. We all know that pan handling / begging can be a game, but consuming off the ground isn't playing. How hungry would one have to feel to degrade yourself & hope someone doesn't pick up a nugget to eat...either severe hunger or mentally unstable & I'm ok if anyone feels I'm getting taken for a ride over a meal.

Right on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #77
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

The only ones I feel sorry for really are the ones that are mentally ill, which is likely a bunch of them.

I haven't a sprinkle of sympathy for the ones who are younger, healthier, and more able to work than me, but choose to beg for drug money.
cuttingedge is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #78
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX
Default Would you have done the same?

“Excuse me sir. I noticed you’re eating out of garbage cans and thought of giving you a couple dollars. Then I noticed a better iPhone than I have. Can you help me understand?”

Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #79
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Well one thing I know is that some people have phones that are paid for by a family member...so they can stay in touch or check in on them...or whatever. I know several guys that are in a pretty tough spot in life at the moment, but still have phones.

Skinny
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #80
CEO
Ten Point

Stopped at the ATM by the house to get some cash for the Astros game on Saturday afternoon. We pull out of the bank and there is a woman and boy with a sign saying she has 4 kids, lost job, etc. I notice the sign almost looks laminated, definitely made for long term use.

Fast forward a few hours later. We leave the Astros game and as were walking out of the stadium we see the same boy, same sign, but with a man. We all look at each other in disbelief. Seeing the same people begging for money 40 miles apart on the same day was strange.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #81
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
Stopped at the ATM by the house to get some cash for the Astros game on Saturday afternoon. We pull out of the bank and there is a woman and boy with a sign saying she has 4 kids, lost job, etc. I notice the sign almost looks laminated, definitely made for long term use.

Fast forward a few hours later. We leave the Astros game and as were walking out of the stadium we see the same boy, same sign, but with a man. We all look at each other in disbelief. Seeing the same people begging for money 40 miles apart on the same day was strange.

It’s a franchise?

Do they look like Roma (gypsies)?

Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #82
CEO
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
It’s a franchise?

Do they look like Roma (gypsies)?

This was the exact description I used when I first saw the kid.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #83
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

only one thing to do.. hump him 'til he pees
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #84
cactusassjohn
Four Point

Hunt In: nebraska/texas/south dakota

my sister carries packages of new socks and underware in her car cant count the number of times they r thrown back in her face most want money to support their habits omaha has many shelters and the only time they r filled is when its cold out
cactusassjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #85
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mont. County and Anderson County

There are 2 things that homeless people have never turned down when I offered; beer and money. I no longer offer/give cash. I will give them food, drink, or clothes if needed but not money.
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #86
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

If the change in my pocket can help someone, I give it to them. They need it more than me.
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #87
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
So let me set this up right quick. The wife and I are in Wendys eating lunch, I see this typical looking homeless guy pushing a grocery cart full of stuff up to the wall. Now here is where I really feel bad for the guy, there were two kids ( 16 to 18 years old ) at the table next to us. one of them dropped a chicken nugget on the floor and just left it. About the time they were leaving homeless comes in, he spots the cn and walks over, picked it up and eats it. Then he goes to a trash can in the corner and digs out left overs and sits at a table and begins to eat. I tell the wife what I just witnessed and said I was going to give him some money. I started that way with money in hand, I was about 10 feet from him about to introduce myself and make the offer when he reached in his pocket and pulled out what looked to be an iPhone 8 and started checking text messages. I walked right on past him and out the door.

I mean i didn't feel nearly as sorry for him as when I first saw him.

What would you have done?
So I ran this scenario by a few people at work to see what they would do. 5 out of 5 (myself included) said we would buy the person something to eat but not give any money. We discussed the phone issue and one guy said maybe it was an "Obama phone". What the heck? Unbelievably, this is real.

https://www.obamaphone.com/

As someone mentioned in a previous post, maybe a family member bought the phone for this person to keep track of him.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #88
Dslatter12
Spike

That’s why you don’t give them money. If you want to give them something go buy something then give it to him.
Dslatter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #89
Change Up
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place I can

The only time I give anything is if the person has a dog. I will go to the store and buy a small bag it take it back to him. Most of them seem to be pretty happy about it.
Change Up is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #90
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I won't lie, I do pay when the signs make me laugh. I saw one a couple weeks ago that said, "I bet you can't hit me with a quarter." I didn't try, but I didn't give him $5

I’ll give the bum credit for never forgetting him but had one in corpus that had multiple signs. Me and a buddy flipped cushions and rattled coin jars to get from Kingsville to Corpus just to get a dang book we needed for a class. Sitting at the light heading home this bum is walking the line and gets to us and I just shake my head. Sum buck flips the sign over and it reads “Smile! You could be me instead!”

Took every ounce of strength my buddy had to keep me in the truck after I rolled down the window and proceeded to explain to him we were two broke ***** college students and that he probably had more money on him right then than between what the two of us all semester.

Bc of that bum for awhile I was stuffing job apps into envelopes and handing those out

Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #91
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
In usually not one to give to homeless people... unless they’re missing an extremity or have a dog.
I am exactly opposite on this. Pets are a luxury. Eat the dog.

It floors me to see any homeless person with a pet...or see one smoking...or see one that is obese. No sympathy.

I read somewhere sometime ago that 30-50 percent of dog food in New York City is consumed by humans.

OP...Idve done the same thing.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #92
JHT
Pope & Young

I am a sucker for a good sign too.

I would rather give some cash to someone standing at an intersection in this heat rather than give it to this guy:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ight=preachers
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #93
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I’ll pay for an entertaining sign.

Was in New Orleans when a guy had a sign that said “need fuel for personal jet”

You sir are awarded 5$ for your sense of humor!! Hahaha I enjoyed seeing that sign.

Sierracharlie out…
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #94
CaptainDave
Ten Point

We used to build boxes in our church group to hand out to homeless people. We would put a few items in each of them - bottle of water, pack of crackers, can of Vienna sausage, disposable shower cap, travel bottles of shampoo/conditioner, card with bible verse or short prayer, etc.

I used to keep a few in my truck and hand them out at intersections from time to time. Driving around Houston, homeless people are on many corners, so it was easy to hand them out.

Regardless, I had numerous people refuse a 2nd box on a later date. All they wanted was money to continue their habits. Didn't care about food, water or anything else. There was one guy that was always very thankful...I think his dog was too.

Bottom line, if you really want to help homeless people, donate to your local church, food pantry or the like. Give one some food if you like. But don't give them any money.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #95
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Maybe be was checking his gofund me account. I don’t give money to them
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top