No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After your taters get a good size top on 'em, cover them about 2/3 up. this will allow more tater production... Kinda the opposite you do for onions...

Comment

Thank you... SaltwaterSlick

Comment

My garden was planted on the second. Last night I had two little zucchini sprouts. Pepper and tomato plants got bit a little from the frost last weekend but appear to be holding their own.

Comment

Black diamond watermelon on the left bank
          Purple hull peas in the between the cups
          Crimson watermelon (burpee seeds) on right bank of cups

Want to plant these in Cass county this weekend but it's supposed to dip to 35 Saturday/Sunday so I'll wait

Cold kills melons

I'm also looking for sweet corn seeds

I started germing the watermelon on Sunday then the hull peas on Monday

Comment

Saw this over on 2Cool and thought it fit this group pretty well!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	funny-seattle-gas-station-sign-wallingford-13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	24535896

Then someone posted a pic of a string of very small piglets as a meme that said, "bacon seed"...

I'd post that pic, but you know how "the boss" is about meme's...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Saw this over on 2Cool and thought it fit this group pretty well!!

[ATTACH]904395[/ATTACH]

Then someone posted a pic of a string of very small piglets as a meme that said, "bacon seed"...

I'd post that pic, but you know how "the boss" is about meme's...

Reminds me of this sign I saw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone growing any grapes??? Been wanting to grow some but never have. Any tips?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

Anybody ever double dug their garden beds? I’m thinking of doing it any time I add a bed to the garden. I am almost exclusively no till from that point on, but have a very heavy clay layer between 6 and 10 inches down that turns the garden beds into a swamp for a couple days after a heavy rain.

Comment

Originally posted by gpena View Post
                    Anyone growing any grapes??? Been wanting to grow some but never have. Any tips?

I have a 6 yr old blanc du Bois... it's a vigorous grower drought tolerant and Pierce's disease resistant but I've had a problem with black rot and the grapes I've had that didn't shrivel up were pretty bitter with lots of seeds so I wouldn't get this variety...

You have to get a pruning method down and the way you want it to grow.... you cut them all the way back, except for a few lead Vines, every year around Valentine's...

You won't produce grapes till 2nd year but I was told to cut all of those off and you won't Harvest till 3rd year... I have yet to actually Harvest any because of my black rot ..was planning on making some wine out of it.
                    If mine has a problem again this year I'll probably dig it up and put it different location where it can grow more Wild.

Interesting fact about grapes most of them are muscadine grape rootstock and they graph whatever variety they want on top ..not sure exactly what that means I guess some sort of plant weld ..but they do this due to some sort of disease muscadine is resistant to.
                    I have not fact-check this but was told by the main grape guy at Natural Gardener

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                      I have a 6 yr old blanc du Bois... it's a vigorous grower drought tolerant and Pierce's disease resistant but I've had a problem with black rot and the grapes I've had that didn't shrivel up were pretty bitter with lots of seeds so I wouldn't get this variety...

You have to get a pruning method down and the way you want it to grow.... you cut them all the way back, except for a few lead Vines, every year around Valentine's...

You won't produce grapes till 2nd year but I was told to cut all of those off and you won't Harvest till 3rd year... I have yet to actually Harvest any because of my black rot ..was planning on making some wine out of it.
                      If mine has a problem again this year I'll probably dig it up and put it different location where it can grow more Wild.

Interesting fact about grapes most of them are muscadine grape rootstock and they graph whatever variety they want on top ..not sure exactly what that means I guess some sort of plant weld ..but they do this due to some sort of disease muscadine is resistant to.
                      I have not fact-check this but was told by the main grape guy at Natural Gardener

Great info, I saw a couple vines for sale at the local nursery an thoughg id give it a shot. Gonna pick them up this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by gpena View Post
                        Great info, I saw a couple vines for sale at the local nursery an thoughg id give it a shot. Gonna pick them up this weekend

You may want to see what grows good in your area...A lot of the box stores sale generic varieties that won't do well...you don't want to wait 3 years to find out your grape is no good for your soil/area

Comment

Well this is our first garden at the new house and so far so good. It’s rather large 30x30ish with an additional area just for water Mellon.

I have no idea what I’m doing just winging it.

As of now we have:
                          Tomatoes (cherry and beefsteak)
                          Onions
                          Radishes
                          Green beans
                          Spinach
                          Leaf lettuce
                          Cucumber
                          Squash
                          Zucchini
                          Kale
                          Jalapeño
                          Serrano
                          Bell pepper
                          Okra
                          Watermelon
                          Carrots
                          And a small herb garden with your basics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	24535937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	24535938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	24535939

Comment

My experiment from last season is working out pretty well. At the end of the season I stopped picking tomatoes and so far I have enough plants up that I was able to cull out to the best looking 6. From where they're growing I'm thinking its the Black Krimm and a couple Cherokee Purple. Also have what should be cantaloupe coming in pretty good from our compost that I mixed in back in Feb.

The last broccoli plant I have going is getting huge but not producing any head so not sure whats going on there.

Wife's lemon tree has recently started getting a bunch of yellow leafs so trying to figure out what that is and how to fix it. It is already covered up with its 2nd round of buds.

Comment

Why are all y'alls gardens weed free and mine is covered with them? SMH

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                                Why are all y'alls gardens weed free and mine is covered with them? SMH

Hoggslayer
                                I just run my tiller down the rows as they come up has helped a lot. Try not to let the get a good root system and they seem to stay at bay.

Comment

Working...
                                X