Canvas tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canvas tents

Curious if any of you guys that head west routinely use canvas tents? I’m worried about going with canvas and having a hard time drying it out completely before storing it, or the humidity just ruining it while it’s in storage. I’d rather go canvas over synthetic, but I don’t want it to mildew and ruin in a few years either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get an already treated canvas wall tent, and treat it every few years. I ran mine a few times in some nasty wet conditions, and put it up in them as well. No issues before I sold it last year.

Comment

They will dry out surprisingly fast in the sunshine. We've had wet, deep snows when hunting and simply pulled up the sides when it came time to take down camp. Let them dry out before folding the tent. A good rain fly is great for keeping most of the tent dry in wet or snowy weather.
      We have had to put it back up at home to dry out on occasion. Hose it down to get any mud off the bottom and let a nice sunny day dry it out and set the canvas.
      They are really not hard or time consuming to set up, internal frame is the way to go if possible.
      Make sure it's dry when stored and keep it out of a moist area and it should be fine.
      They do make a tent cleaner for mildew stains.

Comment

Get a good Montana Canvas wall tent. It has an internal frame. Get the rain fly for it and the porch cover as well. They are made to endure nasty weather. If you have to drag up camp in wet conditions, just set it back up when you get home. The sunlight will dry it out and also help kill any mold.

Comment

If I go canvas, it’ll be a Davis. I love canvas and would have no problem buying another one(have a Kodiak Canvas 10x10 now)if I was still in NM, but just worried about the Texas humidity ruining a $1700 tent.

Comment

We are going to try this model out in The sawtooth range this fall.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwqS20zL_4E"]Wall Tent Review 14 x 16 Davis - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Davis usually has a summer sale, check their website.
              If you order from them and opt for the internal frame they will make the angles for you and you go buy the conduit to cut yourself, they will give you exact measurements to cut the pipe.

Elk camp and all this snow fell in one night. Warm and toasty inside, dry too. The rainfly allows the snow to slide right off.
              Attached Files

Comment

We have a 14x16 Davis and love it

Comment

I talked with a guy that is renting out complete camp set ups. From the Tent down to the table and chairs with a trailer to haul it all. Great guy and easy to work with. We are looking at just renting a tent but the whole package deal to just pick it up and drop it off was sure interesting. No worring about storage. I had a canvas tent and the dang mice got to it. Sure sucked loosing that.

Comment

For a base camp a canvas tent can't be beat. As stated above if it gets wet just set it up or lay it out in the sun and let it dry when you get home.

Comment

I believe you can rent them somewhere in Denver also, maybe even Davis does this. Good way to get your feet wet and see if it's what you want or need. It does add a significant amount of equipment you have top haul to camp. We can fit our elk camp in the bed of the F250 with a topper on it and on the 5.5x12' trailer we haul the atv on with the poles. That is everything we need for a week's hunt.
                      Make sure you get a big enough tent. Just the 2 or us but we've squeezed 4 guys in our 12x14, it was not comfy. 2 folks is best in it with all their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        I believe you can rent them somewhere in Denver also, maybe even Davis does this. Good way to get your feet wet and see if it's what you want or need. It does add a significant amount of equipment you have top haul to camp. We can fit our elk camp in the bed of the F250 with a topper on it and on the 5.5x12' trailer we haul the atv on with the poles. That is everything we need for a week's hunt.
                        Make sure you get a big enough tent. Just the 2 or us but we've squeezed 4 guys in our 12x14, it was not comfy. 2 folks is best in it with all their stuff.
                        Yes, we squeezed 5 into 14x16 but it was very tight. Doable but not ideal at all.
                        Last edited by LWC; 06-03-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

we have used the same canvas wall tent for 30+ years every year. that thing is the anchor of the elk hunt because there is always a warm and dry place to come back to and have a good meal. it someone told you otherwise they must be mistaken

Comment

We use one yearly, no matter what it goes through on the hunt we set it up once home and dry it out...then store it properly.
                            YouTube is your friend if you’ve never folded a canvas tent.

Comment

Working...
                            X