My Surprise Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Surprise Buck

I got on a new lease this year in Shackelford County. Honestly with family and work I have had very little time to spend out there. Luckily a good buddy scouted me a good location and set up a feeder for me in August. I got my Krivoman blind set up in September and a trail cam running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9132 (768x1024).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	25071589

I hunted one evening on the way home from a work road trip in early October and saw a few does and young bucks. My trail camera showed the same. A few pigs, does and baby bucks.

Yesterday I had the same plan, stopping on the way home from working in Abilene. I walked in about 3:30 and bumped two does from my feeder. I pulled my camera card and got in the blind. Wind was perfect and I proceeded to go through 3500 trail cam pics. I had a lot of nothing pics, but also regular visits from pigs and does and little bucks.

As I was mindlessly thumbing through the pics killing time I was shocked to see this on 10/25.

Name:	PRMS1564.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	25071588

Name:	PRMS1565.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	25071587

Some of my lease mates had a big 10 on camera I had heard, but hadn't seen pics yet. He showed up at my blind 3-4 times between 10/25 and yesterday but only in the dark.

I sat all evening and saw nothing. I was about at the end the hunt stage and I looked up to see him walking in. I was shocked! He got broadside and I ranged him at 23 yards. I drew back, settled the pin low and my wasp jakhammer smashed him. He ran off looking like he would crash and then regained his stride and ran out of sight. I heard him smack a tree and all was quiet.

I grabbed my video camera to replay the shot and was saddened to see I was so shook up by him I never turned it on.

I sat shaking and honestly freaking out for 30 minutes until I went to find my arrow.

Name:	IMG_9372 (1024x768).jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	25071593

The arrow looked good so I walked to the place I thought he smashed a tree and found him like this in a small wet weather creek about 50 yards away.

Name:	IMG_9374 (768x1024).jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	25071591

My biggest buck to date and one I had no idea was around until I looked at pics in the blind before he came in. To say I am blessed is an understatement. Lawbu and I "rough" and I mean rough scored him at 150 1/8. He is a main frame 10 with only little 1.5 inch tine on his right side. I will let an official scorer tell me his real gross score. As Chance Love says, Nets are for fish. I am pumped beyond belief and can't believe how it came together.

Name:	IMG_9427.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	25071592

Name:	FullSizeRender (1024x659) (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	25071590

By the way Chance, I will be coming to see you soon.

What a surprise. Congratulations.

Comment

Love those brows! Congrats on the buck

Comment

whata stud! congrats

Comment

Nice, Congrats!

Comment

Awesome buck!

Comment

great buck.

Comment

NICE. Congratulations.

Comment

Sweet buck! congrats!

Comment

beautiful buck! nice shot as well

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

Awesome buck!!!! This gives me hope for this weekend. So far we have had the same on camera, little bucks, does, and tons of pigs.

Comment

Awesome! Nice shot!

Comment

Awesome! Surprises are a good thing.

Comment

That is a beast, Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X