Mad Island WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Island WMA

Anybody here duck hunt Mad Island and see any deer there? My kids got drawn for the buck hunt there in October. I plan on going down in Teal season and trying to scout it. Any help or direction to start would be appreciated. Thanks

Killed a gator and several hogs there on hunts. I've seen some good quality bucks, one in the solid high 120's-low 130's range. I killed 4 hogs in one evening sit and the buck came out to eat in amongst the dead hogs...y'all will have a blast. The lead guy down there, Lang, if I remember right is Hunter oriented so it makes for an enjoyable hunt.

Comment

There are some deer there. More hogs though so your kids should have plenty of targets to shoot at. I'd recommend not passing on the hogs waiting for deer. Big item.... bring as many thermocells as you can carry. When the sun starts to set, the mosquitos will carry you away especially early in the season.

Comment

You won't really be able to scout there. The duck hunts are in assigned spots. You get to pick in the order you show up. They are very strict on you drive to your spot and straight back after hunting.

Comment

I've seen tons of pig tracks anywhere there is cover. Never seen a deer on the area exactly but anywhere with brush will have them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Looking forward to a good hunt.

Comment

I've hunted this one

Be prepared for shots that are farther out than you may be accustomed to

My longest deer kill occurred here

300 yds

I'd expect shots at 150-200 yds

A good pair of binoculars work well so you see exactly what you are shooting at

And

Snake protection

I saw more rattlesnakes on that island than anywhere I've ever hunted

Good luck

It's an awesome hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=512robby;12644141]I've hunted this one

Be prepared for shots that are farther out than you may be accustomed to

My longest deer kill occurred here

300 yds

I'd expect shots at 150-200 yds

A good pair of binoculars work well so you see exactly what you are shooting at

And

Snake protection

I saw more rattlesnakes on that island than anywhere I've ever hunted

Good luck

It's an awesome hunt

Great advice! Thanks a million!

Comment

Duck hunt there every year. I live in matagorda county and usually see deer when driving out after the duck hunts. Billions of mosquitoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Forgot to add to my previous post. I think this would be a good youth hunt as there are already established box/tower blinds that will make the hunt more enjoyable for your younguns. I hog hunted there 2 years ago and they prebaited the blinds so the animals would be used to coming in prior to the scheduled hunts. I have hunted many, many TPWD draw hunts and Mad Island by far has the best group of employees and volunteers geared toward catering to the hunters. I have been on a few hunts where the staff have treated the hunters like a mandantory nuisance. As far as mosquitoes, the only place that rivals Mad Island is Richland Chambers. Evening time you can hear the swarms coming in...be prepared for that. A good bug suit, permethrin and thermacell should keep most of them at bay.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do you remember which blind # you hunted or how many blinds they have? I read everyone loud and clear about the Mosquitoes!

Comment

They have a ton of blinds but I'm sure only a handful are good for deer. If I remember correct those were on the perimeter of the WMA that borders private land with terrain/trees conducive to deer habitat. Y'all will have a fun hunt.

Comment

Working...
                        X