Rainstorm Trifecta.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainstorm Trifecta.......

For the people that know me know I'm a Trad guy and I live for bowhunting but I decided to see how the other side does it. Some good friends of mine bought Archery Country in Austin and I went up to the shop and was hanging out talking bowhunting. Well one thing or another happened and I started shooting a few of them bows with wheels on them and to my surprise it was pretty fun. And before I knew what was going on I had bought a fully rigged out Elite compound bow with all the good stuff. Got some FMJs and some Rage broadheads and some light-up nocks and every other item I would need to see if I could kill some critters. So my first trip out with this new modern gear was this last weekend and I think everyone knows what the weather was like , it rained for entire time we were hunting. I set up a groundblind and brushed it in on a scrape-line at the very back of the ranch on Friday midday and would return on Saturday before daylight. We wakeup to steady rain and know it will not be stopping anytime soon but I had rain gear and a solid mile walk so why not. So I get to my blind and the roof is caved in with about 50 gallons of water sitting in it , this is not going as planned. After getting the stand fixed I'm now soaked and cold the rain gear only worked to a point , ain't looking good. In the 45min wait until daylight I hear hogs off in the brush and can make out movement out in the rain now and then. It's starts to break light and now it's really cold and I see a few hogs off in the distance then along about 7:30am out comes a nice buck. I never had time to put binos on him just the rangefinder and it said 35yds so that's what I shot him for and it was right the arrow blew through him and stuck in the ground 10yds on the other side. Well I'll be danged this stuff really works that was some heart pounding fun way different than what I'm used to. Well it's still raining and I'm waiting to go track my buck and out walked a few hogs so I send a Rage into one of them and again the arrow blows clean through it and sails off in the distance.
    Now I have to wait even longer to go track because the hog ran the same direction the buck had went and here an hour later here comes 3 big Tom Turkey's. So I do what anyone would do and shot one of those guys with the same results an arrow off in the brush after going through him. The buck had never been seen on the ranch ( working that scrape line was his demise ) he is 20in inside spread and 22in outside nice solid 8pt buck. The hog did not make far and the Tom was sporting a 10in beard , not a bad first outing with the wheelbow. I won't be giving up my recurve anytime soon but the compound is a fun change , then they tell me Elite also makes a recurve guess that means I will be spending more money , dang you Archery Country !!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

What a hunt! Congratulation on the 3 fer!

Comment

Comment

Wowzers!! Sam that is great! I was the same way... shot trad gear for many years... because of several factors, not allowing me to keep in practice, I wounded a buck with my recurve... went and bought me one of them wheelie bow contraptions too... Suckers are deadly!! Still love my recurves, but just don't trust myself shooting an animal with 'em now since I don't practice regularly... That wheelie bow, I can just pick it up, fling a couple arras to make sure all the settings are right on the bow, and off to the woods... flung 5 arras this season so far... 1 coon, 3 hogs and a nice East Texas 10 point!! Welcome to the dark side! Thay's a bunch of us ol' stick an strang guys over here...

Comment

Heck all three of those animals are genuine trophy class!! Congratulations to you sir!

Comment

good trip, even better when you didn't get wet for nothing!

Comment

Sorry about the bad pics the weather was a little bad , I'm sure my Trad brothers are surprised but I have to say it was pretty dang fun. It's like a sniper rifle that shoots arrows , my Trad bows will always be the one for me but you can bet you bottom dollar more critters will fall to this new rig.....

Comment

Congratulations Sam!

Comment

That is awesome!! The perfect storm!

Comment

That's an awesome hunt!!! Congrats big time

Comment

Goodness
                          I guess those wheeled bows have some sort of attractant in them.

WAYDAGO Sam

Comment

I really like your buck...congrats on the buck and having fun with your new bow with wheels!

Comment

Heck of a morning hunt with the first kills with all the bells and whistles on your new compound. A huge Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X