Texas Veterans Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Veterans Outdoors

Disclaimer: This post was approved by the mods.

Me and a couple of friends that are vets decided to start a veterans outreach organization called Texas Veterans Outdoors. TVO is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and empowering the veteran community by building camaraderie and fellowship through participation in various outdoor activities. We do not have a staff on payroll, so every event, equipment, etc is 100% donated or acquired through donations.

Here's some areas where vets/volunteers can get involved:

Community Involvement:

​•Food Bank preparation/sorting
    •Neighborhood Enhancement
    •Public Appearances/Speaking
    •Land/Ranch Management
    •Parks Cleanup
    •Hospital Visitation of Vets
    •Big Brother/Big Sister Mentor
    •Provide Free Nutrition Awareness

Recreational Outreach:

•Camping in State/National Parks
    •Hiking & Kayak Trips
    •Local Adult Sports Leagues
    •Participate in Holiday Parades
    •BBQ Cooking Competitions
    •Motorcycle Runs
    •Auto Shows
    •Hunting / Fishing

Entertainment/Family Events

​•Theme Parks
    •Sporting Events
    •Concerts
    •Museum Tours
    •Road Trips for Food!!!
    •Weekend Getaways / City Pass
    •Range Days
    •Hunter's Ed / CHL Courses

Membership is free, but vets are screened to ensure they are actually vets. With stolen valor on the rise, it's important that the resources we're providing is actually going to veterans.

Check out our website at https://www.texasveteransoutdoors.org/ and our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TexasVeteransOutdoors/ if you would like to give back, join, and for upcoming events!

Just got you on face book. This is a great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
      Just got you on face book. This is a great idea!

Thanks brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump.
        Awesome idea. Well played sir's.

Comment

I saw something similar the other day. Going to share yours with my brother in law who is in law enforcement and a vet. They help set up/run the Wounded Warriors Project out in the hill country.

Comment

God Bless you Leon!! Jewels right there brother, Jewels indeed! This is the kind of thing that gives me hope for our country... Lot of good people out there... just hard to hear about 'em sometime in today's world of news media and social media... It is a good thing you are doing!

Comment

Saw you share this on Facebook a week ago or so. Let me know if yall need volunteers or anything I can help or donate with pretty well versed in the fishing area and have helped a few times with another organization called heroes on the water that gets vets out kayak fishing.

Comment

God bless you for your present work, and your past service.

I'm a Vietnam vet, and I have been blessed to have been able to hunt and fish over the years.
                So many now need to have the opportunity, and the healing that comes from fellowship and enjoying the outdoors with others.

Comment

I'm in the area and if you need any help or volunteering let me know! I would be glad to help! being a vet I feel like I got the better end of the stick than most and I willing to pay forward my time.

Comment

Very cool deal.

Comment

Texas Veterans Outdoors

Thanks for the kind words, fellers. Texas has a very large number of vets, many of whom aren't as fortunate as others. To many, they never left the battlefield, carry wounds (physical and mental) as a daily reminder.
                      We're just trying to connect with as many as we can. All vets. The brother and sisterhood carries on long after you take that uniform off.

For people who wanna volunteer, there's a place on our website where can can join and help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are events going to be mainly around DFW?

DJ

Comment

Re: DFW area only?

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                          Are events going to be mainly around DFW?

DJ
                          Thanks for the interest DJM. No sir, this is a statewide organization. As more people step forward and request to be a community leader in their city you will be able to see things happening all over the state with Veterans. Errik Gregg from Team Hobie is our representative in the Corpus area, and he has events in the pipeline for Kayak fishing in his back yard there.

Already scheduled that is out of the DFW area is an Astros game this evening, we have Vet Fest 2017 going down in Austin in November, WWII Bomber rides taking place in Hutto, Quail hunt near San Antonio, and this is just a few items outside of the DFW area.

In January Kendall Jones is scheduled to host one of our Veterans for a celebrity hunt as well.

I appreciate the staff here at TBH for allowing Leon to be allowed to spread the word here and give Veterans the opportunity to unite with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by 2014FusionM View Post
                            I'm in the area and if you need any help or volunteering let me know! I would be glad to help! being a vet I feel like I got the better end of the stick than most and I willing to pay forward my time.

This Saturday if you would like to do an interview to talk about being a Veteran and how the outdoors has helped your life, you are welcome to be apart of video production. The video will be broadcasted on various media outlets throughout Veterans Day.

The production shoot will happen in McKinney if you’re interested let me know.

Sent from my Texas Veterans phone

Comment

As a Vet, I am proud to see Texas takes care of our Vets better than any other state I have lived in. Salute for what you are doing for fellow Vets

Comment

Working...
                              X