No announcement yet.

SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiberius - really not trying to discourage you. Glad you are having a good season. However orange on all the time and one buck are basic SHNF rules.

Comment

....................... must........bite.........tounge .................. people......will.......think............I'm. ....... complaining. ........

Comment

I need to get on here more often, this stuff is comical. I may not be a lifetime licence holder, but i can understand plan english that says 1 buck in the NF. Carry on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know how much longer he will have that life time hunting license? Killing that many buck in the Sam....what an #$@%&!!

Comment

Originally posted by tiberiuswade View Post
            I'm done with the SAM, going other place to finish season

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            He's actually been done after the first buck!!

Comment

Comment

I've been researching Sam Houston National Forest a lot lately to plan a squirrel hunt in February and it is very confusing.

OnX map shows the Sam Houston WMA (which is 1 buck) as limited to just those forest lands in Walker County and everything outside of that to be "general forest" which would fall under county bag limits (2 bucks).

However, I found other literature from both USDA and TPWD indicating that ALL of Sam Houston NF is WMA.

I could see how people would be confused if using OnX or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                  Okay guys -
                  I did this a couple years ago and it seemed to work good as a reference point.
                  I have added multiple links to the rules for the SAM below.

When I started on this thread I was a spike. As a matter of fact, I came to TBH because I was looking for more information on the SAM. As I have said before, most of the guys on here are pretty cool.
                  Here are a few of tips;
                  1. This is mostly an informative thread where people chat and cutup; hunting the SAM is the initial thread that binds. However, it isn't for bashing or just running off at the mouth. Please take that somewhere else.
                  2. Many of these guys on here know each other and their idiosyncrasies.
                  3. Don't splash in and expect everyone to understand you and where you are coming from. Get to know the guys and they will get to know you.
                  4. Don't ask stupid questions like where are your GPS coordinates, etc.
                  5. Do your homework. Some rule questions are still debated here, but if you ask if you can hand corn in the SAM you will get ignored.
                  6. Enjoy the hunt.

Of course no one can enforce these suggestions, but many people enjoy this thread. If you can't do these simple things please don't waste it for the rest of us.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...TELPRDB5292305
                  Here you go.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                    I've been researching Sam Houston National Forest a lot lately to plan a squirrel hunt in February and it is very confusing.

OnX map shows the Sam Houston WMA (which is 1 buck) as limited to just those forest lands in Walker County and everything outside of that to be "general forest" which would fall under county bag limits (2 bucks).

However, I found other literature from both USDA and TPWD indicating that ALL of Sam Houston NF is WMA.

I could see how people would be confused if using OnX or something similar.
                    i would definitely go off of the TPWD regulations in the APH book.

Comment

Hey guys, I just posted up the Texas Premium Buck hunt trip Marty won this year. We got it done this last weekend. Go check it out.

Comment

Congrats on a nice buck Tim!

I’ll be in the Sam again trying to fill my doe tag, in other words, to cash in my 5th tag for the year. First time ever for me.

Comment

Well it didn’t happen today. Seen a deer as I got to my tree this morning. Green eyes with my light. Never blew at me or heard it walk off. Never seen her again till I left at 11:30. Anyway at 9:20 I seen mamma and two fawns come in but too far away. And that’s all I seen this morning. Prolly try again tomorrow.

Comment

Hey y’all new guy to the forum here. Got some questions about hunting SHNF. Not able to get to the private land I normally hunt at this year so I’m thinking about trying public land. This is closest spot to me. I’d be hunting with a rifle. Would I be able to scout from aerial maps find a spot and go sit? Is there even a chance to see anything or are there to many other other rifle hunters shooting like crazy and scaring everything? Is it pretty quiet mid week or are there still lots of hunters out? Like I said never hunted public land so this is new territory for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miketex2016 View Post
                              Hey y’all new guy to the forum here. Got some questions about hunting SHNF. Not able to get to the private land I normally hunt at this year so I’m thinking about trying public land. This is closest spot to me. I’d be hunting with a rifle. Would I be able to scout from aerial maps find a spot and go sit? Very Unlikely for morning hunts.Is there even a chance to see anything (yes) or are there to many other other rifle hunters shooting like crazy and scaring everything? Depending on where and when you go. Is it pretty quiet mid week or are there still lots of hunters out? Midweek is much bettervLike I said never hunted public land so this is new territory for me.
                              Check out my other post of the rules. Know them before you go out. There is a solid chance you will run into the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Miketex2016 View Post
                                Hey y’all new guy to the forum here. Got some questions about hunting SHNF. Not able to get to the private land I normally hunt at this year so I’m thinking about trying public land. This is closest spot to me. I’d be hunting with a rifle. Would I be able to scout from aerial maps find a spot and go sit? Is there even a chance to see anything or are there to many other other rifle hunters shooting like crazy and scaring everything? Is it pretty quiet mid week or are there still lots of hunters out? Like I said never hunted public land so this is new territory for me.
                                Hot Rod is right. You will have a good chance to talk to the game warden so be sure you are following the rules. Deer get tough to hunt in the late season. They have patterned the hunters. There are less hunters now than opening weekend but that can vary too. As far as just picking a spot, walking in and setting up, I would not expect to see anything. However you just never know. This is public land and anything can happen, both good and bad. I have been hunting the forest for over 30 years and lets just say it took many of those years to figure it out. If you bowhunt, there are a couple bow only areas so gun hunters are not a big concern.

Comment

Working...
                                X