New to archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to archery

I am looking at buying a bow soon. I have never hunted with one and look to do so next season. I have a few questions: 1) should i wait until after deer season to make my purchase, in hopes of a better deal; 2) what would be a reasonable sum to spend in buying/setting up a bow for a newcomer? 3) what would be some recommendations on bows I should look into? I am wanting to buy a bow that I will not be dissatisfied with as I develop my shooting, (basically want to buy something i will be pleased with several years down the road).

I forgot to mention I am not as worried with the monetary concerns as I am with getting a quality bow.

Comment

well i've been shooting a parker for several years,and i've always heard martin has pretty good bows for a decent price. As far as all the accessories for the bow sights,stabilizer,arrow rest you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get good quality equipment. I shoot a tuffy hunter rest it seems to work just fine and it's around 40 bucks or so,as far as sights i would at least spend around 50 -70 dollarsd on them cause it's all about the fiber optics to me cabelas has some good cobra sights for that price, and last for you man i would shoot either a string loop or ultra knoc i've tried shooting off the string in the past and it seemed that i wasn't as accurate hope i helped u out theres nothing like bow hunting and some people will never ever do it and that's sad. check out my buddies first bow buck if he doesn't get you pumped for bowhunting nothing will it's first deer ever actually lucky sumbeech

Comment

I shoot a Martin "PHANTOM II" and I like it alot. My suggestion would be to go to a Archery Shop and see if they will let you shoot some different bows to determine which bow you like. A big Welcome to the fire.

Comment

really there is no bad bow i have gone through many bows in my time they are all good. ive shot bowtech, hoyt, elite, whisper creek, golden eagle. i would have to say that my Elite has got to be by far my best shooter.

Comment

Im in the spring area, "the bow zone" is probably the closest dealer to me. Are they reasonable, or should I visit somewhere else in the houston area.

Comment

if you are looking for the best bow for the money,MARTIN.
              David's in Weatherford is the place. He will set you up,and answer eny question.He helped me 15 years ago and i credit him with my 3 pope @ young.

Comment

were are you located at.. maybe someone can reccomend a good shop for you to look at, and yes i would wait till after season if your looking to snag a good used one, there should be some deals available then... but talk to a lot of people before you buy, and the previous advice about martins is true, greta bows at some of the best prices around, superior service, not that you would ever need it but that cant be said about all companies

Comment

Welcome - strap in, sit back and enjoy...

Shoot as many as you can and let the bow pick you. What might be right for one person might not be right for you. There are several very good bows on the market. My 2 cents spend it wisely.......lol

Comment

Welcome to a great sport and welcome to TBH! You've made a good decision already by coming here for help getting started.
                    I'll relate a personal experience and maybe it'll help. I was in the same situation you are in 6 years ago. I went to an area archery shop and they put me into an "entry level" bow....it was a PSE Bruin. I "saved" basically $300 by settling on this bow. I had never shot a bow before so I was at square one of the learning curve. I liked the bow and practiced like crazy until I was what I considered a pretty good shot. Fast forward to opening day of the mule deer season in New Mexico. He walks out and I take aim and let loose.....I can remember the sound it made to this day....it was loud! The buck "jumped the string" and I hit him but it was a good foot back of where I aimed. I remember watching the arrow fly and seeing the buck jump.....it was like in slo-mo. We trailed him down the mountain and recovered him but I knew full well what had happened. I went back to the archery shop and tried out several "top of the line" bows. I settled on a Mathews Switchback but concede they were all good. And they were much quieter and smoother than my "entry level" bow.
                    If I had it to do over again, I would have gone for the premium bow from the start.
                    I'd also encourage you to go to a reputable archery shop in your area and have them help you get set up with a bow. Test shoot as many as you want and pick the one that has the right feel. You will know it when you shoot it.
                    A good bow with quality sights, rest, case, arrows, etc. will set you back about a grand, more depending on the model.
                    I would get set up ASAP so you can practice....lots! I definitely wouldn't wait until just before deer season.
                    Good luck!
                    Last edited by rtread; 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Just buy a Mathews and be done with it. Best bows on the market hands down.

Comment

agree with sharp shooter..
                        Check my signature,
                        I have a 1 yr old DXT we can talk about if your interested..PM me.

Comment

Working...
                        X