Stump shooting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stump shooting.

Is it just me or are some of you better at stump shooting then target shooting? I'm finding myself being more accurate taking a walk in the woods shooting and hitting stuff (that I'm aiming at than standing in front of a target and plucking away. It's much more stimulating and the distances are unknown at least until I step it off to retrieve an arrow. I find myself making many more errant shots when shooting at a flat target? Are there others out there that have the same experience?

My wife and I went stump shooting last week and it was the most enjoyable shooting we have done. We where accurate at it too I think because it was natural and relaxing. We went out and brought a ball target so we could walk in the woods and toss the ball and shoot. We loved the fact that you don't know how far it is or don't really care. Just shoot and enjoy the day in the woods.

Comment

I shoot at a 3d deer target probably 3 times better than I can shoot a flat paper target. Idk why, just happens. My groups are consistently smaller at 3d targets.

Comment

Now if I could just get my wife to start shooting. Lucky guy!

Comment

KParker you are right around the corner from me. We should hook up and shoot sometime.

Comment

What kind of tips do y'all use when stump shooting?

Comment

I was just using field points.

Comment

it did not destroy your arrows

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrad View Post
                  Is it just me or are some of you better at stump shooting then target shooting? I'm finding myself being more accurate taking a walk in the woods shooting and hitting stuff (that I'm aiming at than standing in front of a target and plucking away. It's much more stimulating and the distances are unknown at least until I step it off to retrieve an arrow. I find myself making many more errant shots when shooting at a flat target? Are there others out there that have the same experience?
                  Yes, stump shooting was one of my tool of teaching my self as far as judging distance. I have used these methods when I started shooting 3d tournaments, & back then aluminum arrows was cheap. If you think stump shooting is helping you improve your shooting skills and hitting where you aim? then I suggest you keep doing so, it will just sharpen your ability of how to judge distance & It just means, your brain is telling your muscles how to react to your form of shooting. Good job, & keep flinging D arrow.
                  Last edited by d arrow; 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Made up some arrows GT 5575 with aluminum footing to keep the arrows from breaking if shooting at wood. But you can shoot at leaves on a tree or a clump of grass or a twig and your arrows will be fine.

Comment

Well I would shoot things like rotten wood etc not necessarily stumps. I found some trash to shoot at, I brought along a nerf football to throw out there to shoot as well.

Comment

Yes, kickin & shootin your target around is also one of the great tools you can use.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                          I shoot at a 3d deer target probably 3 times better than I can shoot a flat paper target. Idk why, just happens. My groups are consistently smaller at 3d targets.
                          This is how it works for me as well.

Comment

Glad to hear I'm not alone. Thanks for the encouragement D Arrow.

Comment

I like stump shooting, but my arrows don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X