I think it's time to drop weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's time to drop weight

I've been really struggling lately with consistency after about 20 shots. I measured my two longbows today at my draw and one was 52@30 the other 57@30. I shoot daily but still not building up enough strength after 4 years to shoot a 30 or 50 target shoot after warming up without tanking.

I worry about dropping down too low as to be effective with wood arrows which I have to shoot at 31" long. Before I sell off my bows and buy lower what do yall think any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Only you can make that call.

I might suggest however, most competitions give you a pretty good break between shots.

I can wear myself down pretty quick when shooting one arrow right after the other here at home, but competitions never make me tired from shooting. It's the walking that gets me anymore.

Just food for thought.

Rick

Comment

It's weird some days I can shoot all day some days I can't shoot twenty arrows. I had my neck fused 5 years ago and I wonder if it's a nerve thing. I used to shoot 60# pretty well and since 40 is the new 20 I can't imagine it's age.

Do any of yall shoot a lighter weight for 3d and then heavier for hunting? Do you find the switch to be difficult?

Comment

Take some co q 10 supplement. Helps me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I find switching from lighter to heavier difficult. I shoot what I feel is the heaviest weight that I can shoot consistently, under most any conditions. For me, that weight is 50# at my 29" DL. I have had no problems making clean kill shots on many different critters with that setup.

Bisch

Comment

I'm with Bisch. I don't like switching back & forth between bows, or draw weights.
            I just shoot my hunting rig, and be happy with it.

Rick

Comment

Gary I'll give that a try thank you

Comment

I guess I am the odd one. If you want to be stronger, lift weights. I shoot all weights from 25 -65 right and left depending on how sore or tired I am.

I'd suggest getting a couple of cheap light bows and when you get tired just move to those. Cheap bows are fun. You do not have to sell your current bows.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                  Only you can make that call.

I might suggest however, most competitions give you a pretty good break between shots.

I can wear myself down pretty quick when shooting one arrow right after the other here at home, but competitions never make me tired from shooting. It's the walking that gets me anymore.

Just food for thought.

Rick
                  This right here. Nothing wrong with going lower.... but a 3D shoot never wears out my arm like a practice session or shooting with the guys. Too much time between shots.

My opinion is that you lose consistency because you lose mental focus after a while... start overthinking or thinking about other things.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Why is that? I try to slow down in practice but it isn't easy. I will even shoot around working the grill for dinner to put time between rounds.

And stone, I don't know how old you are but as we age we lose some muscle mass. So it can bring us down some.

Comment

The other question I have is how long does it take to toughen your fingers so you can shoot a hundred arrows daily? I feel like a pansy when I have to take a day off after a heavy shooting day.

Comment

When I really have the time, and get into a home practice session, it's not uncommon for me to wear myself down. I just love to watch the arrows fly, and will empty my quiver over & over quickly.

I'll often start out working on something in my shooting, but soon my mind will wander to other things, and I will start doing silly shot stuff just for the fun of it.

I've found, that a serious practice session works best for me if I limit it to just a few arrows, like 5 or 6, then stop for an hour or two, then since & repeat.

Rick

Comment

Shooting 1 arrow, walking the 15 to 20 yards to pull the arrow and walking back helps alot. It lets the tension in my arms subside. It lets me think about the shot. It lets me forget the shot (no stray arrow to distract me.)

I walk on average a half mile doing this and getting in 30 shots.

I almost never shoot back to back arrows except warming up at a shoot (logistics don't let me pull single shots)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree Rick. Multiple, shorter, practice sessions in a day seem to be more effective for me.

Comment

I have been shooting since I was 16 and I'm 46 now. Strength training works at any age. I also practice with one arrow no matter what weight I am shooting. Three years ago I struggled shooting 47 lbs. I dropped from 56# bows to 30# at best and was having serious shoulder issues. I sat at a computer all day and I was frustrated and discouraged. Now I can shoot all day long and hold as long as I want. I upped my fitness level. I swim, run, lift and shoot a lot. If I am feeling bad or run down one day, I just shoot my light bow and it's all good. There are no shortcuts. How bad do you want it?

Comment

Working...
                              X