2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
    I'd love a 204, but it just seems a waste on a custom to me. I think a CZ Varmint or Tikka Varmint (if you could find one) would fit the bill on a 204.

My thought on a custom 204 is that it's not a long range cartridge and a custom wouldn't take full advantage as another caliber would.
    Depends on your shooting discipline and the what the rifle will be used for. Not everybody will build a 6.5 Creedmore deer hunting rifle. Do you want to shoot steel at 1000 yards, hunt elk at 600 yds, participate in PRS competition, shoot clay pigeons at 500 yds, etc... The custom 17's and 20's are fully capable of harvesting coyotes, crows, and predators out to 400-500 yds. I've personally witnessed it. You need to know the environmental conditions, and have 100% confidence in your rifle just like other specialized cartridges. Personally, I have zero use for a 28 Nosler or 30 caliber Magnum, as I'd build a "fun gun" that I can shoot all day long in a heart beat. Different strokes for different folks.

Custom 17 Predator (modified 17 Rem) doing work
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmyKJRDx6A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmyKJRDx6A[/ame]

Comment

Blake,
      You're right. I was thinking the other action that is still in production.

Comment

20 Beggs which is probably my most accurate custom rifle.
        Deer/pig brains turn to mush

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          Depends on your shooting discipline and the what the rifle will be used for. Not everybody will build a 6.5 Creedmore deer hunting rifle. Do you want to shoot steel at 1000 yards, hunt elk at 600 yds, participate in PRS competition, shoot clay pigeons at 500 yds, etc... The custom 17's and 20's are fully capable of harvesting coyotes, crows, and predators out to 400-500 yds. I've personally witnessed it. You need to know the environmental conditions, and have 100% confidence in your rifle just like other specialized cartridges. Personally, I have zero use for a 28 Nosler or 30 caliber Magnum, as I'd build a "fun gun" that I can shoot all day long in a heart beat. Different strokes for different folks.

Custom 17 Predator (modified 17 Rem) doing work
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmyKJRDx6A
          Oh, I would definitely shoot crows out to 400yrds. That's actually why I want a 204. I just don't think I need a custom APR to achieve that.

Comment

Oh, I would definitely shoot crows out to 400yrds. That's actually why I want a 204. I just don't think I need a custom APR to achieve that.
            The furthest I have pushed my 204 is 278 yds on pigs. I'm not sure what the 32 grain vmax is doing there but it's enough to stone a 250lb boar. My son got into a herd of pigs and dropped 4 before they left at about 200 yds. Ear holed every one of them. It's an ar that has to weigh 12-15 pounds and has zero recoil

Crows under a feeder is comical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

man, this sucks... I just got all my parts ordered for a rifle, and a shop down here is building it now.

my wife is going to be ****** when I buy one of these too. LOL

Comment

Kyle,
                Just get her something shiny and she'll forgive you.

Comment

I am wanting to build a do all Texas rifle. I do reload and have narrowed it down to the following:

7mm-08
                  260 Rem
                  6.5x 284

Right now I am leaning towards the 6.5x284 because of the muzzle velo.

Any input on the 6.5x284 as a hunting rifle? Planned to run the 140 Berger in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Main Frame View Post
                    I am wanting to build a do all Texas rifle. I do reload and have narrowed it down to the following:

7mm-08
                    260 Rem
                    6.5x 284

Any input on the 6.5x284 as a hunting rifle? Planned to run the 140 Berger in it.

6.5x284 without a doubt out of those choices.

All are good. I've owned all three calibers and currently have two of those calibers in the safe in various rifles.

Comment

7mm-08
                      260 Rem
                      6.5x 284

I don't have any input, but it would be nice if manufacturers would make a 150gr. hunting bullet for some of these hotter .264 cartridges.

Comment

All great rounds. Flip a coin.

Comment

I don't have any input, but it would be nice if manufacturers would make a 150gr. hunting bullet for some of these hotter .264 cartridges.
                          Berger is working on a 155 right now. It should be out shortly.

IMO-the 140 is about max for anything other then the big magnums. That extra BC doesn't buy you a great deal if you can't start it out around 3000 fps.

Comment

7mm-08
                            260 Rem
                            6.5x 284

My daughter likes my 6.5x284 so much that she only let's me occasionally use it myself. Using 130 gr Berger VLD

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

150gr bullets in the 6.5’s will only be a pipe dream until manufacturers switch to 1:8” or faster twist barrels. Most currently use a 1:9” twist . Additionally heavier bullets are generally longer and may not fit in repeater type magazines

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                                150gr bullets in the 6.5’s will only be a pipe dream until manufacturers switch to 1:8” or faster twist barrels. Most currently use a 1:9” twist . Additionally heavier bullets are generally longer and may not fit in repeater type magazines
                                Now isn't that what customs are for?

Comment

Working...
                                X