Trailer Tire Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Tire Opinions

I don't trust the cheap factory tires on the new toy hauler. I figure an upgrade is cheap insurance given the weight. Looking at Maxxis and Goodyear Endurance. Which one is the better choice? Both E1 rated, similar speed rating etc. Goodyears are $200 cheaper for the set with the mail in rebate. Fine paying extra if I'm getting more. Opinions on google seem to be split on which is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the Goodyear endurance on my horse trailers and they have been good. But I don't know that one is better than the other.

Comment

What ever you get check speed rating. Many trailer tires are only 60 mph or do. I have gone to running LT tires on my trailers.

Comment

Have run Carlisle for ever without a problem. Don't really believe the bad rep. I really take care of my tires and watch air like a hawk. Did catch the goodyears on sale recently for a bumper pull of mine. They look good and were cheaper than Carlisle. Don't have much use on them yet. Get the proper weight rating or over rating and watch your air and keep tires covered.

Comment

I think a lot of the tire issues are they don't get used but a few times a year...with a long span in between..then sit in the sun for the rest of the year. On tarailers i have used weekly..never an issue, but the ones i use 2 or 2 times a year have caused problems.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            What ever you get check speed rating. Many trailer tires are only 60 mph or do. I have gone to running LT tires on my trailers.
            x2.

While I think the newer ST have higher speed ratings these days, I've also gone to LT tires and not looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              I have read LT tires can cause an issue with the inspections being followed now. No firsthand experience. Also, both of these have speed ratings faster than I will be towing and the E weight rating is enough for the trailer maxed which it wont be. Was a concern also with the current factory tires, slightly underrated for the weight as well. Verified the rims can handle the 80psi for an E rating.

Comment

I haven't used either but I've had good luck with Hartlands. Which ever you pick, get more tire than you need, total load rating for all four tires should well exceed the loaded trailer weight. If you have the room, going up just one tire size will gain you quite a bit in load rating. I've also notice that the physical weight between two tires of equal size can be off by 5 pounds or more, in my mind the heavier tire should be better constructed. I use my car hauler the most and while it's only rated 7k, the tires are rated 11k. I regularly pull it and a 5k jeep at 80-85 when condition permit with no issues.

Comment

All the trailer tires I have tried are very disappointing. Goodyear, Carlisle, etc.. I have been able to lessen this by jacking up and supporting the seldom used trailer's weight with blocks and letting the tires just hang. It is more work but when I found these half moon shaped devices that just lift the trailer when I pull forward it made this option much easier.
                  Also, always check your tire pressures loaded prior to departure.
                  Last edited by WCI; 08-17-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I run these on my trailer and absolutely love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                      I have read LT tires can cause an issue with the inspections being followed now. No firsthand experience. Also, both of these have speed ratings faster than I will be towing and the E weight rating is enough for the trailer maxed which it wont be. Was a concern also with the current factory tires, slightly underrated for the weight as well. Verified the rims can handle the 80psi for an E rating.
                      In my case, my trailer manufacturer installed LT tires on my rig.

But from what I can find, if inspectors are failing trailers for LT tires, they're not reading the law correctly: http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/201605352-1.pdf

Hope this helps.

20.30 Tires.
                      Every motor vehicle (including autocycles, motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, and mobile home) registered in this state and operated on the streets and highways of this state and required to be inspected shall be equipped with tires in proper and safe condition.

1. Inspection Procedure.
                      Tires should be inspected visually and the tread should be measured with a tread depth gauge calibrated in 32nds of an inch if it does not have tread wear indicators. Some tire manufacturers have placed tread wear indicators at 5/32nds of an inch, do not reject tires so equipped unless the tread depth is less than 2/32nds of an inch when measured with an approved tire gauge.
                      No tire shall be passed to be in safe operating condition unless it meets the visual and tread depth requirements set forth in these regulations.
                      Inspection of the spare tire is not required. All tires must appear to be properly inflated - even though a gauge check is not required.
                      The tread depth requirement of these regulations shall apply to both tires of each set of dual wheels. The other requirements will also apply to both tires in each set of dual wheels.

Dragster tires or racing slicks without sufficient tread or which have had all tread removed are not acceptable.

2. Inspect for and reject if:
                      a. Any tire with a localized worn spot that exposes the ply or cord through the tread.
                      b. Any tire with tread or sidewall cracks, cuts, or snags (as measured on the outside of the tire) in excess of one inch in any direction and deep enough to expose the body cords.
                      c. Any tire which has any visible bumps, bulges, or knots apparently related to tread or sidewall separation or partial failure of the tire structure, including bead area.
                      d. Any tire which has been regrooved or recut below the original groove depth, except special (regroovable) tires which have extra undertread rubber for this purpose (commercial vehicles only) and are identified as such.
                      e. Any dual wheel assembly where the side of one tire is in contact with the other. (Any dual tires that contact each other.)
                      f. Any tire that is marked “Not for Highway Use,” “Farm Use Only,” “For Racing Purposes Only,” or with other use restrictions that would indicate the tire is not meant for highway use. This would include vehicles using temporary spares, inflatables, or small high pressure spares.
                      g. Any tire which has been repaired temporarily by the use of blowout patches and boots. Nail hole plugs or patches are not cause for rejection.
                      h. Any tire without tread wear indicators worn so that less than 2/32 of an inch of tread design depth remains when measured with a tread depth gauge at the lowest points in any two adjacent major grooves in the center or middle of the tire.
                      i. Any tire with tread wear indicators worn so that the tread wear indicators contact the road in any two adjacent major grooves in the center or middle of the tire.

Comment

Thanks. I'm not seeing any LT tires with a high enough load rating in the size though. I may be stuck with ST tires.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                          Thanks. I'm not seeing any LT tires with a high enough load rating in the size though. I may be stuck with ST tires.
                          That's the issue, true enough. We upgraded to a 16" and got the LTs. My trailer is only 10k gross.

Comment

Maxxis m8008 get good reviews on the RV forum.

Comment

Working...
                            X