Alfalfa Hay Bale Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stick-Launcher View Post
    Casey - Have you set up your hay feeder yet? I just put mine out this weekend in E. TX and was wondering what kind of results you were having... Let me know!
    I haven't put mine out yet, will be next weekend

Comment

Nice build CB...

Agreed on breaking it up to but it in. It's a little messier but worth it. #1 there is no wasted space on the sides and #2 the deer eat it better it seems like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_38501.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	24390693

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0152.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	24390694

Comment

Here's the one I built, I wish I would have extended the basket down lower.

Comment

Gonna be hard to get deer started on alfalfa this year in most areas until later in summer or in winter. From my experience when its super green they dont tend to hit the dry stuff as much unless they are already eating it well.

Comment

That's fine with me. It's there if they need it and protected from the elements.

Comment

I finally checked my camera. Here are the results of mine... It took them about a month to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick-Launcher View Post
                I finally checked my camera. Here are the results of mine... It took them about a month to find it.

https://youtu.be/1McdGXq-gM0

Cool video!....That one was sure spooky after being out there for that long and any scent from you faded..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Cool video!....That one was sure spooky after being out there for that long and any scent from you faded..
                  He came back 6 minutes later, but he never would eat directly out of the feeder. He would just eat what dropped out on the ground from the 6 point eating. I am encouraged that he came back. He was skittish about eating out of it though. I guess I'll see when I go back in a couple of weeks to check it again.

Comment

How did this type of alfalfa feeder work out for you guys?

Comment

Curious too

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                        How did this type of alfalfa feeder work out for you guys?
                        Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                        Curious too
                        It worked very well. If you have Axis or Deer that really eat the Alfalfa. If they just pick at it ut can get rather dry. Right now, I just throw is on the ground and the deer & Axis will eat a bale in 2 days

Comment

The deer did just fine with my hay feeder this year also. Actually, they hit it harder this year than they have in the last 2 years. Bales were lasting as long as 5-7 days! I do not break it up and just stick the whole bale in the barrel. (I don't even pull the bale wire out!) If it was loose, they'd kill it in less than 2 days!

I made my barrel with a smaller leg diameter so that I can push it over on its side, pull the lid, slide the bale inside, then stand it back up. All with one person and my feet never leave the ground. My back thanks me for that!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting, future project!

Comment

This is a older picture, but the Axis had no problems eating out of it
                              Attached Files

Comment

I need to make me one of those!

Comment

Working...
                                X