Need help choosing a release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help choosing a release

I have shot with a wrist release on my previous bows and my accuracy seems to fluctuate more than I like. I was wondering if a 3-4 finger release might help my consistency since that is all you see the 3D shooters use. Is there any proof that a 3-4 finger release is better than a wrist release for consistency or is it more likely my form is the issue?

Form has a lot to do with your accuracy along with tuned equipment, but I switched from a wrist release a few years back to a 4 finger release for hunting and will not switch back. Try some at a local shop and pick the one YOU like!

Comment

Mostly likely it's your form, and lack of proper back tension. Many people find it easier to use back tension by switching to a hand held, but be careful with 4 finger releases- they tend to provide too much leverage. Most people I know use a 3 finger, and I use a 2 finger. If you start with a four finger, you may learn to avoid the leverage issue if you get proper instruction for the first few time you use it.

Comment

I switched to a scott hex release and it made a big improvement in my shooting. It makes you slow down and focus on the shot

Comment

It isn't the form more than likely, it is your target panic. If you have bad form/alignment then no release will help that. I bought Joel Turner's Ironmind program and it has been a game changer. For both trad and compound, I also just bought a Carter RX1. By far the best release I have ever used. Had to get finger wrapped around at second knuckle and put the heaviest spring in order to get back tension and a surprise release. Check out John Dudley on YouTube, lots of good info too.

Comment

The "proof" is that almost all the top shooters use some kind of back tension or hinge release. Even an index finger release can be fired by back tension, but it is much more difficult to accomplish than using a release designed for back tension.

As others have said, the number of fingers is a personal choice, from 2 fingers to 4 fingers.

A pure back tension release like the Silverback use tension to fire, IOW, there is no trigger for a finger to activate; just pull through the shot. Probably the most honest release aid there is.

Thumb activated releases, or button release aids, use a thumb trigger and can be set to fire very similar to the true back tension release aids, although it takes some fine tuning and practice.

A hinge is a release aid that needs to rotate to fire, this is accomplished by any number of firing engines; but there must be some degree of rotation for it to fire.

The HBX is a new style of release that can also be fired multiple ways, this is my favorite release aid as I can pull through the shot like a pure tension release. The HBX feels better to me than the pure tension release aids.

I would start with either the Silverback (pure tension) release or an HBX release and a good coach for a few hours. But really you can start with any release and a good coach and get up to speed pretty quickly.

Just don't give up, give the release a good run before you decide if it is right for you or not. DO NOT use the index finger release during the retraining.

A back tension type release aid will make you more consistent.

I have coached people that learned a back tension in a few hundred shots and others take a couple thousand, each archer is different. Be honest with yourself and listen to your coach and it will make a big difference in your shooting.

Comment

Form and equipment will play a vital role in accuracy. When I started shooting bows years ago, I had a simple PSE 3 pin sight without a level. My shots were inconsistent and I was unable to keep a tight group. I upgraded to a HHA Optimizer Ultra and with the help of a good friend (you can read his blog here: http://socalbowhunter.blogspot.com/) I began to shoot accurately, stay more consistent while working on my form and anchor points. Soon, I was able to shoot and hit the Rinehart RFT (strapped to a hay bale) from 80 yards with arrows touching.

As far as release, I'd switched to a Truball thumb release last season (3 finger) and have not looked back. I hated having a release around my wrist when hunting and often feels like it gets in the way. Plus, the release is ultra sensitive - just gotta be careful with that until you get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                The "proof" is that almost all the top shooters use some kind of back tension or hinge release. Even an index finger release can be fired by back tension, but it is much more difficult to accomplish than using a release designed for back tension.

As others have said, the number of fingers is a personal choice, from 2 fingers to 4 fingers.

A pure back tension release like the Silverback use tension to fire, IOW, there is no trigger for a finger to activate; just pull through the shot. Probably the most honest release aid there is.

Thumb activated releases, or button release aids, use a thumb trigger and can be set to fire very similar to the true back tension release aids, although it takes some fine tuning and practice.

A hinge is a release aid that needs to rotate to fire, this is accomplished by any number of firing engines; but there must be some degree of rotation for it to fire.

The HBX is a new style of release that can also be fired multiple ways, this is my favorite release aid as I can pull through the shot like a pure tension release. The HBX feels better to me than the pure tension release aids.

I would start with either the Silverback (pure tension) release or an HBX release and a good coach for a few hours. But really you can start with any release and a good coach and get up to speed pretty quickly.

Just don't give up, give the release a good run before you decide if it is right for you or not. DO NOT use the index finger release during the retraining.

A back tension type release aid will make you more consistent.

I have coached people that learned a back tension in a few hundred shots and others take a couple thousand, each archer is different. Be honest with yourself and listen to your coach and it will make a big difference in your shooting.
                Pretty much took the words right out of my mind.

The one recommendation I have is that my Carter Wise Choice has been a great thumb button release. That being said, a true tension activated release like the evolution is going to teach you how to shoot with back tension faster than any other release. The Silverback that Rat is referring to is a Nock On limited edition trigger that is usually sold out within a few hours of a batch being released. It is a lot like the carter evolution, but is a two finger model.

Comment

Get you the Levi Morgan release for sale in the classifieds and see if that helps you

Comment

Everything has already been covered and with great advice. All I can add is to think about what you want to do and how much time/money you are willing to put into it. Meaning if you are just going to be shooting animals at 20-30 yards, not any 3D or competition then I would suggest just sticking with a wrist strap release. My advice would be one of the Carter's. They can help your accuracy a lot. Get some basics down and stay consistent.

If you really want to go all in then go with hinge or tension release. Plus you will probably want to get a thumb release for hunting.
                    I have the Silverback and Nock 2 It. It has helped me a ton, but it takes a lot of practice, watching videos and lessons definitely help.
                    I am able to fire my Nock 2 It by back tension, but it is only because I have the Silverback and have shot it so much. I just wasn't disciplined enough to wait on the Nock 2 It to fire and would "punch" the trigger a lot of times when I first started.

Personally, I am glad I made the change and enjoy shooting A LOT more.

Comment

Working...
                    X