Hooch wine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooch wine.

I've been wanting to make some wine here lately but with all these folks making bread at home all of the yeast has been bought up. I made a score today at wally world and finally snagged me some. The ratio is for 32 ounces of 100 percent juice you add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. I like to pour the jug of juice into a large pitcher first then disolve the sugar. I then funnel it back into the jug and add the yeast so it gets close to the right amount. I keep an extra jug or wine bottle handy to add the excess liquid to, then add yeast to that bottle. Give the jugs a good shake and either slightly crack the cap or put a balloon on it. the baloon may need to be burped in a couple days. The wine will be ready in a few weeks and then will have to be racked, or siphoned out of the jug because of waste left behind from the yeast. Its rrady to drink at that point.

I also have a gallon bag of frozen dew berries i picked on my fence last week I will be making some winenout of very soon. Hope yall can enjoy this with some friends and family

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Better tape those balloons on the bottles.

Comment

I drink that and I will turn into a
      Hoochie lol

Comment

It’s really that simple ? Am not a wine drinker but my wife is. How do you know when it’s ready, just three weeks and done , or some other way to tell if it’s ready ? Ballon deflates, maybe ?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
          It’s really that simple ? Am not a wine drinker but my wife is. How do you know when it’s ready, just three weeks and done , or some other way to tell if it’s ready ? Ballon deflates, maybe ?
          The yeast will stop working, ie making bubbles. easy as pie man, and stupid simple and cheap. Its a ton of fun with friends.

Comment

I do not like wine and want to try this!

Comment

When I was a freshman in High School (1974), our chemistry teacher taught us how to make alcohol (wine). So, I did.
              Grape juice, yeast, sugar, water, 5 gallon Oasis bottle.
              Bottled it in glass 32oz Dr. Pepper bottles with the screw on lid.
              Fast forward to senior year. We had the same teacher for Physics. There were 10 of us in the class.
              Last day of school before Christmas break we had a Christmas party in class before lunch.
              Everyone brought something for lunch. I brought the drinks...
              We had a plate ready for her when she got to class.
              She took a bite of sandwich, bite of cookie, sip from the Dixie cup...
              She stood up and almost shouted "What's the meaning of this?"
              I told her "Remember when you taught us how to make wine when we were freshmen? Well, this is it!"
              She sat down, shook her head, and said,"Well then, I guess it's an experiment and it's OK."
              We all got pretty trashed. It was a different time back then.
              She was the best teacher I ever had. I didn't have to crack a book for chemistry at UT, and barely for physics.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                I've been wanting to make some wine here lately but with all these folks making bread at home all of the yeast has been bought up. I made a score today at wally world and finally snagged me some. The ratio is for 32 ounces of 100 percent juice you add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. I like to pour the jug of juice into a large pitcher first then disolve the sugar. I then funnel it back into the jug and add the yeast so it gets close to the right amount. I keep an extra jug or wine bottle handy to add the excess liquid to, then add yeast to that bottle. Give the jugs a good shake and either slightly crack the cap or put a balloon on it. the baloon may need to be burped in a couple days. The wine will be ready in a few weeks and then will have to be racked, or siphoned out of the jug because of waste left behind from the yeast. Its rrady to drink at that point.

I also have a gallon bag of frozen dew berries i picked on my fence last week I will be making some winenout of very soon. Hope yall can enjoy this with some friends and family

If you poke a couple holes in the balloon with a needle it will self burp and when the balloon deflates, the yeast is done. Did a gallon of this, as well as a gallon of just sugar and water with yeast in my dads attic in high school. Tasted like a loaf of wonderbread. Had a couple drinks of it and thought, “There’s got to be at least a little alcohol in this.” Fast forward 1 hour and I was looking for the highway Braille walking down the hallway to the bathroom to yak. Stuff comes out strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
                  If you poke a couple holes in the balloon with a needle it will self burp and when the balloon deflates, the yeast is done. Did a gallon of this, as well as a gallon of just sugar and water with yeast in my dads attic in high school. Tasted like a loaf of wonderbread. Had a couple drinks of it and thought, “There’s got to be at least a little alcohol in this.” Fast forward 1 hour and I was looking for the highway Braille walking down the hallway to the bathroom to yak. Stuff comes out strong.
                  I was actually thinking about taking the balloons off and just putting the cap back on but leave is slightly cracked so the air can escape. My wife sent me a picture of the bottles this morning and the grape juice is working overtime, I just can't have it blowing up in the closet.

Comment

here is what is happening so far.

Comment

Can you tell us more about the dewberry wine process? Thanks for sharing!

Comment

What kind of yeast are you using? You might want to buy a wine yeast. A baking or beer yeast is probably going to die before all the fermentable sugar is consumed, ie lower alcohol content. Just a thought. I used to homebrew in my drinking days and remember something to that effect.
                        Last edited by Graysonhogs; 05-18-2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Interesting

Comment

What type of 100% juices did you use?

Comment

We made watermelon wine back in the day in 2 liter bottles.

Comment

Working...
                              X