Electricity for small cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mastro View Post
    Very nice. Did you buy that pigtail or make it?

You can buy the connection, RV Male Outlet, at Home Depot, then just wire it up. Something like this. There are several options / manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
      You can buy the connection, RV Male Outlet, at Home Depot, then just wire it up. Something like this. There are several options / manufacturers.

https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-691...ale+receptacle
      Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
        Also, you mentioned a window unit and a tank less water heater. Are these 120 volt, and have you verified the load requirements?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
        I'll bet that the water heater is 220. You won't be able to get away with plugging into one of the 30 amp plugs if this is the case. Those are only 110. Having an extension plugged in with another male end exposed would make me very nervous also.

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
          I'll bet that the water heater is 220. You won't be able to get away with plugging into one of the 30 amp plugs if this is the case. Those are only 110. Having an extension plugged in with another male end exposed would make me very nervous also.
          Yes sir. That's why I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
            Yes sir. That's why I asked.

Yes sir. I would suggest that the OP run conduit and hook up a small subpanel on the cabin. Probably wouldn't cost any more than his plan, but much safer.

Comment

That's kinda where I was going with that question, but there shouldn't be a safety issue with the extension cord I recommended.

If this is a permanent location, I would definitely run a conduit. But I don't know his situation. It may just be at his lease, and he will plug it in while he's there like a RV.

Comment

10-4, the water heater is a consideration. I only had some 110v stuff in my trailer. Lights, fans, outlets, a window unit a/c, and a couple of small appliances. I don't have that much.

Comment

The water heater will be something like this. Plugs into standard wall outlet.

Comment

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-7-gal...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
                    Haven't seen those before. Interesting. Itll be possible, but I'd add all your amps that you might pull and make sure 30 AMPs is enough. The heater will probably be highest pull at 12 amps.

Comment

Avoid the cord with two male ends. Also plan to roll up the cord when you aren't there or the weather and UV are going to decrease its life expectancy quick. You could do conduit or direct burial if you buy the right wire and want it to be a semi permanent solution.

Good luck!

Comment

I had the same choice when I put a cabin (10 x 20 Lofted Barn) on my Land. Already had RV Plugs but decided on a breaker box mounted to the outside of the cabin (Paid a little extra) and got an Electrician to Wire it from the Pole to the Cabin... Much safer way unless you wire your cabin like it was an RV.

Comment

I am not certified electrician so take it for what its worth but I would install an outdoor plug that would take the RV cord. I would have that tied into a small exterior or interior breaker box to control the current to my interior outlets.

Comment

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-7-gal...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
                            Any updates?

Comment

Working...
                            X