No announcement yet.

diesel welder vs. gas welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can buy non-tax diesel for a welder.

the it is tempting to put it in your truck as well!

If you run it alot then that is a plus. Also get more hours out of a diesel engine than a gas.

That said I like my gas welder!

Comment

Well I decided on the miller trailblazer 302 BUT can't figure out diesel or gas. I was thinking diesel because I will be welding all day every day but why would it be bad to have a diesel welder on my rig?

Comment

I have never seen a pipeline welder with a Miller welder.Is there any out there that use them?

Comment

i see em frequently but is there any downside to having a diesel welder on my rig?

Comment

i would prefer not to have to pull a trailer if i dont need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Trap-Daddy View Post
              i see em frequently but is there any downside to having a diesel welder on my rig?
              see post #9

Comment

well i would like to know if anyone else has had this problem of vibrating your rig to pieces, ive never heard of that problem before

Comment

You will not have any vibrating with that 302 diesel no more than the gas

Comment

Originally posted by locoengineer View Post
                    if you are going to buy diesel, you would need to put it on a trailer
                    Disagree 100%. You don't have to put a diesel machine on a trailer, you. Can set it on the bed. Itsnot about how heavy the machine is but about how well the bed is built. My dad has a f550 with a FULL 8x12 x3/16 bed with tool boxes on bottom from front to back both sides. Its not a pipeliners bed this is a rig welders kinda truck bed. He has a lincoln sa250 settin against the headache rack .... truck total gross 16000+. And he also hooks up a 40 ft gooseneck to it and does hot shotin on the side and hauls our dozer with it... so yes a diesel machine.can fit in-on a truck bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Trap-Daddy View Post
                      well i would like to know if anyone else has had this problem of vibrating your rig to pieces, ive never heard of that problem before
                      On the.new.machines.they purr like a kitten. Now my dads sa250 is a 93 model and it does vibrate a little but not.much.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                        We've got a Miller Bobcat 250, its a air cooled gasser. It has a 10k watt generator, and welds great. My brother who is an ex-pipeliner/die hard lincoln fan, said he would have to consider getting one if he where still pipelining.

Only downside is the air cooled motor. When we used it during Ike, we quickly learned we should have gotten the liquid cooled diesel as we had 250 gallons of diesel sitting there, and we had to cylce it on an off to let it cool down. Meanwhile, the 4kw Terex Amida light plant (liquid cooled kubota diesel) ran for 5 days straight. Never turned it off.

Edit:
                        Ours is mounted on a trailer, with cutting rig, tool boxes & fab table....
                        I am curious why you had to turn it off to cool.
                        I have a Miller Bobcat 225 3 phase and I have run mine for a week and never turned it off.
                        I have run mine at pump stations using the 480 volt out put all day (16 hours)in the hot summer and still never had a problem all while it was in the back of my truck.

Now with that said I think the 302 is a tougher welder then the bobcat and I see both Lincon

I also like the Miller Pro 300. I have run one at 250 amps around the clock for 7 days and never shut it down. To me that was a real test of how good a welding maching Miller builds.

Comment

I ran a rig truck for over 10 yrs and had a lincoln 250 with no prob, with ethinol in gas no way i would bye a gas machine if it gonna sit for any period of time, if you use it every day go with gas but some plants wont let you in with a gas machine just my o2

Comment

Originally posted by muttleymike View Post
                            I ran a rig truck for over 10 yrs and had a lincoln 250 with no prob, with ethinol in gas no way i would bye a gas machine if it gonna sit for any period of time, if you use it every day go with gas but some plants wont let you in with a gas machine just my o2
                            Yea I have never understood the reason behind of the now gas welding machines in classified areas when a welding maching no matter how you generate the power makes a spark.

Comment

diesel if you can afford it

Comment

What are u gonna be doing w/ it is the Key question? What kinda welding / service ? I rig weld everyday for a living! I can answer your questions & I Have Personally owned/ used (alot) every machine that has been discussed in this forum...
                                They all work in a truck.... The only w/ bad vibration was the old Sa 250 w/ the diesel, great machines but wud shake the mirrors off the truck at low idle.... TB's are good machines for what they are designed to do..... If you have the $ then get the best you can, if you are going cheap then it really gets Serious about what kinda welding you will be doing! And selection gets crucial!
                                Last edited by bhdow; 01-05-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X