Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cycling accident 2017

My cycling accident 4-26-2017

On Wednesday evening I went for my 13 mile after work ride. I generally leave my house around 7pm.
    I was fitted earlier in the morning by Phillip at Shama cycles and was eager to test out the new Saddle and fit.
    I've been a recreational cyclist for about 10 or 12 years..
    I was feeling pretty good but still just warming up more than anything. Mile one down
    comfort was ok not to bad. Mile two, feeling a little awkward because I'm leaning forward a little more, this position takes a little getting used to is what was on my mind.
    I live in Katy and my route is about 3.25 miles.
    I pass the YMCA to my left and make the turn I also pass two Katy police officers on my right who were standing in the HEB parking lot talking. Sun is out and not a cloud in site.
    As I pass the (round-about) HEB is on my right side and I am heading south. I am now approaching the (entrance - exit) to HEB, I "checked" the lady coming out of the HEB parking lot, she obviously was in a huge hurry and wasn't waiting for me to go by nor was the blue gray car behind her. I always make eye contact with drivers to be sure they see me so I can make a decision to continue or stop and allow them to to pass..
    The problem is when the drivers are indecisive in making a decision to STOP ( law is STOP not rolling top) I by law have the right of way.
    In this case both Car's decided to rush through as if it was a race and not allow me to continue.

This was my last memory of the two vehicles.

MY MEMORIES Here are in order,

I hear loud crash

My entire body is consumed by a large white object (truck)

I'm either sitting or laying down starring into the sky begging God for a chance to breath. This moment felt like an eternity to me!!! I never ever thought of giving into the moment but just felt like if I could have just one more chance to breath what would I do?!?! I even had a flash moment of thinking (I've never been Baptized) !! What am I gonna do?!?!

Next this Person standing over me, is begging me to breath "just breath, please!!! just breath"!!! I'm staring back at him thinking , IM TRYING !!!
    I'm trying !!!

****I got a breath****

I am humbled by this situation for another chance at life. For the opportunity to live.

I give thanks for God for giving me air when I needed it. I give thanks for the man who stood over me begging me to just breath. I give thanks to the military medic holding my head and telling me I was ok and that he had me and promised me I was gonna be ok .. i give thanks to a man named "Sam" who called my wife and promised to deliver the news gracefully (success) she came to my side STRONG encouraging and never allowed me to see weakness or fear in her eyes. I so badly needed to know my wife was ok and would be ok.
    The staff at Katy Herman were awesome especially the nurses.

I can walk talk and breath.

Humbly speaking, I'm alive!!

Watch out for cyclists, cyclists watch out for vehicles..

Sergio Nuncio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad your ok, could have been much worse.

Comment

Glad your ok. I know you have the right to ride on the road, but after going thru this have you thought about riding on a bike trail in a park? I know there are a lot of really nice parks with paved bike lanes that would be safe for you. I'm not a biker so my view may be squid but I don't understand why people ride on public roads where they are putting themselves at such a huge risk.

Comment

Wow Sergio - so glad you are still with us! Hope you heal-up fast! I had a close call myself this morning riding fast downhill on a rural access road. A lady passed me then slowed and turned right in front of me. I was able to swerve just enough to avoid hitting her going about 30. Be safe out there!

Comment

Man...I know that feeling of never thinking you are going to breathe again. Not sure how many times I've had it knocked out of me in my ball days & one time when I slightly cracked a rib as a youngster. It's creepy for sure.

That's scary stuff!! Was there a report or any charges filed against the drivers??

Comment

Glad you are ok. Moments like that really put things into perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Man, glad you are ok

Comment

Glad your ok....
                I've been the victim of the old "left hand turn" myself....
                IDK what the law says. Specifically about bicycles...
                But to me.. If your a vehicle on the road....
                You follow, all the rules of the road.. And assume no "right of way"......

Comment

Wow man, I'm a cyclist as well.. I'm glad your ok

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! Glad it was not worst. Hope you heal up quickly....

Comment

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
                      Glad your ok, could have been much worse.

Thanks bud !!

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                        Glad you are ok. Moments like that really put things into perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Perspective I have indeed !!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                          Glad your ok. I know you have the right to ride on the road, but after going thru this have you thought about riding on a bike trail in a park? I know there are a lot of really nice parks with paved bike lanes that would be safe for you. I'm not a biker so my view may be squid but I don't understand why people ride on public roads where they are putting themselves at such a huge risk.
                          That seems like a good idea to a non-cyclist, but walkers don't much care for cyclist riding by them in a narrow trail doing 20-25 mph and most walking tails have a 5 mph speed limit. We have to ride on the road and request that motorist pay attention and not kill us please or run us off the road which is very common.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

OP, glad you're okay. I love cycling but with my work schedule, I can't get out in the daylight so I'm stuck indoors. For the record, I don't have a trail within 30 minutes of me so its road or nothing...

Hold on guys. My popcorn is still popping.... They don't much care for cyclists around these parts. I'm sure the haters will be along shortly.

Comment

This does not need to devolve into a cyclist bashing thread. Those who do not like sharing the roads with bicycles have made their opinions very clear on many previous threads. Your opinions are duly noted.

Comment

Working...
                              X