No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in! Have a boat this year so am thinking about using that as long as there is enough water for the ramps to stay open. Anyone know what time they open the gates at cedar breaks so you can drop a boat in?

Comment

As far as I know gates do not open until 6am

Comment

What is the shooting test like?

Comment

I am gonna go by Archery Country this week since I work 5 minutes from there. I will let you know.

Comment

My buddy and I both got selected! Going to take the archery test next week.

Comment

Go to Double G in georgtown. Have to pay 20 dollars. U will shoot one arrow at each of five different 3D targets placed from 15 yards to about 27 yds. Three times for total of fifteen shots..Have to score at least 120 out of 150. They will show u the scoring on the targets. Call Paul before u go (512) 868-5530 make sure he has room for u. Super nice people over there. I have already qualified. Will be my first year to hunt there

Comment

Originally posted by LittleA View Post
                Go to Double G in georgtown. Have to pay 20 dollars. U will shoot one arrow at each of five different 3D targets placed from 15 yards to about 27 yds. Three times for total of fifteen shots..Have to score at least 120 out of 150. They will show u the scoring on the targets. Call Paul before u go (512) 868-5530 make sure he has room for u. Super nice people over there. I have already qualified. Will be my first year to hunt there
                Went there last Sunday right b4 closing both my brother and I passed.. Yes good folks indeed!!

Comment

Anyone taken the test at Archery Country in Austin Yet? Im planning on trying to go later this week

Comment

I did in last Saturday. Another gentleman did the test after me. You will do an indoor shooting. It is much pleasant in such hot days. You will shoot 15 arrows on a deer picture which is hanged 20 yards away. It is fair easy, just make sure you check and remember where to aim. It is hard to see the score circle on the picture from 20 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
                      I did in last Saturday. Another gentleman did the test after me. You will do an indoor shooting. It is much pleasant in such hot days. You will shoot 15 arrows on a deer picture which is hanged 20 yards away. It is fair easy, just make sure you check and remember where to aim. It is hard to see the score circle on the picture from 20 yards.
                      Really all 15 shots at one target at 20 yards?

I wonder why they get to do it different than Double G.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleA View Post
                        We shot 3 arrows at each of the 5 targets not just 1 arrow per.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                          Really all 15 shots at one target at 20 yards?

I wonder why they get to do it different than Double G.
                          Yes, 15 arrows at one static range target. And they have done that way in last 2 years. I think they may have an agreement with Lake G. office that it is an acceptable way to test.

Even with this setup, it is not easy to get all arrows into the 10-point circle. It is small and invisible from 20 yards. Of course, it is hard to miss the 8-point circle either by an experienced archer, since it is big.

By my understanding, this proficient test is not for competition purpose, it is just to make sure we can shoot straight and hit a vital area on a deer. Personally, I like the old way Lake G. office tested, it is more like a 3-D shooting competition, it was fun.
                          Last edited by cy100; 08-07-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Took my test today, I can't say enough good things about Double G. Great people over there stop by and see'em.

Comment

Took my test today at Archery Country.

Looking forward to next Saturday to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                                Took my test today at Archery Country.

Looking forward to next Saturday to set up.
                                What area you looking to set up in?

This will be my first yr hunting there.

Where do most of the hunters set up? Which unit?

Comment

Working...
                                X